How to build skinnies, ladders, etc?

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone know of a site with information on how to build structures such as skinnies, ladders, teeter-totters, etc.? I would like to build some of these in my back yard to help me work on my balance. My kids are pretty excited about it also. I have about a 1/4 acres of tree-ed area in the back of my property that I can set them up permanently. I won't have to move them to mow. Something like they built at 6M would be sweet. I'm going to try to get some free lumber from some construction sites.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Does anyone know of a site with information on how to build structures such as skinnies, ladders, teeter-totters, etc.? I would like to build some of these in my back yard to help me work on my balance. My kids are pretty excited about it also. I have about a 1/4 acres of tree-ed area in the back of my property that I can set them up permanently. I won't have to move them to mow. Something like they built at 6M would be sweet. I'm going to try to get some free lumber from some construction sites.

I am so jealous....

BiknBen

I would like to build some of these in my back yard to help me work on my balance.

Remember what they constructed at JorbaFest? That is a good place to start. Just lay out some lumber of varying widths and such. Use plywood pieces to connect them.

My yard is only 25x25 feet. :eek: I connected 2x4s with door hinges so my daughter could ride some skinnies of her own. I put blocks under some spots so it goes up and down. :D It's about 16' when spread out.

Constructing something would be cool but you might as well start small. You can also re-use wood when you move on to bigger stuff. Kids would be all over the smaller stuff too. :cool:

don

The Trail Building forum on mtbr.com should have some stuff - just need to search a bit: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Please let us know what you come up with. I'm working on a pump track/DJ/1/4 pipe zone in part of my yard. Think some movable skinnies for the driveway would be treats as well.

add:

While reading some threads on mtbr it looks like bikerag is another site to check out too: http://bikerag.com/index2.htm

Last edited:

one piece crank

So far I used various combinations of 2x4/2x8 boards for temporary driveway training, but I'm planning a backyard park to "bring my kids up right"! So far I have about twenty, 2-foot-diameter x 20-inch-long ash stumps to build an elevated skinny course, and I have a few 4x4 post set in the ground. For inspiration I've also collected web photos of stunts I really like. Be careful what you copy - I've seen photos of many well constructed, and many not-so-well constructed stunts!

I've got ~4 acres to play with, but no tree so I'll have to build everything. I will probably have some sort of a circuit, possibly with a pump track section. No idea how much area it will cover as I plan to loop it back on itself...

Did that "6M" reference in the original post mean there are stunts at 6 Mile Reservoir? Are they permanent? Never been there...

Tom P.

rlb

My yard is only 25x25 feet. :eek: I connected 2x4s with door hinges so my daughter could ride some skinnies of her own. I put blocks under some spots so it goes up and down. :D It's about 16' when spread out.

That is an awesome idea

one piece crank

That reminds me - I have five 4-foot sections of 2x4, with an 8-inch section as a foot at each end. I built these a 'balance beams' for a school activity day. Now they get used for skinny practice in the driveway. It may seem difficult, but it only takes a few trys for the kids to get the hang of it, and now they can already ride four of them strung together!

Tom P.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Having the right tools and fasteners is a big help. I use an impact driver and timber locks whenever possible.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
When in doubt seek the Canadians out. They more or less invented this shtuff ;)

Gallery:

http://photos.nsmb.com/browseimages.php?c=11

Forums:

http://bb.nsmb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Keep the links coming everyone... it would be great to have a nice reference list here!

great links! some cool features in there....i love it that they use natural wood (not finished wood, 2 x 4's and such). It makes the final product much better looking, although I would think easier to not build it properly.

fattireb

I've got a lot of experience building skinnies etc. My advice for your backyard would be to build with natural logs if you can. 1. it just looks cooler and 2. it will give you a better feel for when you get into the woods and come across a skinny which will most likely be made of natural materials. Believe it or not there's a big difference in riding a shaved tree verse dimensional lumber.

Also when you build try to think out of the box a bit and build to a level you want to reach or you will get bored. My co-builders normally look at me like I have 3 heads when I propose my ideas but but after time they see the light ;)

Here is the skinny in my backyard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQb0yfXH4k

A vid of our playground in the snow (those of you from the Sparta area might even recognize the band ...)
http://www.vimeo.com/3123346

Here are a few of my masterpieces scattered throughout the woods near my house :cool:

IMG_5339.JPG

Building process (pre-shave)
IMG_5298.JPG

130' of goodness
IMG_2826.jpg

Gif1.gif

anilog1.gif

anilog2.gif

If you need more info on the flattening and building process post up and I'll give you some more advice. Enjoy!
FTB

Ian F

Those look very nicely done. I have to admit, one of the nice things about them is they don't "look" like much of anything... an average person just walking through the woods might not even notice them... whereas something made from dimensional lumber would stand out...

Start small... and then as you desire more of a challenge, elevate them...

Personally, I'd still rather have a pump-track... ;)

Top Bottom