Two Motobecane's for Review

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
id avoid that full suspension bike. one rule of thumb is "you get what you pay for". 700 for a full suspension bike sounds kinda sketchy. ALSO, that bike will come to you unassembled. unless you are a pretty good wrench building it is going to be a bitch. after you take it to your local bike shop to be assembled you are going to be upwards of 900 or more. so if you are looking to spend 900ish and are set on full suspension id suggest checking out the giant yukon fx. its a reputable brand and really good components for the price. ALSO you can pick it up at a great shop like halters. have a look here

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2278/32120/

Shaggz

A strong 7
Remes, not too familiar w/Motobecanes, but I would suggest you head to Town Cycles and check out the Giant line. IMHO, best bang for your buck, plus the guys over there are great! Also, look into trail maintenance dates at Jungle Habitat, either here or JORBAorg.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Remes, not too familiar w/Motobecanes, but I would suggest you head to Town Cycles and check out the Giant line. IMHO, best bang for your buck, plus the guys over there are great! Also, look into trail maintenance dates at Jungle Habitat, either here or JORBAorg.

Amen.

btw - the Giant Yukon for years has been the best value starter bike out there.

R

Remes

Yeah town cycle is great , im just kinda looking for the most bang for my buck, the giant yukon is rated great but if u compare the specs the motobecane fantom hardtail actualy has better components. their frames are guarentee'd for life also so it looks like a good deal. just looking for some opinions on that

Sircrashalot

I think these are on sale someplace :) No doubt the best bang for the buck....entry level....

Attachments

• 1188-male-bicycle.jpg
    1188-male-bicycle.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Robson

Agreed, when I see those bikes I wonder just how long they'd hold up. With my riding I doubt I'd get a week out of it.

I rode Ringwood on Fantom PRO29 since may last year very, very hard...there is nothing wrong with them. You have to have one before you start writing negative opinions;)

xc62701

I rode Ringwood on Fantom PRO29 since may last year very, very hard...there is nothing wrong with them. You have to have one before you start writing negative opinions;)

It's not a negative opinion, more of an observation coming from the guy that cracked 4 frames in the past year - 2 Fishers, a trek, and a klein down. I'd be willing to form a more accurate opinion if someone wants to lend me one ;)

Robson

It's not a negative opinion, more of an observation coming from the guy that cracked 4 frames in the past year - 2 Fishers, a trek, and a klein down. I'd be willing to form a more accurate opinion if someone wants to lend me one ;)
If you crack frames so often I doubt anyone would be willing to lend you any bike;)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah town cycle is great , im just kinda looking for the most bang for my buck, the giant yukon is rated great but if u compare the specs the motobecane fantom hardtail actualy has better components. their frames are guarentee'd for life also so it looks like a good deal. just looking for some opinions on that

Component-wise you're right, nothing else comes close. You'll find differing opinions on the frames. Some say they use old but proven designs made at the same factories that make all the other bikes. Some are not so impressed:

http://huntergatherernyc.com/2008/05/motobecane-bikesdirectcom-avoid/

Everyone has a different risk threshold and I think others have commented on the positives of buying from an LBS so I'll leave it that.

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
I say we look at the obvious and wonder why there are no local dealers pushing Motobecane. This site has many shop sponcers as well as shop employees that are regulars here. Not ONE of them has chimed in, in favor of Motobecane.

I would be much more happier knowing that I can walk into a shop and have my Alivio derailler fixed or replaced on the spot than have to worry about mailing my LX derailler back to bike direct.

My opinion is swayed, just like yours. Would you buy a car online without seeing it, because it was cheaper? Would you buy your wife or girlfriend lingerie online just because it was cheaper?

My point, stay local and ride every bike you can. Supporting a bike shop is going to pay off in the long run.

R

Remes

Thanks for the advise guys, im going to take a look in town at the lbs , ill let you know how it goes

Top Bottom