How Do You Start off Racing?

Sircrashalot

SO this year my goal is to try at least one race, but I have a few questions:

1. How fast/fit do I need to be to be reasonably not a complete speed bump & competitive enough to have fun in an entry level class at 37 years old?

2. What is a good race or series & class to start off in (looking to have fun & for a semi-laid back atmosphere)?

3. Do I need do join any organizations, get any licenses, etc?

4. Other than the obvious bike, helmet, food, drink, tube, patches, tools that I bring on a regular ride, what do I need to bring?

5. How long is a race day (wife will want to know)- how long before race start is it good to arrive, & for a typical non-endurance type xc race what time does it usually wrap up?

If there is a tread about all this sorry, but I couldn't find it. Any help or advice would be awesome and will bring good karma & many victories to the contributors :D

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Yes, Cat 3 30-39 (beginner) class at any of the H2H series races. Rules on website: http://h2hrace.com/

You can get a 1 day license at the race. Pre-reg saves you $8. Get there at least one hour before. Warm up for at least 30 minutes if you can. Expect 40-70 minutes for the actual race. Have a great time! Meet new people. It's fun.

:)

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"

1. How fast/fit do I need to be to be reasonably not a complete speed bump & competitive enough to have fun in an entry level class at 37 years old?

2. What is a good race or series & class to start off in (looking to have fun & for a semi-laid back atmosphere)?

3. Do I need do join any organizations, get any licenses, etc?

4. Other than the obvious bike, helmet, food, drink, tube, patches, tools that I bring on a regular ride, what do I need to bring?

5. How long is a race day (wife will want to know)- how long before race start is it good to arrive, & for a typical non-endurance type xc race what time does it usually wrap up?

If there is a tread about all this sorry, but I couldn't find it. Any help or advice would be awesome and will bring good karma & many victories to the contributors :D

As someone who did their first races last year at RW and Jungle Hab at....well, let's just say, a bit older than you...you'll do fine.

Arrive at least 45 min. before your scheduled race start time, even if you've pre-registered bikereg.com The Cat. 3 races usually begin at 9:00, so you should be all wrapped up at 10:30 or so but believe me, you'll wanna hang out, make new friends and just immerse yourself in the atmosphere.

Good Luck to you!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
... Any help or advice would be awesome and will bring good karma & many victories to the contributors :D

1. You need to be faster than a snail and fit enough to ride your bike through a 7-11 mile course. It's pretty hard to be a speed bump. Having fun is completely up to you and your expectations. Will you have fun if you don't win?

2. Some people ride spitting fire and venom. Some people ride with a laugh and a smile. Bring what you want into it and you'll get what you want out of it.

3. Buy a one day license at registration. Joining Jorba and Mtbnj.com bring great Karma. IMBA gets you more karma.

4. Good attitude, good humor, sunscreen, bugspray, towel/wipes, change of clothes.

5. Beginner classes go off first and usually finish first. Figure on getting in at least 1/2 hr before race start for registration and acclimation. Arrive earlier and you can usually pre-ride some or all of the course. You can leave anytime or hang and cheer the later racers in. Make it easy on yourself, tell her you'll be home for dinner and surprise her when you're early:D

I'll be looking for the good karma and many victories.... ;)

Last edited:

secondspeed02

race

Okay on topic of races..
Here is my question is anyone interested in 24hr race at allumuchy this year...

Well Im doing a couple of H2H races and 24hr race too.. peace have fun out there ..
P.S keep cranking

Sandie Let me know when you like to start Sunday morning group ride again..

Sircrashalot

Already a JORBA member and diggin' it...
Awesome info everybody...I really appreciate it. Now I have no excuses....I did forget to ask one other question tho. I see there is only a ss class on cat2. AM I better off for the first one to bring my geared 26 and do cat3 (or beginner) instead of the 29ss & cat 2 (or sport)?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Awesome info everybody...I really appreciate it. Now I have no excuses....I did forget to ask one other question tho. I see there is only a ss class on cat2. AM I better off for the first one to bring my geared 26 and do cat3 (or beginner) instead of the 29ss & cat 2 (or sport)?

Or you can ride your SS with the gearies in Cat 3. You can run a SS in a non-SS class...'just can't do the opposite.

I personally would run Cat 3 for my first race unless I KNEW I could be competitive running Cat 2 SS out of the gate. Remember Cat 2 (sport) races are usually twice as long as Cat 3. I KNOW I'd probably be puking somewhere if I tried to run Cat 2 SS for my first race back...or at least spend most of the race wondering where everybody went. I assume you can jump right into Cat 2 if you dare, back in the early 90's NORBA let you jump to Sport out of the gate if you wanted.

Now as far as running SS or geared in my Cat 3 race, I'm not 100% decided myself (my SIR9 is happy with both configurations). Up at Mahlon, where I ride 99% of the time, I am *faster* on my SS by quite a margin. This is because no matter how hard I try not to, if I have gears I shift down and spin up hills verses powering my way up on the SS....and there isn't much "high speed" flat where taller gears would provide a lot of advantage.

In the end I'll probably go geared based on the fact it is a (normally) geared class AND I'm not terribly familiar with most of the venues. SS'ing somewhere I'm not very familiar with puts me, anyway, at quite a disadvantage.

Last edited:

MTBTyler

Arrive earlier and you can usually pre-ride some or all of the course.
Is there any way i could practice the course a month/week in advance? That way I could get a feel for the trail. Ive never riden wayway or JH and thats where I want to try to race. Anyone have a gps map of the course at wayway?

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
There promises to be a change in the Waway course this year, and JH, that course wasn't set until literally the day prior to the race.

For Wawayanda, take a trip up there anytime prior to the race date and just get a feel for the terrain. Ride Red Dot, Sitting Bear, Lookout; almost a certainty they'll remain part of the course.

Jungle Hab isn't until September; you've got plenty of opportunities to check out old favs like Animal Chute and Warthog, but the race begins at the top parking lot.

Sircrashalot

Or you can ride your SS with the gearies in Cat 3. You can run a SS in a non-SS class...'just can't do the opposite.

Right on....thats what I wasn't sure of. You make a great point too about the ss & unfamiliar ground. I normally ride 6 mile run & know it well so I know when to build momentum for a coming climb & how much I need. On an unknown course I can see where that might be a major disadvantage.

Again...thanks to everyone who has posted great info. I have been on the fence about racing because of 'the unknowns' taking me a bit out of my comfort zone. Now I feel confident that I can show up for a race, find a class that will be fun, and have a great time. I don't expect to be, or even care too much if I am fast or not...goal the first time out is to finish, and hopefully not dead last but if so that's ok too.

wonderturtle

Sircrachalot (and other nubbie racers like me), I made my potential 2009 Ride/Race Calender - partly so that I knew what to "train" for and partly to alert my wife ahead of time .

It includes a mixture of: (1) "tours" that I'll ride to get some miles in - I'll put road tires on my mtb; (2) two off-road biathlons; and (3) mtb races (I'll race beginner). distances are from Red Bank. thought it might give other nubbies some ideas.

4/26/2009 - 2009 Tour De Franklin

5/3/2009 - Wawayanda Spring Cleaning, Wawayanda State Park (2 hrs)

5/9/2009 - KING of the HILL OFF ROAD DUATHLON, Round Valley Park, Lebanon, NJ (1 hr)

6/21/2009 - The Darkhorse Gallop- Stewart State Forest, Rockland Co, NY
(2.25 hrs)

7/12/2009 - Bulldog Rump (Andover, NJ – 1.5 hrs) – near Newton

7/26/2009 - Lewis Morris Challenge, Lewis Morris Park (Mendam, NJ – 1.25 hrs)

8/8/2009 - Woods Hollow Classic Mountain Bike Race (Tatum Park, Middletown)

9/13/2009 - Chain Stretcher (Peekskill, NY- 2 hrs)

9/26/2009 - Twin Lights Ride (Atl. Highlands)

9/27/2009 - Rumble in the Jungle (West Milford, NJ – 1.75 hrs)

10/4/2009 - H2H Race #8 (Ringwood, NJ - 1.5 hrs)

10/25/2009 - ??? Mtn Man Biathon?? , Lewis Morris Park (Mendam, NJ – 1.25 hrs)

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Yes, Cat 3 30-39 (beginner) class at any of the H2H series races. Rules on website: http://h2hrace.com/

You can get a 1 day license at the race. Pre-reg saves you $8. Get there at least one hour before. Warm up for at least 30 minutes if you can. Expect 40-70 minutes for the actual race. Have a great time! Meet new people. It's fun.

:)
Hey Ellen, I have a question about the H2H races. I did the Bulldog Rump a couple of times in the sport category but I think I was out of my league. Because I raced in that category can I still race as a beginner or I have to stay at that level?

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
Hey Ellen, I have a question about the H2H races. I did the Bulldog Rump a couple of times in the sport category but I think I was out of my league. Because I raced in that category can I still race as a beginner or I have to stay at that level?

Once you race up to the next category from Cat 3 to Cat 2 (Beginner to Sport) you cannot go back. If you read the rules at H2Hrace.com it outlines upgrades.

secondspeed02

racing

Whats up. Its really cool that your new to the sport and interested in Racing...
Okay this random question: being an Jorba member are you interest doing any Trail maintenance dates this year? Real reason why I say that It can help you score better in overall points standing -> (racing).. Check out on Jorba.org under "paydirt points" gives out helpful rules. peace
talk to you later

Sircrashalot

Whats up. Its really cool that your new to the sport and interested in Racing...
Okay this random question: being an Jorba member are you interest doing any Trail maintenance dates this year? Real reason why I say that It can help you score better in overall points standing -> (racing).. Check out on Jorba.org under "paydirt points" gives out helpful rules. peace
talk to you later

Yuppers know all about paydirt. Did some TM last year but had a lot goin on so not as much as I'd have liked. Plan on doing more this year, but my 'home' trails dates are top secret so far http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9837

:D I am sure once the dates are sorted out they will be declassified!

Top Bottom