My new project, any suggestions

fit4life

I just stripped down my 1986 Univega Alipina Uno. I want to build her back up, and I thinking SS with a lean toward urban riding rather than mountain. Does any one have any suggestions or tips?
BEFORE
before.jpg

AFTER
frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

fit4life

Took about 15 minutes. One 2X4, a chop saw, some wood screws and and old black and decker vise. Cost was $0.00 dollars, just some old stuff laying around the garage.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
if i had the parts lying around i'd start with slicks, probably make it an ss or fix. mustache bars and a new stem to be snazzy;) i wouldn't spend to much to do it tho.

al415

Banned
In addition to a northroad type bar I'd put a nice fat tire on there for optimum about town hooning. I like the Maxxis Holy Roller. I'd not spend money on anything crazy like an eno wheel. Try to use the wheels you have with a spacer / tensioner set up. Looks like fun. What are you going to do with your old take-off parts?

ArmyOfNone

Nice job striping the paint. SS for sure. Thin set of knobbies for sure. Sounds like your ready for cyclocross for sure! :D

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
kind of obvious but i would get those cranks & bb off before painting unless you can cover them up really well somehow .. also put tape on the threads, brake stays, etc... before painting

fit4life

kind of obvious but i would get those cranks & bb off before painting unless you can cover them up really well somehow .. also put tape on the threads, brake stays, etc... before painting

cranks should be off tonight , i had to bring the frame to works to loosen them up.

fit4life

In addition to a northroad type bar I'd put a nice fat tire on there for optimum about town hooning. I like the Maxxis Holy Roller. I'd not spend money on anything crazy like an eno wheel. Try to use the wheels you have with a spacer / tensioner set up. Looks like fun. What are you going to do with your old take-off parts?

I am reusing brakes and wheels. The shifters and derailuers are for sale or trade. I need tires, seat, and seat post.

al415

Banned
I am reusing brakes and wheels. The shifters and derailuers are for sale or trade. I need tires, seat, and seat post.

Well, if you don't go the route I suggested with tires, I have a set of 1.8 michelins that should work for you. What size seatpost? Are you planning to keep that nifty bullmoose bar/stem combo (hint)?

fit4life

Well, if you don't go the route I suggested with tires, I have a set of 1.8 michelins that should work for you. What size seatpost? Are you planning to keep that nifty bullmoose bar/stem combo (hint)?

I am not sure of the seat post size, I have to get a caliper and measure. I am interested in tires. I am keeping the nifty bar stem/combo as of right now.

fit4life

i just checked and the original seat post is labeled 25.8
Here are the shifters and derailuers if anyone i interested..
shifters.jpg

al415

Banned
Neato. If I was restoring my 1985 bike with gears I'd be all over those. I only have 26.8 and 27.2 posts around, looks like eBay for your post quest.

That's a classic, the Alpina... Definitely right up there with the early MTB classics. I'd say hold on to those derailleurs... The Suntour Mountechs were EXCELLENT derailleurs, and they're pretty rare. I have a lugged 1985 Stumpjumper (that's pretty much original with Suntour XC, except I've turned it into a commuter), a customized lugged 85 Stumpjumper Sport (with internal-geared SRAM P5 5-spd hub), and for my latest project I'm building up an 86 Rockhopper (TIG'ed frame) with bullmoose handlebars, a SRAM S7 7-speed internal gear hub and a SRAM iLight front generator hub with a custom LED generator light built by JeffDawg, aka Dr FrankenLight...

Here are links to some pictures:
85 Stumpy - http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157606654434569/ (The shifters and derailleurs in the pics are Shimano Deore; very nice, but replaced with the Suntour XC - even nicer)
85 Stumpy Sport - The Peace Bike http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157607969345534/, which features a 2-tone paintjob from the Color Factory, and I laced up the rear wheel with the P5 hub... which is one of the only internal geared hubs that will fit the 126mm rear spacing (probably the same on your Alpina, or yours may be 130).

There's SO many different ways to set that bike up... Having it clear-coated might look slick...Or send it to the Color Factory in Waretown... They did a splendid job on my wife's Stumpy Sport for about $200 (and that included bead-blasting, epoxy-primer and Imron paint). You can easily go fixie/flip-flop SS with the horiz dropouts or do an internal hub like mine...

I live up 206 in Montgomery... Stop by to see my bikes if you want ideas...email me.
Peace,
BB

Top Bottom