need opinions tech help 2004 specialized big hit comp

T

TRISKELION

just got a 2004 specialized big hit comp in a trade

i think its too big for me

my questions

1. is the fork replaceable to a smaller fork?

2. can i change the rear spring/shock

3. is there anything i can do to lower where the frame stays?

4. would i rather go into the process of lowering the frame?

5. or is it more cost effective to sell the whole setup or can i just get a smaller frame?

6. i checked geometry on the s m l frames and the difference is only and inch or so

7. what are my options, if any?

thanks in advance guys.
-conrad

betta285

just got a 2004 specialized big hit comp in a trade

i think its too big for me

my questions

1. is the fork replaceable to a smaller fork?

5. or is it more cost effective to sell the whole setup or can i just get a smaller frame?

6. i checked geometry on the s m l frames and the difference is only and inch or so

thanks in advance guys.
-conrad

1&2 suspension is replaceable, but you have to keep in mind that any change in travel is going to effect the geometry of the bike, and how it rides.

3. not sure what you're getting at. I believe the rear linkage is adjustable, which would change how the frame sits.

4,5,6 Frame fit is extremely important. the small inch difference between sizes result in substantial changes in things like bike feel, ride-ability, and just plain comfort. How tall are you, and what size is the bike? Correct frame sizing is important.

7. Well, what type of riding do you plan to do? With 7 inches in the rear and 6 up front, the bighit is a nice all mountain-freeride rig. Climbing isn't going to be too fun, but descents and rough terrain is where this bike will be at home. If you don't plan on using it for intense riding, I suggest getting something a bit tamer.

Jim

T

TRISKELION

i imagine the replacements to be costly. would selling it be a better alternative? and getting something else? what do you think something like this would fetch? id love to keep the bike if i can get it 2 inches lower. should i just sell instead?

thanks for the opinion guys.
--cc

betta285

i imagine the replacements to be costly. would selling it be a better alternative? and getting something else? what do you think something like this would fetch? id love to keep the bike if i can get it 2 inches lower. should i just sell instead?

thanks for the opinion guys.
--cc

A replacement bike would surely be the best bet. In great shape, the Bighit might fetch somewhere around $700?, but that's extremely ballpark. That would get you a decent hardtail or a decent full sus. for a few more bucks. What type of riding do you do/plan on doing?

Jim

BiknBen

thanks in advance guys.
-conrad

Seriously?

This Isn't a Honda civic. You can't replace suspension and lower the thing.

Sell it and go to a bike shop. :rolleyes:

T

TRISKELION

ok ok

thats why im asking for opinions

ill take pics and put it on the f/s/t forum tomorrow

thanks again

--cc

larkin42

Seriously?

This Isn't a Honda civic. You can't replace suspension and lower the thing.

Sell it and go to a bike shop. :rolleyes:

Wow. I thought this was a place to ask questions and get an educated response. There is no need to jump down someone's throat simply for asking the question.

RNG1

I didn't hear any throat jumping, I think it is just pretty much to the point and is the best advice without getting into all the theoreticals of changing this that and the other thing.
It is in his best interest, he needs a bike that will both suit his needs and his size while this bike seems to do neither regardless of it being "a good deal".
My advice is figure out what kind of riding you plan to do, if that is unclear then figure out where you will be riding and that will help define that, then go to a good shop where someone with experience can help you get the right bike based on your needs.

BiknBen

Wow. I thought this was a place to ask questions and get an educated response...

No, this is the internet. A place where someone will read something you write and interpret it any way they want to. Then they will accuse you of being a jerk. Welcome to the funhouse.

He asked...I answered...He thanked. You got offended. :hmmm:

:hitsfan:

larkin42

No, this is the internet. A place where someone will read something you write and interpret it any way they want to. Then they will accuse you of being a jerk. Welcome to the funhouse.

He asked...I answered...He thanked. You got offended. :hmmm:

:hitsfan:

"ok ok"...that sounds like he appreciated it? I am not offended one bit, I just see this happen frequently to those that are new to the site. I guess thats just my "interpretation"

T

TRISKELION

dont want to stir things up like this guys

just tried to explain the situation and get some input

ill try to post the bike on the f/s/t

hint of hostility back there as to the civic analogy but its all good

just expected a little help up front as asked for

lets just drop the subject as i see where this may lead to

once again thanks for the input.

kudos

--cc

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
He was being sarcastic, not hostile.

Lighten up Francis*.

* or whatever your name is if you're not sufficiently lightened up.

Top Bottom