old timer newb here, lets get started!!

T

TRISKELION

newb to mtb here guys be gentle

awesome site and awesome guys

name is conrad 32 from wanaque nj

done with paintball, 1/8 scale truggy rc

photography nut now wanting to take advantage of where i live and

all the trails i heard were near me just in my backyard!

so guys help me

i need a bike

about 500-600 tops new or used

5'7" 240lbs yep overweight

looking for nice and easy trails and a nice bike and nice folks to ride with in the area

looks like a lot hehhehehe

i hope im in the right place

thanks in advance

--conrad

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome Aboard,
check some of the local shops on the site they might either have a close or something.
or keep an eye on the for sale section after you get a ride check the rides section there is all different rides going on.
see you on the trails..
BTW 32 is not old just ask some of the older guys on the site :)

BiknBen

name is conrad 32 from wanaque nj

Welcome. I'm a '90 Lakeland alumni. I live bear Trenton Now but still have family in Haskell. You have plenty of riding options near you. Look in the trail directory portion of this site for stuff in Ringwood.

Go sheck out Pedal Sports in Oakland. They are one of the web site's sponsors. Say hi to Rob (the owner) for me.

DR.K

welcome

the D& R canal path is good way to get started ..flat with no cars good to build up cardio ..at 32 your just hitting the fun part

Last edited:
F

frankinnj

Welcome Conrad. I am 46 and this is the greatest sport around. Take the advice of the other posters on bikes, If you don't have to get a new bike you can find some great deals on used ones.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i learned something new today.:hmmm:

180px-The_armoured_triskelion_on_the_flag_of_the_Isle_of_Man.svg.png

welcome!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm 33 and thought I was a youngin.

For $500 you can score an entry level hardtail, most brands offering a similar bike for the money so get one at a local, cool bike shop so you can easily go back for upgrades, maintenance, advice etc. Unfortunately most of the trails around Wanaque are pretty rocky so a dual-suspension bike makes riding much easier, but you won't find anything at that price. Shops maybe have a closeout for around a grand -- worth every penny in my book for northern NJ. Maybe check out a 29er hardtail which will be harder initially to get going but will help with the tougher terrain. Mo matter what, just get something and post up a ringwood ride and people will come and show you a great loop!

T

TRISKELION

all these postas are for me

wow

awesome welcome committee

lrhs grad 93

yes easy trails i think are best at this time

would really love to jump on a great deal on a used bike for now until i get

my feet wet and crave for more like all of you mtb junkies hehehehe

id love to meet all of you guys soon

any leads on a nice used bike?? my bro in law wants one now too

awesome just awesome guys!!!!

T

TRISKELION

Welcome Aboard,
check some of the local shops on the site they might either have a close or something.
or keep an eye on the for sale section after you get a ride check the rides section there is all different rides going on.
see you on the trails..
BTW 32 is not old just ask some of the older guys on the site :)

ive called a bunch of shops and met most of them today.hehehe

Welcome. I'm a '90 Lakeland alumni. I live bear Trenton Now but still have family in Haskell. You have plenty of riding options near you. Look in the trail directory portion of this site for stuff in Ringwood.

Go sheck out Pedal Sports in Oakland. They are one of the web site's sponsors. Say hi to Rob (the owner) for me.

met rob on friday, nice store great guy

lrhs alum 93

Old timer at 32!

rephrase, late bloomer. hehehehe

I remember when I was 32 I was the same age as you.

Oh, and welcome aboard kid. :cool:

kid, i havn't been called that since....i was a kid..hehehhee

the D& R canal path is good way to get started ..flat with no cars good to build up cardio ..at 32 your just hitting the fun part

more info on D/R pls just pm me

Welcome Conrad. I am 46 and this is the greatest sport around. Take the advice of the other posters on bikes, If you don't have to get a new bike you can find some great deals on used ones.

looking forward to the sport 100%

looking for a used bike.

Welcome to ya! Enjoy the funhouse.

thanks boss.

i learned something new today.:hmmm:

180px-The_armoured_triskelion_on_the_flag_of_the_Isle_of_Man.svg.png

welcome!

heres more info
wikkipedia : Tau Gamma Phi
its my philippine fraternity

I'm 33 and thought I was a youngin.

For $500 you can score an entry level hardtail, most brands offering a similar bike for the money so get one at a local, cool bike shop so you can easily go back for upgrades, maintenance, advice etc. Unfortunately most of the trails around Wanaque are pretty rocky so a dual-suspension bike makes riding much easier, but you won't find anything at that price. Shops maybe have a closeout for around a grand -- worth every penny in my book for northern NJ. Maybe check out a 29er hardtail which will be harder initially to get going but will help with the tougher terrain. Mo matter what, just get something and post up a ringwood ride and people will come and show you a great loop!

amen my brother amen.

----

thanks everyone!
--conrad

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome. Paragraphs are good bro. And caps to start a sentence. Long night, I'm just saying is all.

RNG1

Welcome, I will reserve making a comment on the "old" 32 yr age thing ( I guess I just kind of didn't actually). Anyway get into it, get healthy and most of all have fun. Can't help with any of the ride location advice as I am in alaska but there is lots of info and good people here who can.

sj_john

Enjoy the ride

Get a bike that fits.
Build up your skills and it is no shame to push the bike.
Just keep on riding.

About 32 being old, it is all in your mind. My son is 31.

Welcome to the fun that you can enjoy the rest of your life.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Welcome!

Keep in touch with Rob at Pedal Sports and watch the rides section here. We had Sunday am rides for all levels going in Ringwood and other local parks until the weather dumped on us and the trails went to crap.

With better weather coming, we should be starting them up again soon.

T

TRISKELION

thanks for the welcome guys!!!

ok now i just traded 2 brand new high end nitro rc cars for a

2004 specialized big hit comp

it was a great deal for both of us so we both jumped on it

he valued his bike at 1000++

now i think the frame/bike is too big for me

or maybe the fork or rear susp is too big

any suggestions? fair market value?

change parts? or sell or trade and buy one that fits?

help again

newb here hehehehe

thanks
-conrad

RNG1

That's the tricky thing about a great deal if it doesn't fit, I'll let everyone else who are more up on actual parts to comment but maybe you can strip it and get a frame that fits or try selling that to get something that does. Look at the bright side at least you got rid of the cars as you can't ride them either.

Top Bottom