Dietary Intake

Shaggz

A strong 7
I am trying to stay within a 50/25/25 (carbs/protein/fat) ratio right now, and am pretty spot on on the carbs, but my protein intake seems to be a bit low. The fats are all relatively "good", flax seed oil, almonds, olive oil, etc., and i am trying to balance the fat/protein by eating some peanut butter and beans during the day. Any thoughts on boosting the protein without adding much more to the fat? I know that eggs are a good source, but I just do not like them, and will not eat them.

Maurice

Do you like fish? Tuna is a good source of protein, easy to eat.

Beans are also a great source of carbs (among other things... let's be grown ups).

My $.2, not much of a dietary expert myself.

Where's my pizza?

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
protein powder, chicken, tuna, lean pork, other fish

Look to get more protein in your carb sources, like cereal and breads. Whole grains have more protein than refined.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i can definitely work tuna into the equation. I'm trying to do a double duty with the foods that i eat, both weight loss and fuel for base training. I'm taking in about 1800 calories per day, which is probably too low. I am also falling short on the usrda mineral/nutrient intake, and probably have to work a multi vitamin in there too.

Shaggz

A strong 7
what ype of protein powder are you using - whey, soy? sorting through this stuff is so damn confusing and time consuming, and this stuff can get so expensive to just experiment.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i can definitely work tuna into the equation. I'm trying to do a double duty with the foods that i eat, both weight loss and fuel for base training. I'm taking in about 1800 calories per day, which is probably too low. I am also falling short on the usrda mineral/nutrient intake, and probably have to work a multi vitamin in there too.

Thoughts...

1. How many calories are you burning a day?
2. If you're not meeting the RDA guidelines you need to focus more on nutrient dense foods (see Monique Ryan book)
3. Ignore the vitamin D stuff on fitday
4. Multivitamin can't hurt. Centrum one-a-day is a pretty common one.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what ype of protein powder are you using - whey, soy? sorting through this stuff is so damn confusing and time consuming, and this stuff can get so expensive to just experiment.

I've tried them both and don't use either anymore, they don't taste good enough. Plus I never have problems hitting my protein intake anymore. We eat a lot of chicken and fish so that's a big chunk of it.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thoughts...

1. How many calories are you burning a day?
2. If you're not meeting the RDA guidelines you need to focus more on nutrient dense foods (see Monique Ryan book)
3. Ignore the vitamin D stuff on fitday
4. Multivitamin can't hurt. Centrum one-a-day is a pretty common one.

1: somewhere btween 3500 and 4000
2: i am going to order the monique ryan book, my produce intake has gone up trmendously, blueberries, bananas, apples, oranges, escarole, beans, etc, and am still uncertain as to why the nutrient data is low.
3: ignored
4: i think my wife is using them.

i ran some weekly reports, and the ratios are closer to 50/33/17

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1. I would think the 3500-4000 is too high of an estimate for you right now. You're the same (or less) in weight than me, and riding less than me right now. I'm in the 3500-4000 calorie range right now so I would guess you're more in the 3000-3500 range.
2. What are you low in specifically? This may also be due to empty calorie foods.
3. good
4. use them too

Protein Powder

My favorite is GNC Pro Performance 100% Instantized Whey Powder. I use chocolate and vanilla. The banana is not bad but is has a definite artificial taste. The strawberry is awful.

"Instantized" means it mixes easily with water, as easy at Tang or powdered iced tea mix does. It is great to take with you to work for a protein portion since you can stir it right into a glass of water without the usual protein-powder-clump experienced with other brands.

I mix a smoothie either for breakfast or recovery using 1 scoop vanilla whey, one banana, a cup of frozen strawberries or mixed berries, 1/2 cup lowfat yogurt and water to thin it out. After it is blended I add 1tsp flax seed meal to it for fiber and omega 3's. Tons of protein, fiber, carbs and antioxidants, low in fat and calories.

Shaggz

A strong 7
the calorie burned numers are based on fitday - i am starting to question the accuracy of either my input or their constants and calcs, or a combination thereof. I do know that other than my coffee in the morning, there are no real empty calories in that diet. We try to stay as non-processed, whole grain as possible.

OK the numbers i am hitting, are grandslams, in particular, the iron, folate, b-6, and vitami k - i'll chalk that up to the leafy greens, bananas and blueberries.

Percentages of RDA I am hitting
A - 63
E - 60
C - 66
Zinc - 60
Selenium - 86
Calcium - 62
Magnesium - 70

I think a glass of OJ Milk will take care of most of this, and the multi will polish it off.

Shaggz

A strong 7
My favorite is GNC Pro Performance 100% Instantized Whey Powder. I use chocolate and vanilla. The banana is not bad but is has a definite artificial taste. The strawberry is awful.

"Instantized" means it mixes easily with water, as easy at Tang or powdered iced tea mix does. It is great to take with you to work for a protein portion since you can stir it right into a glass of water without the usual protein-powder-clump experienced with other brands.

I mix a smoothie either for breakfast or recovery using 1 scoop vanilla whey, one banana, a cup of frozen strawberries or mixed berries, 1/2 cup lowfat yogurt and water to thin it out. After it is blended I add 1tsp flax seed meal to it for fiber and omega 3's. Tons of protein, fiber, carbs and antioxidants, low in fat and calories.

Is that woman-specific? the reason i ask, is that my wife is looking for a protein powder to do exactly what you are talking about. this sounds like a post-trainer powerhouse.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The fitday numbers have worked extremely well for me. I think over a 4 month period the calorie difference predicted I would lose like 6.8 pounds and I lost 7.4 or something. You just need to play with it, maybe drop down your default to less active? Work it out.

From your numbers I would say 5 baby carrots, 1 citris fruit, a single brazil nut, and a little more whole grain (quinoa is the bees knees!) would take care of a lot of that. Maybe a whole grain cereal with almond/rice/soy milk in the morning (we don't do dairy any longer and yes we're hippies if that makes anyone feel any better). Also double the leafy greens intake maybe. Zinc is the one that often comes up short for me but it usually averages out.

Black coffee?

Is that woman-specific? the reason i ask, is that my wife is looking for a protein powder to do exactly what you are talking about. this sounds like a post-trainer powerhouse.

No, it is not women-specific at all. Protein is protein; how much you need is based on your body weight. Most of that women-specific supplement bunk is just...bunk. Women need more calcium, folate and iron in their diets than men, but that is about it.

A standard serving according to the package is "1 scoop." You can look at the nutirional profile of one scoop and adjust the quantity you use accordingly. If you need more protein in your post-workout recovery meals or in general, use more. If your wife feels like the protein content is too high, start with half a scoop and experiment.

I usually use one whole scoop for recovery or breakfast. If I am just having the mix with water as part of a mid-day snack, I'll use half a scoop in an iced coffee and drink it with a granola bar or one of my Fruity Fiber Muffins (secret recipe - begging might help you).

BONUS: The vanilla powder is fantastic in pancakes. If I am planning a long run or ride I like to fuel up well, and that means pancakes for me. I remove about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pancake mix and replace it with equal amounts of the vanilla whey for protein-powered pancakes. That way I get protein and do not have to eat heavy eggs with my fluffy blueberry pancakes.

FYI, the best way for a man or woman to get calcium in their diet is not really dairy foods - leafy green veggies and brocolli are best. If you take a calcium supplement, make sure it contains vitamin D (necessary for the body to absorb calcium) and magnesium.

Shaggz

A strong 7
The fitday numbers have worked extremely well for me. I think over a 4 month period the calorie difference predicted I would lose like 6.8 pounds and I lost 7.4 or something. You just need to play with it, maybe drop down your default to less active? Work it out.

From your numbers I would say 5 baby carrots, 1 citris fruit, a single brazil nut, and a little more whole grain (quinoa is the bees knees!) would take care of a lot of that. Maybe a whole grain cereal with almond/rice/soy milk in the morning (we don't do dairy any longer and yes we're hippies if that makes anyone feel any better). Also double the leafy greens intake maybe. Zinc is the one that often comes up short for me but it usually averages out.

Black coffee?

i heard great things about the quinoa about being amino acid powerhouses. i just picked up the kashi go lean cereal, which is getting rotated in with oatmeal and cheerios with skim (still workign on keeping soy in there, too, but that would be the 4 different milks we would have to stock. i have leafy greens coming outta my ears - i might be entering my data wrong (cooked vs uncooked volume). i'm a hippy, too, hence my pushing for the vw van.

coffe - skim milk and sugar in the raw.

Shaggz

A strong 7
No, it is not women-specific at all. Protein is protein; how much you need is based on your body weight. Most of that women-specific supplement bunk is just...bunk. Women need more calcium, folate and iron in their diets than men, but that is about it.

A standard serving according to the package is "1 scoop." You can look at the nutirional profile of one scoop and adjust the quantity you use accordingly. If you need more protein in your post-workout recovery meals or in general, use more. If your wife feels like the protein content is too high, start with half a scoop and experiment.

I usually use one whole scoop for recovery or breakfast. If I am just having the mix with water as part of a mid-day snack, I'll use half a scoop in an iced coffee and drink it with a granola bar or one of my Fruity Fiber Muffins (secret recipe - begging might help you).

BONUS: The vanilla powder is fantastic in pancakes. If I am planning a long run or ride I like to fuel up well, and that means pancakes for me. I remove about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pancake mix and replace it with equal amounts of the vanilla whey for protein-powered pancakes. That way I get protein and do not have to eat heavy eggs with my fluffy blueberry pancakes.

FYI, the best way for a man or woman to get calcium in their diet is not really dairy foods - leafy green veggies and brocolli are best. If you take a calcium supplement, make sure it contains vitamin D (necessary for the body to absorb calcium) and magnesium.

thanks for the info, i will forward this on to meg. i like the pancake idea, and will have to work the ratios out since we are using white and buckwheat flour. we switched from straight flax seed to flax seed oil out convenience.

Shaggz

A strong 7

norm - what is your caloric intake?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
quinoa is great, great stuff. We have a recipe we make with edamame, roasted red peppers, lemon juice & zest, and a little salt & olive oil. Good stuff.

We buy the boxes of almond/soy/rice milk from various places in bulk. So right now we have a case of soymilk, a few almond milks, maybe 6 rice milks. Makes it easier when you run out.

thanks for the info, i will forward this on to meg. i like the pancake idea, and will have to work the ratios out since we are using white and buckwheat flour. we switched from straight flax seed to flax seed oil out convenience.

Ha ha, I eat buckwheat pancakes too, almost exclusively. I cannot remember the name of the brand we bought last time, but the whey works well with it. It is about at 60/40 buckwheat/white flour blend.

good luck

Top Bottom