WTF? 2 TM days for Hartshorne in 2009?

don

I got an email from Karen at the MCPS. Just 2 days for Hartshorne maintenance this year? WTF?

I was hoping there would be a bunch more than last year. Anyway to start a branch like ATUG for Hartshorne or a way to volunteer during the week/more days?

I don't even ride that place much but it's so close that I would love to get it running well.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I got an email from Karen at the MCPS. Just 2 days for Hartshorne maintenance this year? WTF?

I was hoping there would be a bunch more than last year. Anyway to start a branch like ATUG for Hartshorne or a way to volunteer during the week/more days?

I don't even ride that place much but it's so close that I would love to get it running well.

A well placed letter to certain local officials and /or media outlets might make sense??

Mention the work done in other NJ parks and that with only 2 days they are basically giving away $1000's of man hours.

Mention the organization and diligence of JORBA and the capability to literally turn a park around.

don

rlb - I remember that thread. There was a post on there by poor iggy saying 6 days for TM @ Hart and I thought Karen said the same at the last trail day. But the latest email/calender shows only 2 and part of the fustration and my post.

I do understand the insurance issue you highlighted but I think that takes away from getting more people to help. My wife and her friends are basic walker/hikers of the park. I could get more friends like that to come out but having them go to Holmdel for a morning is pushing it - we all have kids with really busy weekend schedules.

And you can also look at it from the point of view if it's even worth getting help that might not be as knowledgable or as hard working. Volunteers that get over to Holmdel for 9 on a Sat morning are more committed. So is it better to have 100 people that can rake leaves and move sticks or 10 that can really armor up a trail and get a bunch done in a TM session? IDK...

Jdog - great points. I thought maybe some of the folks here on mtbnj might have their ears to the ground more than I do and might know something. But like you said some letters or emails showing what JORBA has done might be a good thing.

BiknBen

I do understand the insurance issue you highlighted but I think that takes away from getting more people to help.

Frankly, the park should be accepting volunteers with open arms. Requiring a class is BS. Anything more than signing a waiver of liability is unacceptable.

The parks department should embrace the volunteers. Instead, they create road blocks. I'll simply volunteer my time to another park system.

Frank

Sasquatch
Frankly, the park should be accepting volunteers with open arms. Requiring a class is BS. Anything more than signing a waiver of liability is unacceptable.

The class is fueled by the insurance the cty. must carry. Notice that the state parks do not share the same issues....at least not yet. The lack of TM days at Hartshorne really troubles Brian and Mike as well. I will be signing up for the training and will try to assist Brian in getting the park system to "see things our way". Maybe there are some new folks who will listen to what we have to offer. We strongly encourage locals to attend and bring a positive attitude to the table.

Last edited:

don

The insurance and having a class might not be a bad thing. Some of us can use a shovel, chainsaw, lobbers, etc pretty close to a pro level but there are many out there that cannot. I brought a mess of tools to a TM day @ Hartshorne many years ago and some of my tools got f'd up from missuse. That training class will give the volunteer enough instruction to at least know that some of the tools can be very dangerous.

Like I said in the other thread, the classroom and instruction is great. No matter your knowledge level you will still learn something. It really seems that the Monmouth County Parks sets it up so that they will have volunteers going to ALL the parks to help out over the course of the season. The problem with that is most of the users (myself included) will just want to work on their own local trails.

I am sure staffing is tight, but if you could have 6 days at Hart with a small training sess (is a classroom piece really needed?) to cover the insurance needs that might get decent amount of people. Split the 1st timers up for training and the rest can go work on the bigger projects.

Frank

Sasquatch
But if 100 show up for training and only end up at Huber and Hartshorne to volunteer, that may be saying something too.

Glenlivet12

The lack TM dates is upsetting. I'm glad my friends and I signed up for the TM course. As someone who has never done any TM before I didn't, until now, expect anything other than hands on trail work from this class. It would make sense to just make the class the first TM day and spend it working on the trails with instruction as we go. I hope the fact that we are told we have to take a "class" in order to participate at Hartshorne or Huber doesn't deter people from signing. I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs of trail maintenance.

Last edited:

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Ok, Sorry I haven't sounded off on this sooner. The training sessions are more or less the same thing as a safety meeting before a TM session, just a bit longer, indoors, with a slide show, and some really cool teachers. Can you tell I am lying my ass off? I wouldn't have the "indoor training session class" either, but, it is not up to us, it is up to the MCPS management and their insurance carrier. The class room session is a run thru on the basics,(safety, proper tool use, techniques, etc.) all of which is very important to keep the park systems record of NO ONE being injured during a TM session . The training class gets everyone covered under the park systems insurance in case of injury during a TM session. The "New Volunteer Training Session" is not just a classroom deal. After the classroom, we do go out on the trails to put the info to use. You only need to attend one NVTS to be covered at any MCPS TM session. I know there are more than a few of you who know what they are doing, and have a good deal of TM experience under your belts, but, we need to do things the right way. Even though we are a large, motivated, user group, demanding things be done our way will not work. We have to prove ourselves to gain respect. Then, maybe, we can start to really get some real work done. This brings me to the point, (long way to go to get there I know), I think that if we can get a large core of MTB folk trained, we will then have a much better chance of getting our ideas heard, and taken seriously. I can't do this myself, I need as many of you as possible to attend the training and work sessions so when we do speak, some one will listen to what we have to say. We may even get 3 sessions at Hartshorn next year;).

Lewie

I am down for this training session.

My parents live in Fair Haven and I love to ride Hartshorne.

Link me to when the class/training is and I will try to be there.

jdog

Shop Keep
I think that it would make a big impression to have a huge showing at the certification and trail days.

This park needs some help. If 100 people show up it will say more than any letter could.

I will take the day off to go through the training and another to do TM.

Just post firm dates and I will bring as many people as I can.

syadasti

Wet Rag
Does the training session expire? I attended the session in HS probably about 13 years ago at Huber and I've done official trail maintenance at Hartshorne before:confused:

I think I remember the video they showed us had demonstration of using dynamite for trail work :D

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even though we are a large, motivated, user group, demanding things be done our way will not work. We have to prove ourselves to gain respect. Then, maybe, we can start to really get some real work done. This brings me to the point, (long way to go to get there I know), I think that if we can get a large core of MTB folk trained, we will then have a much better chance of getting our ideas heard, and taken seriously. I can't do this myself, I need as many of you as possible to attend the training and work sessions so when we do speak, some one will listen to what we have to say. We may even get 3 sessions at Hartshorn next year;).

Brian is exactly right. As a MCPS employee I know first hand that the county will not let outsiders set policy in any parks. It is frustrating to have to jump through hoops to get some TM done, but as Brian said lets play by the rules and show up in force for training and TM dates. Ideally once the Park System sees our dedication and skilled folks(Jorba) more accomadations could be made to improve trails. See everyone at training:D

N

NMBPmike

MCPS lets rock it..

I can attest for Brian sentiments, i am the past JORBA rep for MCPS, I am also one of the MCPs trainers for this program. For many years I too have tried to get things going at Hartshorne woods, but things fall on Def ears. We need your support and voice your concerns and opinions’ to upper management to help move this forward. Thanks for those who are willing to help and i will see you at the March training class.

Kindly,
NMBPmike

N

NMBPmike

Does the training session expire? I attended the session in HS probably about 13 years ago at Huber and I've done official trail maintenance at Hartshorne before:confused:

I think I remember the video they showed us had demonstration of using dynamite for trail work :D

Onece you go through the trails training, its good for life, You should call Karen and see if she still has your name on file, if you havent participated in over 5 years or more you may have been taken off the list, but i am not positive call karen (732) 842-4000 ext 4283 and ask.

thanks
NMBPmike

N

NMBPmike

Trails Training

Looks like we have a good turnout for the trails training class this Saturday. Thanks to everyone who has signed up, see you all then.:getsome:

NMBPmike

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
At last count we have "over 40 people signed up for the first New Volunteer Training Session" and that, is very, very, cool. The numbers are important in a number of ways, and all of them are good for the park, the park managers, and for us (when we get to go out and enjoy well maintained trails. Tell any one you think may be interested in helping out, so we can all continue to ride sweet singletrack.

jdog

Shop Keep
I wish..

Hey Brian,

You know I would so be there if it was not on a Sat. Any chance to swing tools makes me happy. We are so busy at the shop that I can't sneak away. I hope that you see 50+ folks so that these guys know that we are a powerful group.

Anyone who can make it , please go!

j-

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions