Beginner question: New bike vs. old?

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
I want to get into road biking. I have a very old road bike, a 1970's model schwinn. It still rides smoothly, and it is only slightly too big for me. I'm very tempted by the nice looking new bikes that exist now, and I can afford to drop a grand, if necessary. Is it worth it? What would be better with the new bike?

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
Lighter weight materials, proper fit and most important would be STI shifting.

Are those important enough to warrant the expense? I mean, how much lighter can it be? If I'm not racing competitively, who cares about an extra couple pounds, and the ease of shifting, right?

Also, how bad is it that my leg extends completely from the lowest seat height? I think I'm supposed to have a little bend left in it... could that damage my knees?

Last edited:

doctor855

if your saddle is as low as it can go and your knee locks out i would say the bike is more than just "slightly to big". the longer distance that you ride the more pronounced any fit issues will become.
as for is it worth the expense? i would say most definately yes.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
Thanks for the confident response. I think I'll take a trip into the shop this week, probably Bike N Gear, unless someone has a good reason why I should go somewhere else. I've been to High Gear a number of times, they are nice. Opinions?

fasterthanliam

Thanks for the confident response. I think I'll take a trip into the shop this week, probably Bike N Gear, unless someone has a good reason why I should go somewhere else. I've been to High Gear a number of times, they are nice. Opinions?
I have only good reasons to go to Bike N Gear.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
Bike-N-Gear is a great shop!!!

I called them today... they seem knowledgeable. I also went to Efinger sporting goods. Both places helped me out a lot, but I'm thinking it might be better to shop at the small place, both to support the local business, and to form a relationship with the store.

lancerracer

Both Efingers and Bike n Gear are great places, and you will get awesome service and an awesome bike at either. Don't think though that because Efingers is a rather large store that you wont get to build a relationship with them. The guys in the bike shop really try hard to give everyone great service.

That being said, you can't go wrong by choosing either place! Enjoy whatever bike you get and most importantly, ride it!! (The riding part is what I forget to do sometimes...)

bobkennelly

OR...Go to Halters cycle in South Brunswick , Talk to J, the owner, he will help you with anything you need to know.
In my opinion, it is a top rated shop, I have been going there 19 years now.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
Thanks for the recommendations. I went to Halters this morning, and they treated me well. I think I will buy my roadie there.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to get into road biking. I have a very old road bike, a 1970's model schwinn. It still rides smoothly, and it is only slightly too big for me. I'm very tempted by the nice looking new bikes that exist now, and I can afford to drop a grand, if necessary. Is it worth it? What would be better with the new bike?

Thanks for the recommendations. I went to Halters this morning, and they treated me well. I think I will buy my roadie there.

After you get some time on the new road bike post up and let us know how you like the new ride. I'd be interested to know what you think of the new technology.:)

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
After you get some time on the new road bike post up and let us know how you like the new ride. I'd be interested to know what you think of the new technology.:)

A 5 minute spin around the parking lot blew me away with the new handlebar setup, hands on the top and all. The brake/shifters were nice too. Plus, it didnt sound like a shopping cart when it hits a pebble in the road, like my old ride did.
I can't wait to ride it for a few miles, and find out if my back likes it too.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
I bought my roadie from Halter's yesterday, because of your recommendations. J was great to work with, and set me up with a Canondale Synapse 5 Alloy. He literally spent hours with me making sure I had the right size and shape handlebars and that the clips on my shoes were aligned just right, etc. I don't know a ton about road bikes, but I'm pretty satisfied so far.

Now all I need is to find some more rural roads where I'm less likely to end up in the ER. I pedaled untill I found some farms today :p

walter

Fourth Party
I bought my roadie from Halter's yesterday, because of your recommendations. J was great to work with, and set me up with a Canondale Synapse 5 Alloy. He literally spent hours with me making sure I had the right size and shape handlebars and that the clips on my shoes were aligned just right, etc. I don't know a ton about road bikes, but I'm pretty satisfied so far.

Now all I need is to find some more rural roads where I'm less likely to end up in the ER. I pedaled untill I found some farms today :p

Essentially the same bike as I have, mine is 2 years old. Awesome bike, you'll be very happy with it. Enjoy!

Top Bottom