What and Why do you SS?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
This single-speed sub-forum has been up now for more than 5 months, and it is apparent that while there are many single geared folks, there is no single way to do so. So lets hear why you single-speed, what you like most about it and why you chose your rig?

ellen

ArmyOfNone

Great post! I had a couple of friends over my place the other day and i was showing them my bikes. When i showed them my ss, they looked at me and asked "why?"

I think for me the things that stand out are the fact that i dont have to worry about what gear im in. I just pedal. I focus on whats ahead of me. Not waiting for a Fing gear to change.

Secondly, the elements can just tear apart the bikes transmission. Especially at a place like six mile where it can get very muddy. We were riding at night fairly consistantly and i think for 3 straight weeks someone broke something on their geared bike. Once J had to race back to the parking lot to get his car to pick someone up bc we were so far out.

Last, it makes me feel pretty good about myself when i can ride w/ guys who are on gearies and im hangin tough with them on my SS. I havent been riding all that long and i feel that it has helped me progress quite a bit.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Single-speeding was more accidental for me. Few years back, I broke my right thumb. With a few races left in the season, I taped my hand into the shape of the handlebar and proceeded to finish the local race series shifting only with my left hand. I sorta got into it. So, I planted the seed in my husband’s head that I wanted to try a single-speed. A few weeks later, and some online shopping, my old voodoo hardtail was striped down and ready for a ride.

The choice of parts was strictly by word of mouth and what my husband, Art could find online that was cheap. I even had to hit our parts bin. No dumpster diving needed, as Art saves everything. I showed up at Allaire to race without even ever trying it. I was over geared with 32x18. Next week Art put on a 16 and I took it to Ringwwod. I didn't want to walk, so I rode in a circle for an hour.:mad2:

The bike sat in rack all winter, as I wasn’t sure if this was for me. Come spring I put the 18 cog back on and went to the Running of the Dogs with no more practice and little expectations. I turned out 6 laps and had a blast!!. Not only was it like recreating racing it was like bringing out my Mr Hyde from Dr Jeckel. Brings out the animal instinct that is hidden in the little girl.

BTW - WE NEED MORE GIRLS OUT THERE!!!

So in a nut shell: I love the challenge of the climbing on a single-speed and how it transforms my attitude. I'm not big on walking, so I gear light and plan to go the distance. As for rig, I like the fact that my husband and I cobbled stuff together as we went. It has been an inspiring progression. I still don’t spend enough time on the ss, but when I do it's quality time.

;)

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
wow, a real post!

well, i got bit by the SS bug at deer park last summer when CEM let me ride his c-dale for about two miles. it was like being a little kid on a bmx bike again. so simple, just pedal and go. no gears, no fancy-smancy stuff. just a bike. i really love the challenge of the SS and like AON said, it feels good to hang with geared guys. plus if i get tired on hills it's ok to walk. i mean, i do only have one gear!! :D

in before somehow this very good thread goes WAY off topic.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This single-speed sub-forum has been up now for more than 5 months, and it is apparent that while there are many single geared folks, there is no single way to do so. So lets hear why you single-speed, what you like most about it and why you chose your rig?

ellen

Ok I'm new to this but I do have answers...

1. I have an SS because all the cool kids are doing it. Seriously, I would never have bothered on my own because it really doesn't make sense on the surface.

2. I like the lighter bike. I don't really have problems shifting on the fly. Mayeb when my bike is a tad older but even on the dinosuar it was never an issue.

3. I chose my bike based on having an extra frame and reason #1. Old derailleur as tensioner, etc etc. I'm actually still in the process of converting. My bike is actually a geared bike that doesn't shift right now. In the next few weeks I'll shave more parts and so on.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I keep procrastinating hoping this ss fad is going to fizzle out. Probably not. The 29 concept has intrigued me for awhile, and figure that if I jump in, it'll be on a 29 ss.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh, yeah, the 29er thing, forgot to mention that (btw steve...how much is that mary in the window..). i rode bobw's Karate Monkey and was hooked. initially it felt awkward, like riding a circus bike, but as soon as i got in the woods it was great.

i know we had gone back and forth about durability (thanks for the new avatar, btw) on the wheels and despite beating norm and everyone else over the head with my 'i really did hit a tree and yes it's the only one on PP' stuff, i'm concerned too. only time and miles will really decide that one.

Shaggz

A strong 7
if I do jump into the arena (i have been driving jdog crazy with cdale build questions) but my mood of the day is this, rigid:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/one9.html

This bike has been on my drool list for some time, and will give me the option to go geared if the ss thing does not work out for me.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
niners were on my list too...they are pretty sweet looking bikes.

but, ultimately i wanted to buy locally. the mary was already on my list so it wasn't much of a stretch.

BiknBen

Cheap!!!

I couldn't afford a bike with gears, etc. Haro Mary is the best I could do! Simple as that.

I blew the rest of my wad on a SystemSIX. ;)

walter

Fourth Party
I bought my first ss as an impulse buy in 2004, a cannondale 1fg, then I built up a chameleon ss, then a rocky mountain flow, and now my mary. For me, alot of it has to do with mechanics and time, less parts, less to break, more time riding. I may not be the fastest guy on an ss, but you do get that feeling of accomplishment after making your way up a hill, or clearing a rough section, or passing someone on a gearie(or so I hear). Also like Fred said, no thinking involved, just pedal your ass off. I feel guilty typing this, looking at mary in all her glory, then I look to my left and see the Cannondale Rush sitting here that I borrowed from Jdog.

Hey Shaggz, isnt the Niner Sir 9 the one that lets you go ss or geared?

Shaggz

A strong 7
yep that's the one. at first blush, it seems like an easy out, if the ss thing does not suit me. however, there would be some additional cost involved to get it back to geared, which would keep me honest. realistically, i don't see this in the immediate future, a stretch would say fall or next spring.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
after he drops a few more lbs he's welcome to it. the rims are dicey. :D

scalpel6

Gears are your friend

I am trying to understand the love for the SS. I have been riding XTR for 2 years and never had a issue. Why pass up the ability to go faster? :hmmm:

That being said I plan on picking up a Cannondale 29er this summer. :D
I feel quilty riding with my wonderful gears on group rides with all you Single speeders.

walter

Fourth Party
I am trying to understand the love for the SS. I have been riding XTR for 2 years and never had a issue. Why pass up the ability to go faster? :hmmm:

That being said I plan on picking up a Cannondale 29er this summer. :D
I feel quilty riding with my wonderful gears on group rides with all you Single speeders.

Bill, are you going waiting for a production 29 ss, or are you going to have J build you a custom like his?

Shaggz

A strong 7
all of their colors are great - the root beer on the new mcr is great too. tang/godzilla/hot tamale - all great. i think there was a guy on this board who sold a hot tamale niner last year.

Top Bottom