Dirt bikers (moto) at Ringwood

sixseven

Hey guys.

Figure I'd chime in.

I know that the trail you guys call Renegade was made by a moto for sure.
When we started to ride it we nicknamed it "Fire Hydrant" since there is a hydrant at the begining of the trail at the fire road end of it.

Funny you say "hikers inherit the earth" six seven. I remember when they started to designate and mark the trails in RSP for hiking, biking and horse riding. When we first saw the signs pop up we were like WTH we have been riding these trails for so long, now it's only for hiking!

I really dont mind sharing the park with the hikers/horse riders/moto.
It's getting the people to realize that certain trails can only suppport their respective activitiy.

Most of the trail designations and the loss of access for motos probably came down to insurance BS, and noise complaints. Eventually there will be a silent electric moto and MTBers will lust after them...the tides will turn...but thats a ways off I guess.
Hikers will always complain the most and will always have the biggest lobby, even if we don't see their numbers out on the trails. They have the weight of history on their side.
Nice avatar by the way.

JoeKing

Hun????

Joe-

" but i think the no moto rules are there to protect the riders of the moto's"

Logical extension.......ban obese people from McDonalds

Hope for a free society.....Some people will do stupid self destructive things...It isn't the government's place to protect you...from YOURSELF:hmmm:

phathucker

"Blue"]Hardtale really hit..you people who run quick to the teacher (park rangers) are setting us up for the closing of Ringwood to mountain bikes too.

I've been riding mtb's in rsp since 1987 & before that I rode (horrible) dirt bikes. Having been a party to numerous land closures in both activities, we mountain bike riders should be the LAST people to try to restrict park usage to anyone!

Get a grip people...the hikers, leaf peepers, horsey set ALL think rsp & (every park) are..THEIRS..& theirs alone. Mountain bikes are just another..UN-NATURAL machine, which to them has no place in their "natural" world.

Who owns the park..WE ALL DO. Just because some faceless park official, in response to the political power of one group of users over another CHOOSES to outlaw one group..doesn't make it RIGHT. Motorcyclists pay taxes too, last I checked. Don't even try to say "they are ruining" the trails..BS. First as already mentioned..they probably MADE them to begin with & after the next rain...you'd never know they were there!

The selfishness I have witnessed related to PUBLIC land usage disgusts me...I expect more from the mtb community. "

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

There is a large group of mountain bikers that need to stop being tattle tales and just ride......

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Who owns the park..WE ALL DO. Just because some faceless park official, in response to the political power of one group of users over another CHOOSES to outlaw one group..doesn't make it RIGHT. Motorcyclists pay taxes too, last I checked. Don't even try to say "they are ruining" the trails..BS. First as already mentioned..they probably MADE them to begin with & after the next rain...you'd never know they were there!

The selfishness I have witnessed related to PUBLIC land usage disgusts me...I expect more from the mtb community. "

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

There is a large group of mountain bikers that need to stop being tattle tales and just ride......

Yes we all pay taxes and technically we all "own" the trails, but if it is illegal, no mt biker, hiker or any other trail user is being a tattle tale by reporting seeing the moto riders. A bunch of people on this site have a part in maintaining the trails they ride and damn straight that are gonna be pissed if the motocycles are tearing the place up and if you don't get pissed, well, it is gonna take alot more than an AMEN to save you. An creating the trails in the first place, sure, because they can just tearing the hell out of anything in one ride, does that give them the right to just tear everything up all of the time?

Sircrashalot

As someone who has always ridden quads & dirtbikes, sometimes illegally, I can say that it is a whole different animal thank hiking, mtn. biking, horse back riding. FOr one thing, dirtbikes are LOUD. ALl of the other users of the public land are looking for peace & quiet among other things. One dirtbike ripping through a park like 6 mile run for example, ruins that for all of the other users. The rights of the many outweigh the rights of the few.
As far as tearing up the trail....hell yeah dirt bikes & quads flat out dig holes that do become permanent & get deeper & deeper over time & do not vanish after a rain.

I have written letters to gov't about the need to allow 'moto' dirtbikes legal places to ride. They should have some public land allotted for them. There should be motorbike only trail areas in the larger parks, or one of two weekend days allotted for them. They should be charged, however, & the responsible ones would gladly pay a daily or seasonal access fee to cover the costs associated with un-doing the trail damage they absolutely do cause.
Trying to throw them into the group with all the non-motorized trail users is begging for serious accidents, trail destruction, and destruction of the peaceful qualities of the trail that ALL the other users enjoy. Wont work. NOT fair to everyone else.
Stuff like this http://www.njorvp.org/Directions.html leaves people with expensive toys who are passionate about their sport no legal place to ride & that blows....but if they close the closest grocery store to my house do I have the right to break into your house & rob your fridge? NO.:getsome:

bucknejo

Hi guys, I know this thread is like a decade old and I’m sure the topic comes up more often than not but has there been a rule change lately? Are moto cross bikes and/or ATVs allowed in NJ state parks? Saw a moto guy decked out in full competition gear rolling up a fire road today. He waved as if it was all good. I put my arms up like WTF? I guess I’m a d-ck now, idk.

this link seems to be pretty clear, but maybe I missed something?

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/mopedatv.htm

maybe he was going to a race and the only way to get there was through the park?

jklett

Hi guys, I know this thread is like a decade old and I’m sure the topic comes up more often than not but has there been a rule change lately? Are moto cross bikes and/or ATVs allowed in NJ state parks? Saw a moto guy decked out in full competition gear rolling up a fire road today. He waved as if it was all good. I put my arms up like WTF? I guess I’m a d-ck now, idk.

maybe he was going to a race and the only way to get there was through the park?
I don't know about motos being allowed but according to the article e-bikes are classified as mopeds. I can't be the only one who gets a chuckle out of that.

Mr.Moto

They are not allowed in state parks. But you see motos, atvs, and even the larger atvs with the roll cages riding through the park. I think they are mostly locals.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

use the warn-dep app, let appropriate authorities take care of it.

chris12453

@Patrick

I ride ATV's not in parks, but I have spoken with the Rangers at Wayway and Ringwood about this. There is no interest in chasing or really doing anything about it right now. They cited man power issues. Now, I will say this, a few rangers I know (not going to name anybody) ride their motos in the parks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@Patrick

I ride ATV's not in parks, but I have spoken with the Rangers at Wayway and Ringwood about this. There is no interest in chasing or really doing anything about it right now. They cited man power issues. Now, I will say this, a few rangers I know (not going to name anybody) ride their motos in the parks.

The lack of dedicated space for Moto is a problem. I don't mind as long as they are not ripping up st.

Still the right thing to do is take a pic and report. Could be useful if there is more egregious incident.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The lack of dedicated space for Moto is a problem. I don't mind as long as they are not ripping up st.

Still the right thing to do is take a pic and report. Could be useful if it’s one of the rangers.
Fixed. I think.
Maybe not.
🤷🏼‍♂️

serviceguy

From direct experience the problem seems to be kids riding the quad at full speed disregarding the presence and safety of mountain bikers and hikers alike. I had them cut in front of me on a trail without any warning (other than the super loud exhaust obviously) or passing me at very close proximity. man, do I sound old or what!

On the up side yesterday I noticed that one of the quad riders that lives next to Ryerson is moving so...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions