My MUSS

SpartaBard

I have my ss complete in one piece. Shaggz came over and helped me fill up the tires since I do not have a floor pump :)o ). I put some platform pedals on it and we rode it around a bit. I will put some Candy C on when them arrive.

The only other modification I will make at this point is the rear cog. I definitely will need to go to a lower gear, maybe 19 or 20. Heythorp thanks for the offer for the 18, but I need something lower.

The 15.5" Bianchi frame fits me perfect. Thanks to whomever said it would (Heythorp, maybe Norm ???).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool! Post up when you want to take it out. I suggest LM as a good place to get your SS toes wet.

SpartaBard

Well now that's aggressive. I'd throw a 20 on for now.

That is what I was thinking, the 16t feels great on the road, but I imagine it would be killer on a trail. I am going to look at the gear ratios on my Epic and find one that feels good, and then figure out what would work in the MUSS. I am thinking about a 20t.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
stock is 32/16 its way too hard. I think the 19 is a good gear for beginners around here. I know most poeple do 32/18 but they are also a bit more serious type of ryder.

More casual riders like Brad and myself do not need the 18, a 19 or 20 would be more fun because you will get up more hills and have a more pleasurable experience. Which is what biking should be..

Biking is pain. Ask Jake.

SpartaBard

stock is 32/16 its way too hard. I think the 19 is a good gear for beginners around here. I know most poeple do 32/18 but they are also a bit more serious type of ryder.

More casual riders like Brad and myself do not need the 18, a 19 or 20 would be more fun because you will get up more hills and have a more pleasurable experience. Which is what biking should be..

yeah, I am not racing anything anytime soon. I plan on using it to just ride around, mainly down south (of rt 80 that is) since it is also rigid.

heythorp - did you say you put a susp. on your SASS?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is what I was thinking, the 16t feels great on the road, but I imagine it would be killer on a trail. I am going to look at the gear ratios on my Epic and find one that feels good, and then figure out what would work in the MUSS. I am thinking about a 20t.

Don't go lower than a 20. You're a stronger rider than you give yourself credit for. Anything lower than that and you'll spin out too much. I would even consider a 19 if I were you. Yeah maybe it's a little tough at first but you'll do fine.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
brad, don't listen to these people. or reason for that matter. keep the gearing and platform pedals and head straight for the wall at mahlon. don't stop till you've made it up. :D

SpartaBard

yes i have a front shock on the SASS, well its off right now but you know what i mean.

I road it with the shock from day one. However this past Sat i used the shock then for Sunday i took off the shock and road it rigid.

A shock is pretty darn mandatory imho. Again biking should be fun. all the power to the people who ride rigid, I just dont get it.

Well, I will start with it rigid, and see of it goes... I don't plan on taking it out much at MD.

SpartaBard

brad, don't listen to these people. or reason for that matter. keep the gearing and platform pedals and head straight for the wall at mahlon. don't stop till you've made it up. :D

I may get eaten by a mountain lion before that happens...

Maurice

Can't go wrong with something like this, congrats

067524e9b4.jpg

I run 34x18 or 32x17 on my Surly 26". That gear takes me to the top of puke hill at Round Valley when I'm in shape. For some reason I thought for a long time that I was running 32x18 until I checked the other day...

So don't be a PUSS, listen to what Sean says ;)

Maurice

SpartaBard

I will tool around with the 32x16, see how it feels and go from there... If I am absolutely killing myself then I will head to a 19 or 20, if it is slightly difficult I will go for heythorps 18.

Nice pic.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp bailed after five miles the first time he road the SASS w/ 32x16...@ Lewis Morris.

give it a shot but me thinks you will find it too difficult to start with.

Top Bottom