Kingdom Trails questions?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Every year a group of long time friends get together for an annual Mt. bike Trek called "The Manly Man Mountain Mash-Up",( bikes, alchohol, & long weekend= mash-up). Our trips have included upstate NY and W. Virginia so my Questions are where should I look to house 10 married middle aged yahoos (cabins), and more importantly is middle of May to early to be going?

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
We've always stayed in cheap motels. For me and my group, just a place to shower, beer up, share trail stories and crash is good enough.

Never gone up in May (only June, July and this year, August) but it should be good. Always heard tales of plagues of black flies, but honestly, have never seen even one.

http://www.kingdomtrails.org/

See the "Accomodations" segment.

Last edited:

mwlikesbikes

Do you like tents?

I've camped in the burke mt. campground the past 3 years. The only down side of that is that it's on the top of the mt. so at the end of a long days riding you've still got a 3-4 mile climb up a road that's between 5% to 10% grade. The beer tastes SOOOOO much better after the climb though!!!!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
isnt' May to early for Kingdom Trails?....Will the snow have melted and the ground dried??? it is awesome out there, but check first if all trails would be open. It is a hike to go out there and would suck if you can't ride all of it.
I stayed at a big house which was great but i cant find the damn link :eek:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
isnt' May to early for Kingdom Trails?....Will the snow have melted and the ground dried??? it is awesome out there, but check first if all trails would be open. It is a hike to go out there and would suck if you can't ride all of it.
I stayed at a big house which was great but i cant find the damn link :eek:

This is the very reason for my asking was wondering if any have gone in the middle of may usally the weekend after Mothers Day. We have gone to west virginia at the end of April and had some very cold days with sleet before. Did I mention Middle Aged married men camping would be unbearable for this bunch but cabins have worked well at campgrounds though.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I THINK they open the trails to bikes on May 1, pending of course, the trail conditions.

When I called to make motel reservations last week, out of curiousity, I inquired re: current trail conditions and I was told there's 24-30" of snow on the trails. :eek:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I THINK they open the trails to bikes on May 1, pending of course, the trail conditions.

When I called to make motel reservations last week, out of curiousity, I inquired re: current trail conditions and I was told there's 24-30" of snow on the trails. :eek:

Oh shit it better warm up now to be ready for May!

trener1

I have never been there in May but based on how much snow is up there now, Early May might not work.
There is a large house/cabin about a 1/2 mile from the town that would work perfectly, I don't know the name of it, but if you call the Kingdom trails office they might be able to help you with that tell them it's the big white place just outside of town.
They could probably also tell you of May would be too early or not.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Folks, I would be wary of May in KT. April is always mud season in VT and it can easily extend into early May, especially with a good snow year (they are above average even with the rain).

If you can be flexible and play the conditions by ear, then sure go in May, but be prepared to cancel of KTA closes the trails due to wet and muddy conditions. (The KTA will close the trails if the conditions are trail damaging wet).

Great trails though. Some of the best flow you'll ever ride. Jul-Aug-Sep is a great time to ride in VT.

trener1

Don't rule out October either, I have been up there the past two Columbus day weekends and have had great riding and great trail conditions both years.

euphoria

Don't rule out October either, I have been up there the past two Columbus day weekends and have had great riding and great trail conditions both years.

Wife and I spent our first anniversary there the first weekend of Oct 08. Awesome time

normal_100_9329.jpg

mtnbiker5

Kingdom

That place looks fantastic. I've heard some insane things about the trail system. Where can you get more info on camping and riding?

Glenlivet12

I'm heading up there next weekend w/ a small group. Any recomendations for trails, other things to do, places to eat? We're staying in a cabin about a mile away from the trails i think.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Sidewinder(!), Tap N Die, Widowmaker, Herbs (for a great downhill)....too many to mention. Hit up the town LBS, East Burke Sports, tell'em what you want and they'll set you up with a good route.

Have Fun!

Last edited:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Oh yeah, The Pub Outback for good bar fare and great beer. And speaking of suds, check out the local brewery, Trout River Brewing Co.

trener1

Trout river Brewing is only open on Friday and Saturday night's but if you are there over the weekend you should try hitting it up, really good beer and good Pizza.
Miss Lyndonville diner has really good fresh "homecooked" style food.
Sweet Basile Cafe is good.
If you want something a bit nicer, check out the restaurant at the Darling hill hotel, good food and awesome views of the whole valley.

Glenlivet12

Trout river Brewing is only open on Friday and Saturday night's but if you are there over the weekend you should try hitting it up, really good beer and good Pizza.
Great, we'll be heading up Friday and leaving Sunday so its a short trip but we'll be sure to try out the brewery!

Hit up the town LBS, East Burke Sports, tell'em what you want and they'll set you up with a good route.

Good idea, i'll be sure to talk to them before we head out. Thanks for the suggestions, I can't wait to get up there!:getsome:

Last edited:

Glenlivet12

Sidewinder(!), Tap N Die, Widowmaker, Herbs (for a great downhill)....too many to mention. Hit up the town LBS, East Burke Sports, tell'em what you want and they'll set you up with a good route.

Have Fun!

Thanks for the suggestions Sidewinder was insane:getsome: We hit a ton of trails I can't remember them all, Herbs was great also. It was nice riding all day and seeing maybe two or three other bikers the whole time, it was like having the woods to yourself. We are definitely going up there again and hopefully soon. We got to ride a new trail, "Burnham Down" not terribly technical but a lot of fun. They built a bunch of long bridges about 1.5-2ft wide and flared them out at the turns over some boggy areas. It was a really good time I wish we stayed longer than the weekend.

Top Bottom