Is it Possible to Ride Allamuchy D.P. to Waterloo side?

VGT

Is it possible to connect Deer Park section of Allamuchy to the Waterloo side via trail?

Is it possible to connect Deer Park section of Allamuchy to the Waterloo side via trail?

Contact Emrah Ayhan. He posts here infrequently, but he rides DP/Mooch often -it's his home park and he knows it well. He'll tell you the best route. Ayhan rides obsessively, so if you want to see the route firsthand, ask and he will guide you.

The Kalmyk

This question has been asked by me without any concrete responces...Supposedly there is a way under RT. 80 but I haven't a clue...D.P. to Stephens connects right at the concert field FYI

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Connections

Sure you can, but there is a segment of road involved. You can either take the green or orange (prefered) out of DP to Waterloo Rd. The orange trail dumps you near the Concert Filed. Take Kinny Rd (heading SE) and look for the steel gate on the left (after crossing the river), head out across the old quarry and folow the trail into Stephens or take Kinny to the end and make a rt onto Waterloo Velley Rd. Just past the RR crossing you can jump into the trails from there.

The RT 80 tunnel...hard to describe but here is an attempt. From the orange trail take a left on Waterloo Rd. Turn into the frist driveway (yeah driveway), bear left past the old house (DEP owns the land dont worry about any shotguns) head towards RT 80 and bear to the right. You should see the tunnel, big enough to fit a truck through it. Takes you over to Waterloo Village. You can then get to the North section from here.

Bob W.

Sure you can, but there is a segment of road involved. You can either take the green or orange (prefered) out of DP to Waterloo Rd. The orange trail dumps you near the Concert Filed. Take Kinny Rd (heading SE) and look for the steel gate on the left (after crossing the river), head out across the old quarry and folow the trail into Stephens or take Kinny to the end and make a rt onto Waterloo Velley Rd. Just past the RR crossing you can jump into the trails from there.

The RT 80 tunnel...hard to describe but here is an attempt. From the orange trail take a left on Waterloo Rd. Turn into the frist driveway (yeah driveway), bear left past the old house (DEP owns the land dont worry about any shotguns) head towards RT 80 and bear to the right. You should see the tunnel, big enough to fit a truck through it. Takes you over to Waterloo Village. You can then get to the North section from here.

Bob W.

Bob is the pro on these trails. I have always asked him. I have seen that tunnel, but always thought there is always a bear sleeping in there. So better not bother him.

the best way to connect the DP to north side ( some call it west side or allamuchy) is go throught waterloo road. And it is a nice combination of road and single tracks. but if you are riding a SS, it looks funny on the road section because you pedal yourself out unless you are riding (33:16 or 17).

If you start from the first parking lot in DP and go throught main white trial down to orange you will hit to waterloo road. this part is approximatley 6 miles. And then another 3 miles to "T" intersection then main white in the north side unless you do some connecting loops it is 8-9 miles. I usually do Bob's new trail to Violet, Cardiac and Ditch. I love that section. and then hit to 517 which is another 2-3 miles back to DP road. Approximatel total is 18-19 miles again depending on some side dishes. But overall if you hang out and ride it is a 2 hour ride.

Let me know anybody want to ride.

VGT

Many thanks!

Hey guys, many thanks. I actually laughed a bit reading the part about the bear sleeping in the tunnel.

I will try the non tunnel route....and will PM you for a tour. I try and get out there to ride a lot....my home turf is Ringwood...as I live 15 minutes away...but I get sick of riding the same stuff all the time...so I like to go out to Allamuchy. Also, I always get lost riding on the Waterloo side....I hope someone develops a good updated map...because there are a ton of trails that are not on any of the older maps.

Thanks again.

VGT

One More Thing...

....I forgot to mention this....I rode Allamuchy Deer Park on Monday early morning...the temp was 19 degrees...so the ground was very very solid. BUT, I noticed a lot of people had been out and created a lot of ruts. I also noticed horshoe marks all over the trails as well as boot marks from hikers. So, not only are the mountain bikers hurting the trails...but the hikers and horseback riders.

All users have to smarten up. To hear hikers complain constantly about mountain bikers is a joke...because I saw a LOT of big frozen footprints. I was shocked about the bike ruts....I thought we were smarter than than considering the over all limited access we have in the state of NJ.

It was only one week ago that there was snow and ice on the ground...come people....give the trails a break and some time to firm up...or just ride them early when they are frozen for goodness sake!!!....like I did. I was off the trails way before it thawed yesterday.

Ok, rant over.

VGT

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Ruts and stuff

To quote Frank..."Amen brother" if everyone starts thinking like you we wont have to worry about the ruts!!!

Hey guys, many thanks. I actually laughed a bit reading the part about the bear sleeping in the tunnel.

I will try the non tunnel route....and will PM you for a tour. I try and get out there to ride a lot....my home turf is Ringwood...as I live 15 minutes away...but I get sick of riding the same stuff all the time...so I like to go out to Allamuchy. Also, I always get lost riding on the Waterloo side....I hope someone develops a good updated map...because there are a ton of trails that are not on any of the older maps.

Thanks again.

Let me know when you'd like to ride, I can show you many by-trails on the other side. In fact I know a trail that connects to rt 206 some parts are very techinical but then u can go to Kitty park (Kittitany) and then merge back to North side.

It is one of the most enjoable ones. Some parts are technical, good clibs, and fast tracks. We have got the one of the most beautiful trails in the country I think. combination of DP, Stephens, North side, and Kitty park.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
All users have to smarten up. To hear hikers complain constantly about mountain bikers is a joke...because I saw a LOT of big frozen footprints. I was shocked about the bike ruts....I thought we were smarter than than considering the over all limited access we have in the state of NJ.

I might add that, as a rider, one does not have to be "on the gas" or bombing the downhill the entire time. Especially this time of year if you come across a steep hill and it is slick, walk the darn thing. Don't let your tires rip the hell out of it while they slip out. The same with the corners -- when slick, don't press the turn so you slip and slide, tearing up the trail in the process. Take it slower, even on the downhills.

I rode the other day when the ground was frozen, but there were still some short sections with softer spots. I just took it very easy on them and they were fine. If I ripped them, they would have been damaged. Just be mindful of the curves and the hills, especially in Deer Park and Allamuchy North near Route 517 where the soil is very sandy.

VGT

Let me know when you'd like to ride, I can show you many by-trails on the other side. In fact I know a trail that connects to rt 206 some parts are very techinical but then u can go to Kitty park (Kittitany) and then merge back to North side.
QUOTE]

Will do...thank for the offer. Once we get through this freeze / thaw period...I am going to take you up on that offer....because I always get lost / frustrated at the Allamuchy Waterloo side.

VGT

QUOTE]

Will do...thank for the offer. Once we get through this freeze / thaw period...I am going to take you up on that offer....because I always get lost / frustrated at the Allamuchy Waterloo side.

VGT

great! we can try 4 park epic ride ( DP -> Stephens -> Kittitany -> Allamuchy ) or we can do ( DP -> Allamuchy ( more loops ) -> DP ).

secondspeed02

great - group ride !

Sorry If I'm butting in but have say can I join in the festivities.. It's not just a ride an epic one at that ...awesome My name is Evan Magno. I did my share of volunteer efforts of Trail maintenance too... P.s waiting for first of this year 2009 Its nice to hear go points of views of trails

great! we can try 4 park epic ride ( DP -> Stephens -> Kittitany -> Allamuchy ) or we can do ( DP -> Allamuchy ( more loops ) -> DP ).

VGT

great! we can try 4 park epic ride ( DP -> Stephens -> Kittitany -> Allamuchy ) or we can do ( DP -> Allamuchy ( more loops ) -> DP ).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like good runs. I am very interested in that. Will be nice not having to figure out where I am.....I just have to follow you all day.

VGT

Sounds like good runs. I am very interested in that. Will be nice not having to figure out where I am.....I just have to follow you all day.

VGT[/QUOTE]

we can garmin it and I can email it to you, once you knwo main trail the spin offs you can test them as you ride them. frankly, the white trail from DP to allamuchy will be good enough not be lost. the rest connects back to main trails as you get in to them. If it is forzen on sunday morning I am planning on riding, let me know if you can do it. we can start early so the day can be salvaged.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep

All the responses weren't the "way" you were looking for. There is almost no road needed at all. Someday we'll run into each other and I'll run ya thru how its done. That being said it does become a rather huge loop:D

VGT

All the responses weren't the "way" you were looking for. There is almost no road needed at all. Someday we'll run into each other and I'll run ya thru how its done. That being said it does become a rather huge loop:D

That would be great. Long / epic loops are ok with me.

VGT

Top Bottom