Rode Mahlon this afternoon.

Stocky

Well sort of , kind of , NOT SO MUCH.

We couldn't pass up the opportunity to at least give it a try.
There were alot of walkers and hikers in the lot but no other cars with bike racks except us.

We did the main lot 50ft up Weldon and dropped into the woods. Initially the trail wasn't so bad because ther had been enough foot traffic to pack the snow down and give a reasonable base to ride on. That quickly ended and even with that little bit of packed snow, any deviation off that very narrow section and you went right into the crusty stuff and it totally sucked ya in and made for a tough time trying to get back into a groove and flow.

We rode for about 40 minutes,without snow that ride is probably 15 minutes . Then my buddy had some major bike issues that were not fixable on the trail, so we made a break for it, hit the campground, I rode back on the road and came back to pick him up .

here's a couple of quick snap shots, it really was a beautiful day reagardless, we were just happy to have gotten out.

I also have to give major thanks to Jeromy at High Gear for turning me onto the Gore Wind Stopper jacket, it's the cat's meow! Possibly the best money spent on anything I've purchased bike related so far.

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Nice try, Stocky! You're a braver man than I...

I just need to walk across my yard to tell that MD would be a tough run. When the snow is so icey (still) that I can drive my Explorer over it without sinking, MD is gonna' be tough.

Stocky

Nice try, Stocky! You're a braver man than I...

I just need to walk across my yard to tell that MD would be a tough run. When the snow is so icey (still) that I can drive my Explorer over it without sinking, MD is gonna' be tough.

You can see in the pix, that my bike is standing on it's own in the crusty ice.
Vreeland told me we should head down to Allaire , but the ride down blows when Mahlon is 8 min away and it obviously takes up the entire day for us to go all the way down there, ride and come back . That doesn't make the wives to happy.

With the expected weather for Tuesday , it's quite possible that Mahlon will not be rideable again until spring. :(

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
You can see in the pix, that my bike is standing on it's own in the crusty ice.
Vreeland told me we should head down to Allaire , but the ride down blows when Mahlon is 8 min away and it obviously takes up the entire day for us to go all the way down there, ride and come back . That doesn't make the wives to happy.

With the expected weather for Tuesday , it's quite possible that Mahlon will not be rideable again until spring. :(

Maybe I should've bought the Nokians this year...

HumanVise

Got a ride in last Saturday right around noon. Conditions were tough but glorious, covered about 6 miles in about 1:03. I can imagine stuff got pretty sloppy by Sunday. I didn't see another set of tire tracks on my route. BTW, Lake shoes rule!

Attachments

• DSC02240b.JPG
    DSC02240b.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 130

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode MD yesterday and saturday morning. Conditions were near perfect minus some ice here and there.

Stocky

I rode MD yesterday and saturday morning. Conditions were near perfect minus some ice here and there.

My usual group rode yesterday morning at 7am. I just didn't wanna go out that early. They said it was great.
Now I'm jealous . I might try for an afternoon ride this week if time permits.

Top Bottom