Carbon Fiber Seat Post Lube

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I'm trying to move the seatpost on my road bike and it's extremely tight. I was going to put some lube on it but I remember reading somewhere that carbon fiber doesn't react well with all types. Any sugestions?

Tim

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Thanks,

Read up a little more and it seems like I had corrosion. Cleaned it out and everything looks good. From what I read, it seems like the no grease on carbon thing is somewhat of an old wifes tale. Even Zinn is recommending that you grease the CF if installed into Alum or steel.

Tim

syadasti

Wet Rag
Thanks,

Read up a little more and it seems like I had corrosion. Cleaned it out and everything looks good. From what I read, it seems like the no grease on carbon thing is somewhat of an old wifes tale. Even Zinn is recommending that you grease the CF if installed into Alum or steel.

Tim

You are supposed to use the friction paste Jim mentioned above - it lowers the clamp force needed to keep carbon from slipping - you don't want huge torque on carbon parts (grease would low friction and you'd have to tight more...bad news for carbon). FSA makes the cheapest carbon paste I've seen - $3-6 for 5g of it:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CM407B09-Fsa+Carbon+Seatpost+Installation+Compoun.aspx

FSA Install Compound for Carbon Parts
Features and Information

* Prevents carbon components from slipping
* Tiny little plastic beads floating in gel paste
* Does not harden or dry out
* Little grit stuff so small you almost can't even feel it.

Wonder if you could just use toothpaste instead, it has microabrasives in it plus its minty fresh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom