Brakes: Survey Says?

Mare

I have Avid Juicy 7s now. The front works fine, but the rear has been problematic since day 1. It's been bled a thousand times (and each time is a pain), and rebuilt too. It's about 4 years old.

Do I just replace that bum one?
Do I splurge and buy:
Hope Tech X2s
Avid Juicy Ultimates *
Hayes HFX9s *
Hayes HFX9 Carbons *
XT or XTR
or something else?

* I specifically mention these because I found really good deals on them. I thought I would want to stay away from Avids this time around, but the price is good on the Ultimates.

Opinions on brakes please!! :)

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

I love hope brakes when they work. They usually do work most of the time. It's the times they dont work that you get headaches. Their headquarters is in the uk and it takes forever for simple parts. I can say that they work more better then the avid, magura, formula and shimano brakes I have used.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
avid exlir cr or r (if you don't wont the pad adjustment) are pretty hard to beat for the price, I got the CR's for $150 a wheel and I think the R's you can get for around $100. I rode Juicy 7's for 4 years and loved them, the Elixirs are just better.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
avid exlir cr or r (if you don't wont the pad adjustment) are pretty hard to beat for the price, I got the CR's for $150 a wheel and I think the R's you can get for around $100. I rode Juicy 7's for 4 years and loved them, the Elixirs are just better.

I agree! My CR's are just incredible. My Juciy's were great, but these just keep getting better and better :)

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Get the Hope X2s.

They are light and gorgeously blingful. :drooling:
I've had Hope Minis on my bike for almost seven years, and at least in my case, were near maintenance-free.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have Hopes on my Sultan and they kick ass...All the guys I ride with swear by them.
The fact that I have huge rotors helps.. but they would be sick with normal sized rotors too Im sure.
I just ordered a set of hopes for my niner too. I got a tech m4 in the front and an x2 in the rear.

liong71er

Get the Hope X2s.

They are light and gorgeously blingful. :drooling:
I've had Hope Minis on my bike for almost seven years, and at least in my case, were near maintenance-free.

i agree with velocityboy,..i allready got hope X2s(for my next rig)

BMXxXJ

i do love my ultimates :) when i eventually wear these out i'll prolly get elixir XX when they come out

VanDbtRiver

personally, i dont put too much cash into brakes, but i would like to hook up some xt's this season. had juicy 7's, and never had complaints, bb7's now and lets say i am less prone to hitting those levers cuz i shouldnt expect much... faster cuz of it.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have Hayes and every mechanic I've ever met complains about them. I used to have a hard time with them when I used to take my front tire off all the time, but since the new roof rack (don't have to remove the front tire) I have had no problems at all. I think any brake is an issue if you have to take your front tire off a lot, which I don't believe you do, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I flip my bike over often....a big no no. Hang it from the ceiling....another no no. In two yrs of constant riding I have never had to bleed them. I love them. I don't why they get such a bad rap.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I have Avid Juicy 7s now.

I've had the BB7's, Juicy 7's, Ultimates, and now the Elixir "Ultimates". I personally like a "softer" feeling brake, which is common among every Avid model. I find the Elixir's have much more stopping power than any of the Juicy's but have a similar feel. The problem you're having with the Juicy 7's is why they came up with the Elixir, they tend to hold a bleed much better.

Of course, if I paid for my own parts, I'd be on Hopes. Shhhhhh;)

-Jim.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I have disliked all the Avids I've ridden/demo'd, and will never make the mistake of going back to Hayes. Been there, done that, not again.

My Shimanos have excellent modulation and incredible stopping power. Been riding Saints on my freeride bike since 2005 and those brakes are the best thing since sliced bread- with 8" rotors, tons of power but plenty of modulation.

I'm now running XTR's on my XC bike, and considering that you can get a full set pre-bled for just over $200 on Chainlove/Backcountry.com outlet, there is not another brake on the market that comes close to that performance/weight/price equation...

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
+1 for Hope. I have the Mono Mini's. The X2 is replacing them. Haven't riding the tech's yet but I am sure they will be dope!

Mare

Thanks, everyone, for all of your input. I still am not quite sure what I will get, but this all helps with the decision makaing process!

MarcLewis

Hopes !!!

I'm a little biased towards Hope, but after using everything they make for the last 15 years, riding and racing on hope brakes for the last 9-10 years, they are simply the best !
My Racer X is 6 years old with Mini's on it and my HCR is 5 years old with Mono Mini's and both are still going strong.
Hope do have a distributer in the US, with a full line of everything you could possibly need.
Time to go riding !!!
Buy the Hopes, and you won't look back.

Top Bottom