My winter training program

ArmyOfNone

Sooo heres what i found while doing some searching. I picked this because it seems to have some variety and there are a few phases to it. Im hoping it will help me progress so i can stay a lil closer to you guys come spring time.

although everyone else will be doing the same thing. Thus becomeing even more faster than i. I cant win!

http://fasttandem.com/Intervals/Intervals.htm

If you care too, please post your 50 cents (your thoughts are more than 2 to me!)

Shaggz

A strong 7
Actually, what he really wants to say is, "Shut Up and Pedal, damnit!". Norm and Hethorp keep drilling the more time in the saddle the better, into my head. Turn down the lights and turn up the radio.

heythorp

Actually, what he really wants to say is, "Shut Up and Pedal, damnit!". Norm and Hethorp keep drilling the more time in the saddle the better, into my head. Turn down the lights and turn up the radio.

No NO, that is only when the inner voice slips past the security system

lancerracer

What are your goals for the season? Do you want to race? When do you plan on starting to race?
Say your first race is in April. What I would focus on from now until the beginning of March is BASE. This is going to be mostly easy with some light thrown in.
I will elaborate later!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fred,

Read and understand this description of a level 3 workout. As a note, level 2 is considered "all day pace".

Typical intensity of fartlek workout, 'spirited' group ride, or briskly moving paceline. More frequent/greater sensation of leg effort/fatigue than at level 2. Requires concentration to maintain alone, especially at upper end of range, to prevent effort from falling back to level 2. Breathing deeper and more rhythmic than level 2, such that any conversation must be somewhat halting, but not as difficult as at level 4. Recovery from level 3 training sessions more difficult than after level 2 workouts, but consecutive days of level 3 training still possible if duration is not excessive and dietary carbohydrate intake is adequate.

Do this as many hours a week as you can handle. In 8 weeks you'll feel like you gained a ton on what you are now. As a warning, you need to be dedicated to pound this out on a trainer day after day. It's not a walk in the park.

This is level 4. This means you're going too hard:

Just below to just above TT effort, taking into account duration, current fitness, environmental conditions, etc. Essentially continuous sensation of moderate or even greater leg effort/fatigue. Continuous conversation difficult at best, due to depth/frequency of breathing. Effort sufficiently high that sustained exercise at this level is mentally very taxing - therefore typically performed in training as multiple 'repeats', 'modules', or 'blocks' of 10-30 min duration. Consecutive days of training at level 4 possible, but such workouts generally only performed when sufficiently rested/recovered from prior training so as to be able to maintain intensity.

Good luck.

ArmyOfNone

HI HI HI

(i appologize in advance bc my fingers kept typing...this may be a bit long winded) :) :)

So I do plan on racing come this season. How much im not really to sure. I guess as long as it stays fun then ill race as much as i can. I also hope just to become overall a stronger rider. I know it will take some time and the change wont come over night. Good thing spring is still a few months away!

I have tried just sittin on the bike in the trainer and spinning. Id kick it up a bit every now and then while i was on but it quickly became boring and excrutiating as all i could do was look at the clock.

i tried a couple of workouts i found online that were time based, and it was a bit more fun and the time flew by much faster that i was tryin to keep on a schedule.

With those there was no progression and i couldnt see myself getting any stronger in the future. So i stumbled upon this and it looks like it just may work.

Some may think its taking the fun out of riding. But the only fun Im learning can only be had outside! Riding indoors is sooooo terrible. But i guess it must be done. I guess if i didnt care so much about getting better, i wouldnt worry bout a regemin. But i guess its to late for that. The fun will come when the winter is over and you guys are not a blur in front of me! Mayb just a small speck

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Norm...are you suggesting i start in the level 3 and level 4 areas? I was planning on doing these workouts twice a week. Tues and Thurs. I hope thats enough

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Norm...are you suggesting i start in the level 3 and level 4 areas? I was planning on doing these workouts twice a week. Tues and Thurs. I hope thats enough

Dude.. Don't get all crazy on me.

I know you want to get strong and that is cool but I don't want to see you getting burned out.

If it isn't fun I would say screw it. or not.

Just don't forget that this is supposed to be fun with a byproduct of fitness.

You are mega strong for year one.

I have seen many guys take it way too serious only to zap all the fun out of riding.

If you are going to to a race series then go crazy with the training. Otherwise keep it fun. I promise you will get stronger with time.

See you in the am.. Bring your rake. Time for some TM.

j

ArmyOfNone

No worries J. I dont plan on getting carried away with this. Im just lookin for something to do while im inside.

Im gonna do all i can to keep it fun. Although not going outside to ride isnt so much fun :( I still giggle when i get in my gear just to get on my bike INSIDE!

Im not plannin on doing a whole race series. I dont think my work schedule will permit that to happen. But i would like to do some races. They sound fun.

ME

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Do what keeps you on the bike. Sounds like that progression you found works, so stick to it. To answer your question L4 is too aggressive to spend all your time in. Good gains in L3. But like you said it's boring so it may not work for you.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Dude.. Don't get all crazy on me.

I know you want to get strong and that is cool but I don't want to see you getting burned out.

If it isn't fun I would say screw it. or not.

Just don't forget that this is supposed to be fun with a byproduct of fitness.

You are mega strong for year one.

I have seen many guys take it way too serious only to zap all the fun out of riding.

If you are going to to a race series then go crazy with the training. Otherwise keep it fun. I promise you will get stronger with time.
Gotta second this.

I've been riding and racing for a while now, and I've seen some talented riders fry themselves and leave the sport by turning it into a job.

Any success I've had as a rider has been grounded in having fun with it. The incredible people I've met, the satisfaction of completing a hard ride, the intense experiences of competing in all sorts of races in all sorts of places, these are the things that keep me stoked.

I train on a plan, and plan my competition season, but the key element is feeding the stoke. If the activity doesn't do that, then I'm not likely to be doing it.

PatrickBrown

Gotta second this.

I've been riding and racing for a while now, and I've seen some talented riders fry themselves and leave the sport by turning it into a job.

Any success I've had as a rider has been grounded in having fun with it. The incredible people I've met, the satisfaction of completing a hard ride, the intense experiences of competing in all sorts of races in all sorts of places, these are the things that keep me stoked.

it happened to me, chris saw it happen, trying to train too hard burned me out and and showed me 100% negative results.... it drove me to sell my bikes and quit biking cold turkey.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

"the stoke" is what im looking for. "the stoke" is hopfully what ill be able to achieve with some hard work this winter come spring time.

I hope i dont sound like im gonna turn into a crazy man about this. I just was looking for something to use as a guide. I havent tried one of these sessions yet. Im gonna try to shoot for one once i get me some sleep.

If it sounds like im gettin all wrapped up in this stuff...someone smack me out of it. I BEG YOU! I love my bikes i dont wanna sell em!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
one more thing...

"the stoke" is what im looking for. "the stoke" is hopfully what ill be able to achieve with some hard work this winter come spring time.

I hope i dont sound like im gonna turn into a crazy man about this. I just was looking for something to use as a guide. I havent tried one of these sessions yet. Im gonna try to shoot for one once i get me some sleep.

If it sounds like im gettin all wrapped up in this stuff...someone smack me out of it. I BEG YOU! I love my bikes i dont wanna sell em!
I don't want to belabor this, but something that comes to mind as I read these posts: This doesn't have to be "train like a lunatic" or "just ride your bike". There's lots of ground in between. Just ride your bike and infuse a structured workout once a week, for example. Get a taste of it and then go from there.

This thread makes it sound like a big melodramatic project at times.

Top Bottom