New to the Board, Looking for a Decent Apartment in Central NJ

M

mjs3350

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Moved to Piscataway a year ago, but I'm thinking about moving to somewhere nearby (I work in Piscataway). Here it's mostly just businesses near by, I'd rather live in a place with "stuff" nearby but somewhere I can also ride my road bike on decent roads. If I ride from my place now, River Road is always part of the ride and it gets pretty old. I was thinking about Hillsborough, Bridgewater, Bedminster, really anywhere that's got stuff going on, young people around, and some nice riding (mtb and road) nearby. Anyone have a decent apartment recommendation? Thanks ahead of time, and I look forward to meeting some fellow riders here!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hillsborough, Bridgewater, Bedminster

Not sure about "stuff" but if you're thinking late night stuff, those towns are pretty boring. New Brunswick is about the only place that will work if you're looking for a scene of any sort.

THATmanMANNY

on the border of boro and montgomery there are some nice cribs

Norm is right about night life but there is one night that makes boro or more really Manville valid... Thanksgiving Eve @ Rythms :rofl:

Just move near the canal and you're road options are endless. #5 Franklin Township baby! :cool:

Last edited:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Check out New Brunswick. My Girlfriend works in Piscataway at American Standard. It's pretty close to New Brunswick, where there is ALOT of "stuff" going on. Occasionally she and her co-workers head to NB after work for drinks because of how conveniently close it is..

For riding, Six Mile Run is close by.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
...but somewhere I can also ride my road bike on decent roads. If I ride from my place now, River Road is always part of the ride and it gets pretty old.

I live in Piscataway and love the variety of road riding in the area. I can ride through Bound Brook and along the canal for a long flat day, or head over to Washington Valley Road and ride out to hit the sweet roads around Round Valley, or I can do hill work through the Watchung ridges and get in over 5,000 feet of climbing in under 40 miles, or I can do a countless number of centuries, or hit the tow path on the CX bike. If your coming down River Road to start your rides, you're less than 15 minutes away from Canal Road and some of the best road riding in the state:hmmm:

-Jim.

M

mjs3350

Check out New Brunswick. My Girlfriend works in Piscataway at American Standard. It's pretty close to New Brunswick, where there is ALOT of "stuff" going on. Occasionally she and her co-workers head to NB after work for drinks because of how conveniently close it is..

For riding, Six Mile Run is close by.

I work there too, who's your girlfriend? I like New Brunswick, but don't really want to live there. It's definitely nice to have nearby though.

Thanks for the recommendation on 6 mile...I didn't think there was anywhere decent to mtb so close, and it turns out I've been riding my road bike right past there all last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mjs3350

I live in Piscataway and love the variety of road riding in the area. I can ride through Bound Brook and along the canal for a long flat day, or head over to Washington Valley Road and ride out to hit the sweet roads around Round Valley, or I can do hill work through the Watchung ridges and get in over 5,000 feet of climbing in under 40 miles, or I can do a countless number of centuries, or hit the tow path on the CX bike. If your coming down River Road to start your rides, you're less than 15 minutes away from Canal Road and some of the best road riding in the state:hmmm:

-Jim.

Thanks for the suggestions. My main ride last summer was river road, through Bound Brook, down Canal RD. to the Hillsborough area over to New Brunswick, and back down River Road. It's a nice ride but started getting repetitive. I'll check out the other areas you mentioned.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I work there too, who's your girlfriend? I like New Brunswick, but don't really want to live there. It's definitely nice to have nearby though.

Hah! No way....Her name is Tracy. I believe her title is senior graphic designer. We live in Brick. It's one hell of a freakin commute for her! I don't know how she does it

Last edited:
M

mjs3350

Ha yea I know Tracy, I'm a packaging engineer so I talk to the graphics team quite a bit. That commute is long, but it must be nice to be close to the shore during summer time!

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha yea I know Tracy, I'm a packaging engineer so I talk to the graphics team quite a bit. That commute is long, but it must be nice to be close to the shore during summer time!

Small world dude. You'll have to give her a hard time for me :D

Yeah living by the beach is key. As well as cycling, I sea kayak and surf alot, so I'm pretty down with it...even though I commute to the Trenton area during the week.

Good luck with your apt search.

Last edited:
M

mjs3350

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I look forward to some good times on here and on the trail.

Awdrifter13

welcome aboard... as for apts look in somerville... the lady and i are on main and its within 15 minutes of sourland, chimney rock, 6-mile, and road rides are endless from here

M

mjs3350

welcome aboard... as for apts look in somerville... the lady and i are on main and its within 15 minutes of sourland, chimney rock, 6-mile, and road rides are endless from here

Thanks for the welcome. Hows the traffic on weekday commutes? I know the somerville circle area gets kinda crazy sometimes. Looks like I'll be at my current place for at least another 6 months...It's a decent place, but the only thing right near me are businesses which I'd like to get away from. I'm hoping to find a place outside New Brunswick with some other young people if possible. I feel like I'm the only single person living in my apartment now haha.

Awdrifter13

Thanks for the welcome. Hows the traffic on weekday commutes? I know the somerville circle area gets kinda crazy sometimes. Looks like I'll be at my current place for at least another 6 months...It's a decent place, but the only thing right near me are businesses which I'd like to get away from. I'm hoping to find a place outside New Brunswick with some other young people if possible. I feel like I'm the only single person living in my apartment now haha.

traffic for you would be easy because you wouldnt even need to hit the circle... you would take either 22 or 28 to 287 and be at work in about 10 minutes... could even ride if you wanted to!

M

mjs3350

Cool thanks, I'll definitely look into Somerville to see if I can find a decent place.

Top Bottom