Getting to Know You...Question #14...

BiknBen

Provide your personal list of TV channels that you simply can not live without. This question was fueled by the other thread about Cablevision dropping channels.

Me? I watch relatively little TV. When I am left to fend for myself for dinner, I eat it in front of the TV. Maybe a few nights per week. During football season I have been known to watch a pro game on Sunday as long as it remains interesting. Same thing with baseball although I'll often cut myself off after a few innings to go to bed.

-ESPN
-ESPN2 (I enjoy the PTI guys weekdays at 6:30)
-ESPN News
-Versus (During the month of July) ;)
-History Channel (I'm a sucker for Modern Marvels and my kids will watch too and we all learn together)

BTW: I only have Basic cable. No movie channels. Way too much money IMO. I do miss nudity and cursing on the TV though. :rolleyes:

Mare

I have a TV for decoration. It is not hooked up to cable, so unless I pop in a DVD, it's static. I watch Gilmore Girls over and over and over again on DVD and can find a quote from that show to fit every darn situation I encounter. I also love Coupling. Other than that, sometimes movies, but I generally can care less about TV.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
- ESPN (I,II, Classic, etc....)
- IFC (Ind. Film Channel; non-pay channel nudity, yay!)
- Military Channel (Weaponology, cool!)
- YES Network (for Yankee games)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
when im at home i will occasionally watch 2, (csi, ncis, numbers mostly at night when its too dark/cold to do anything outside) 5,7, espn(depends on which one has the nascar race that week :) ) and this old house on 13 (only when im home) i dont have cable at home so i only get 2,4,5,7,9,11,13

when im at school you can add comedy central(southpark futurama, colbert report, daily show) cartoon networks adult swim(family guy ), on cbs, how i met your mother, big bang theory, two and a half men, (the list is actually alot longer when im at school since its too cold for me to ride w/o any cold weather gear (and im too broke to buy any))

gtluke

The Moped
Science Channel
Discovery
History
National Geographic
Fox Business News while waking up in the morning

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nothing is must see TV for me.

I watch Scrubs DVDs on the train. At home, if I'm on the trainer, I'll watch History, History International, Discovery, Discovery Times, and National Geographic. There are also some fringe channels in that realm which are somewhat interesting..Military channel maybe. Occasionally I'll check in on ESPN and remember that ESPN sucks.

MST.ESQ

Anything NASCAR - Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Truck Series. In essence, any series without fuel injected engines and where a crew member can refuse to respond to a tv reporter unless he calls him by his nickname "Fatback" is fine by me.

DVR is set to record anything with "NASCAR" in the title or description!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anything NASCAR - Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Truck Series. In essence, any series without fuel injected engines and where a crew member can refuse to respond to a tv reporter unless he calls him by his nickname "Fatback" is fine by me.

nice, i want a copy of your dvr :D

BiknBen

Occasionally I'll check in on ESPN and remember that ESPN sucks.

While I do watch a ton of ESPN I do have my gripes with it as well. I find it revolting that they show card playing, billiards, World's Strongest Man, and bowling on these channels. Now I grew up doing a lot of bowling but still don't think it belongs on a sports channel.

There is a common theme to these shows. They can be covered by ESPN with minimal resources. Basically, they send two guys and a truck to the location. They put a few remote cameras around and one guy with a hand-held. The guy in the truck sends the video back to CT.

I basically just watch it for the sports news not the sports shows. SportsCenter, PTI, Jim Rome, Around the horn are all pretty entertaining. The topics change quickly to keep my ADD impulses from changing the channel.

I went to a live showing of SportsCenter a number of years ago. I had a brush with Kris Mckendry in the stairwell. She is just as hot and taller in person. All those ESPN commercials are shot on their campus so it was cool to recognize the different areas as I walked around.

mwlikesbikes

I think I'm your polar opposite when it comes to motorsports. I'm a Formula One & Indycar geek (I'll keep my nascar opinions to myself to avoid the heap;))
Speed TV on the weekends when they show open wheel racing, sports cars, moto racing (dirt & road)
Versus for cycling & now they're showing indy car this year.
Comedy Central
BBC America For Top Gear, The greatest car show EVER If you are a car guy you need to see this show! Mondays at 8pm & 9pm
History, Discovery, or TLC always have something decent most of the time
I get sucked into those "I love the 70's, 80's, 90's" shows on VH1. There's always The Simpsons too, I never get tired of them.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
scifi for ghosthunters. i never miss it ever
nbc for the office never miss that either
and all the discovery networks.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Between my wife, 2 boys, and the bike, I don't have too much left over time for TV. But when I do, this is what I watch...

Universal Sports
Discovery Channel
Science Channel
Green (Bill Nye rocks!!)
G4 (Ninja Warrior and Unbeatable Banzuke)

-Jim.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I have a TV for decoration. It is not hooked up to cable, so unless I pop in a DVD, it's static.

I'm with you, Mare.
No cable here, I refuse to pay for it and then endlessly police it. If the TV is ever turned on, it's not by my doing. I think my hatred of it started with daytime drama and court TV and idiot talk shows with the dredges of society fighting over incredibly stupid stuff. It was finished off by watching 6 shows at once with a flip happy channel changer who switched just at the crucial moment in a show. Drove me NUTS!!!

Now I work on a cable show and at least half of my staff doesn't even have cable.
Go figure!

Sircrashalot

Science Channel
Discovery
History
National Geographic

The main channels for me....

But if there is racing on, or on the DVR, all else will wait. Superbowl for me = 2 weeks to DAYTONA BABY!!!

scifi for ghosthunters. i never miss it ever
nbc for the office never miss that either
and all the discovery networks.

Ghost Hunters is great stuff...the lighthouse with the shadow figure runnin around is the most impressive clip IMO. GHI not so good...somebody farts and they decide the place is haunted!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
...But if there is racing on, or on the DVR, all else will wait. Superbowl for me = 2 weeks to DAYTONA BABY!!!...

amen to that :D

this site doesnt run a fantasy league does it??????, the forum that im on for my truck does run one so im just asking

MST.ESQ

I think I'm your polar opposite when it comes to motorsports. I'm a Formula One & Indycar geek (I'll keep my nascar opinions to myself to avoid the heap;))

Watch 3 races this year start to finish (if you can stay awake), including the pre-race and post-race on SPEED. The behind the scenes "soap opera" is half the entertainment. I hooked three good friends (and several very liberal NYC co-workers) this way...

Now, to get :topic:, it is a shame that you do not see more MTB on tv anymore. The UCI race recaps and downhill worlds (i.e. the Atherton show)were fun to watch last year.

Top Bottom