Invincible

Mare

So, here's the deal. I am going to buy myself some armor (and coerce my team-mates into doing this with me), get out there, and attack the logs!!!

Who rides with this stuff?

Any recommendations on brands that are small enough for women (so we aren't pulling up shin guards every few minutes)?

Anyone else want to join in on the fun? The more, the merrier!

J

JerseyGirl

When I first started out riding (using flat top peddles) I used the hammer pads. They were flexible enough and the velcro strips really held nicely so no adjustments were necessary. They really saved my shins from plenty of digs. the big issue was the how hot your shins got. you definitely noticed the moisture build up. I stopped using then once I switched over to clipless.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
When I first started out riding (using flat top peddles) I used the hammer pads. They were flexible enough and the velcro strips really held nicely so no adjustments were necessary. They really saved my shins from plenty of digs. the big issue was the how hot your shins got. you definitely noticed the moisture build up. I stopped using then once I switched over to clipless.

I used soccer shin guards and they vent really well. Two elastic velcro straps keep them in place quite well.

sixseven

I use armor from http://www.rockgardn.com. Very lightweight and breathable, comfortable too. I picked up the Flak jacket and the knee/shin guards. They stay in place.

You can use the elbow/forearm guards separate from the jacket.

Lots of sizes too choose from, even kid sizes.

The Ladies Flak Jacket looks hot. Pink.:)

liong71er

armor is good, it's protects anything espcially for women riders who are prone to get injury.

Last edited:

MTBTyler

If I were you I would unclip or put on flats to do log rides. I can only imagine what could have happened to me if I had clipless petals on.:rofl:

antgold

I'm not sure how protective gear can help prevent typical bikes injuries -
like breaking the wrist in case of rollover ...this is a very complex injuries .

my signature actually summarize the whole point ...

secondspeed02

body armor ..

Hey this not to disrepect !!!
:DOkay what not to do go over board with body armor ! I'd forget that stuff, practice lines that are tough in the park over & over again...
My very own weakness last year was was going over big logs, huge rock gardens ... but this time going up hill what happen I just didnt care what's to come, guess what I'd finally did it over and over again (sounds funny) MY Very first year riding A; 32x19 singlespeed... You gotta forget about falling and getting hurt all together please have fun out there...
P.S.
Let me tell you women are alot tougher..:cool: All my years riding mt. biking NJ n' races, WVA; and hiking trips in middle of no where such as Montana , New River Gorge, Snake river WY. Women are tough and the real back bone in advanture trips.. :) I've been very blessed over the years since now to meet new COOL people that are into the same advanture sports as I..
peace keep riding & I'd hope to meet more people

Sandie A.KA. "Cyclopath" where you at?

So, here's the deal. I am going to buy myself some armor (and coerce my team-mates into doing this with me), get out there, and attack the logs!!!

Any recommendations on brands that are small enough for women (so we aren't pulling up shin guards every few minutes)?

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
:eek: Aw shucks, Evan:D

I don't do body armor, it prevents those lovely temporary MTB tattoos that I love to show off at the beach amid all the proper(BORING) ladies around here:rofl:

But seriously, after my last crash, I might consider shoulder pads in the winter...

OK Mare, I'm in.

PS, secondspeed02, clean out your pm box!!!
Nobody can contact you. And somebody might want to play with your SS;)

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG

Just curious, where these mean logs are? You must be thinking big and un-ramped. Not sure if pads help with logs, as much as a mosh-pit. Perhaps we can do a mosh-pit on the next girls ride. We did that once when I was teaching at a clinic in Colorado. Every single lady tried this waterfall section. We just grabbed them if they got onto trouble. I left some blue paint on a rock there from my new bike at that time:cry: but body unscathed. ....Just a thought.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
armor is good, it's protects anything espcially for women riders who are prone to get injury.

you go have babies and tell me who is tougher. seriously. until then, keep this on topic or those who can't will sit in the corner for awhile.

i have zero tolerance for trolling in this forum.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I think liong had a communication barrier.

I know him pretty well and he is definitely pro women riders not anti.
Now let's try to translate that into mandarin;)

And women don't need to have babies to be tough, just look at one crosswise at the wrong time of the month... and you could be ripped to shreds.:rofl:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
And women don't need to have babies to be tough, just look at one crosswise at the wrong time of the month... and you could be ripped to shreds.:rofl:
Amen to that, sister. We don't have kids but my wife has reduced me down to a cowering fool on many occasions.:argue:

liong71er

you go have babies and tell me who is tougher. seriously. until then, keep this on topic or those who can't will sit in the corner for awhile.

i have zero tolerance for trolling in this forum.

well,i think i did make stupid remark here,but i don't mean to "trolling" anything in here,absoluttely not worthty.but like cyclopath comment i had communication barrier i think she's right(she's also tough:D)

i appologize if i make you feel less tough!!

rockstar

The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain.
Karl Marx (1818-1883) German philosopher and political economist.

BiknBen

The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain.
Karl Marx (1818-1883) German philosopher and political economist.

Wow...that is an awesome quote. I think I'm gonna tuck that away. They are good for motivation during a hammerfest.

ellbiddy

You might want to start off with just a shinpads as hitting anything else riding logs isn't too bad (at that speed). I have a pair you can borrow, I took a picture not too long ago of them. They run short on me so they should be okay on you.

My only gripe about wearing full pads is that it gets hot and icky, nothing changes the fact you've got more junk on you. But after smashing myself onto rocks at Diablo, I've learned to cope with the heat. If you eventually plan on going to DH parks maybe you can buy a full pad set and then take off whatever you think you don't need as you tool around with it in the parks and leave on the bare essentials that still give you protection :p

Top Bottom