Bike sizing

xc62701

If you are in between bike sizes what do you choose? This is in reference to a road bike actually. My measurements from my old bike are right down the middle of the specs on a new one. Would you err on the larger side or smaller side? Is there a general rule for this?

lou_b_83

I would go for the large side. You can always get new stem or move your seat to get proper position. IMO

Shaggz

A strong 7
If you are in between bike sizes what do you choose? This is in reference to a road bike actually. My measurements from my old bike are right down the middle of the specs on a new one. Would you err on the larger side or smaller side? Is there a general rule for this?
I always felt that I was never felt that my bike purchases were the right fit for me. I have long arms and legs, and a shorter torso, and, using broad terms, seem to fall in between a medium and large.

I stopped by Halters the other day, only to have that confirmed by J_. He spent well over an hour putting me on different bikes, swapping out stems, taking measurements, etc. While I still have more questions than answers about sizing, I found it extremely helpful to have someone look at this for me, and I would recommend going to a shop that has the rep for doing bike fittings.

Last edited:

BiknBen

Would you err on the larger side or smaller side? Is there a general rule for this?

It is very individual. There are no rules.

I tend to error on the small side. My legs are slightly longer than average for my height. Most of my bikes look on the small side cause I'm fitting based on the top tube measurement first. I just expose a little more seat post in order to fit my legs.

The smaller frame will be a few grams lighter and may have more nimble handling.

jimjo

pick a different manufacturer especially for a road bike
when the measurements are taken and adjusted in mm anything thats not quite right will be exacerbated and painful when you go on long rides

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
A professional fit will help you determine where your saddle and stem will be best for you. For instance, if you have a long femur in relation to your lower leg, sliding the saddle back on a small bike may be good. If you have short arms, a short stem may be good. So it helps to know what you are first before you decide.

xc62701

Thanks to all for replying. I have been professionally fitted and these measurements are being used to transfer from a Lemond geometry to a Trek. It just happens that I am right in between the 2 sizings. Basically I think I could ride either it just seems to be whatever feels right. I've always been on what seems to be a 56 and I'm very comfortable on that. I'm trying a loaner 58 out tomorrow to see if I like that. I know it comes down to a lot of different measurements etc but it's tough without having two of the same bikes in the different sizes to compare.

Top Bottom