Seat mount fenders

I

integra evan

I tried searching but didn't come up with great results that really helped me out. Are seat mounted fenders a good idea or are they just accessories to help the manufacturer to make money? Are there any disadvantages of them?
I love n00b questions.

heythorp

seat mount fenders are used a lot for the road because they are easy on easy off sort of thing. As far as the woods go, I dont have any experience.

Shaggz

A strong 7
T.H.E. makes a fender. I guess it's a matter of whether or not getting muddy bothers you. My *guess* is that while they may prevent mud and dirt from covering you on a sloppy ride, this would accumulate on the inside of the fender, and could add some considerable extra weight to carry along on rides.

I

integra evan

Well then, God made dirt and dirt don't hurt, so I guess I'll just go without a fender as yeah that mud can really accumulate, especially where we went riding the other day.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well then, God made dirt and dirt don't hurt, so I guess I'll just go without a fender as yeah that mud can really accumulate, especially where we went riding the other day.

i rode w/ front and rear fenders for awhile and i never had a mud build up problem. i only got rid of them b/c they were poorly made topeaks. the rear fender was fine, but the front was crap.

ArmyOfNone

i ran a rear fender for a few rides and didnt like it. Did not really make a difference in how muddy or not i became. Mud is good, its part of the fun. Helps keep my apartment clean. :)

I also have been out with 4 guys runnin rear fenders and had them break off during a ride. I think you made the solid choice

heythorp

i rode w/ front and rear fenders for awhile and i never had a mud build up problem. i only got rid of them b/c they were poorly made topeaks. the rear fender was fine, but the front was crap.

Wow you didnt brake them? you know because your a clyde and a formor power lifter and you brake lots of parts?

Ok last time promise, i just could nt resist this morning

D

DANSPANK

I used to use a "crud catcher" that attached to the underside of the down tube that stopped crap being flicked up into my face and eyes. That was prety good but I had to stop using it as my las two bikes had cables running under that tube.

I haven't used a rear fender as I thought it would break in a spill...

NJ Jess

water bottle fender

I used to use a "crud catcher" that attached to the underside of the down tube that stopped crap being flicked up into my face and eyes. That was prety good but I had to stop using it as my las two bikes had cables running under that tube.

I haven't used a rear fender as I thought it would break in a spill...

During the Campmor H2H series races, I would take a 1 liter water bottle and cut it in two. I would then put it on the down tube of the bike with strip ties. It's quick and cheap and helps during races.

I also own mtb fenders, but they are heavy and I prefer to save the trails by not riding them too much when they are very wet. I do use the seat tube fender on my road bike. The behind rider seems to like it,..heeheehheheh

Spylab

My Spy MX goggles were the best impulsive purchase of the season bar none. By the end of a good, muddy ride they are usually doused with mud speckles, and I think, "dang, that stuff used to go into my eyes!" Haven't had any fog problems with them either, surprising with all the uphill grunts some of these trails have...

I

integra evan

Yeah I've been thinking about getting another helmet and then get goggles.

Top Bottom