Harriman Help?

Glancing Aft

Has anyone biked in Harriman recently and knows the status of the bridge construction on 106 between Seven Lakes Drive and Rt 17? Is the road open to thru traffic?
Thanks

Glancing Aft

Thanks Pixy, that saved me some troubles when I'm out there in a few weeks. It's a shame to hear it might not be reopening. Not only was is a great road to ride on but a good connection between Harriman and Sterlling Forest...

BiknBen

I know the spot and often climb up from Rt. 17. It is my preferred road to enter the park. I'm curious if it is possible to walk across the area. While it may not be open to traffic, I've ridden/walked my bike through closed sections of road on many occasions. ;)

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I know the spot and often climb up from Rt. 17. It is my preferred road to enter the park. I'm curious if it is possible to walk across the area. While it may not be open to traffic, I've ridden/walked my bike through closed sections of road on many occasions. ;)

absolutely. I still ride it regularly and carry my bike over the baricades. Over the winter, there was some ice in that area, but that should melt out. I enjoy less car traffic on it too.

BiknBen

absolutely. I still ride it regularly and carry my bike over the barricades. Over the winter, there was some ice in that area, but that should melt out. I enjoy less car traffic on it too.

Cool! Thanks for the clarification. So for us, the road is open. ;)

Glancing Aft

Oh Good! Glad to hear it, I can do the ride as planed then!
What happened on the road that it's closed? Is it a bridge? Landslide? Sinkhole?

BiknBen

Oh Good! Glad to hear it, I can do the ride as planed then!
What happened on the road that it's closed? Is it a bridge? Landslide? Sinkhole?

A bridge not far from the circle has been under construction since last summer. I don't know any details.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
A bridge not far from the circle has been under construction since last summer. I don't know any details.

I do not know exact details either, but from rumors and local news, it may be the pipe under the road/bridge has rotted. The bridge itself may be a historical structure and I could only guess that fixing it has been put on the long list of things that the park waits for funding or approval.

In the mean time, the road looks stable to walk on in that area.

p.s. for anyone that is night riding in Ringwood, there is a similar situation with a large hole that drops 15 ft down to the creek, on the Fire road right off of Duck Pond loop. It is marked with tape and a cone. Make a note of it.

BiknBen

Fred and I climbed up the road towards the circle on Saturday. The road is closed but completely fine for cyclists. There are Jersey barriers on either side of the bridge. We hopped over them and continued on. No noticeable work has begun on the bridge. Without the barriers, you wouldn't even notice a problem.

Thanks for the info, Pixy.

ArmyOfNone

Sweet, glad to hear, I hope to get out there this weekend.

That road is awesome. No traffic the entire way. Obviously its bc its closed but without the traffic you could just entirely engulf yourself with surroundings. It was pretty freakin cool.

Glancing Aft

That road is as amazing as ever to ride on! Thanks for the tips Pixy!
It's a shame about the bridge, it looks like it could be fixed rather easily with a new precast box culvert, but if it's a historic structure which looking at that stonework it could very easily be, the Park will have to come up with the big bucks...
In general I hope the park gets some additional funding soon, most of those roads are in bad need of a resurfacing! Still love riding up there though.

BiknBen

Yes, many of the roads are in need of repair. They chip sealed one two years ago so be careful what you wish for. The likelihood that you will see new beautiful asphalt is pretty slim.

There are still many good stretches of road that make it worthwhile. I remember when Seven Lakes Drive was smooth as glass. It hasn't been resurfaced in the years that I've been riding it.

They can keep that road closed as long as they like. I'll just hop the barrier. I think that is a fair trade for a nice climb with no traffic. ;)

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Seven Lakes is a park road, so chances are slim of a total re-pave. They usually just fill in all the holes. We'll just have to sing: Da-dunt, da-dunt. With my shoulder messed up, I've been riding that part one handed. :cry:

However, 106 is a county road and they re-do it every few years. Not sure if they will do it this year with the bridge out.

Glancing Aft, I think I saw you and Allysa climbing 106 on Sunday. Was that you?

Last edited:

BiknBen

Seven Lakes is a park road, so chances are slim of a total re-pave. They usually just fill in all the holes. We'll just have to sing: Da-dunt, da-dunt.

I'm not expecting the road to change any time soon. They can only patch for so long and they are beyond that already. The subsurface is breaking down and it will continue to deteriorate at a faster rate as time goes by.

Fred and I were on the worst part of it. We went up 106 to the circle and went right towards Tuxedo. The road is better in the other direction (not great but better).

For the record, I think Rt. 106 from the circle down to 17 sucks. Going up is fine cause you can go around the nasty spots at slower speed. Going down blows.

Great discussion. I first rode in there as a teenager. I was young, alone, and pretty much lost. Turned out to be a special epic ride of sorts. I wish I had the opp to ride up there more often. I'm lucky to do it twice per year. I got one in early this year so who knows. ;)

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Crap I have been thinking of going up solo in the next couple of weeks. Its that good. But Id like to share the fun. :)

RNG1

Keep us posted, I head up that way but never made it over to that area but would like to.

Top Bottom