Thanks Halters!!!!!!!!!

rocknrollgirl

Last night we went up to Halters to have Chris's brakes looked at. We have bled them three times at home and they were still not right. Jason changed out some parts, did the bleed and had us out the door in an hour.

I am glad we made the drive...90 mins.....because I think the problem was out of our scope to fix.

As usual, the trip was worth the effort. We learned a few insider tips about fixing brakes and picked up a few odds and ends and got to talk bikes for a hour!

Another job well done.

Thanks Jason.

Ruth and Chris

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Hey rocknrollgirl, those were my thoughts exactly. Although, after a few years of trusting great working brakes, I find I do not use them as much, nor do I even rest the fingers on them anymore.

Thank you JDog for keeping smiles on NJ bikers!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I expect to see these fully-functioning brakes at Allaire this weekend...:D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Speaking of brakes.

Learn to trust and use the front brake more and more.

If you use a front it sort of compresses the bike vs dragging it to a stop.

Try using just the front or mostly the front as you go through the corners. When you release the brake you should notice that you have not zapped all of your momentum.

Something like 80% of your braking power comes from the front wheel.

What is really neat on a 29er is that since it is much harder to endo a bigger wheeled bike, you can really learn to use the front brake as much as you should.

For me I really caught on to this after riding my buddies race ready ATV. I figured out in a hurry that the rear brake did almost nothing while the front was amazing. Now when I ride atv's I barely use the rear brake.

THATmanMANNY

Speaking of brakes.

Learn to trust and use the front brake more and more.

If you use a front it sort of compresses the bike vs dragging it to a stop.

Try using just the front or mostly the front as you go through the corners. When you release the brake you should notice that you have not zapped all of your momentum.

Something like 80% of your braking power comes from the front wheel.

What is really neat on a 29er is that since it is much harder to endo a bigger wheeled bike, you can really learn to use the front brake as much as you should.

For me I really caught on to this after riding my buddies race ready ATV. I figured out in a hurry that the rear brake did almost nothing while the front was amazing. Now when I ride atv's I barely use the rear brake.

:confused: I think the front kills more of your momentum, no? Since it does provide more stopping power of the two. It may be how the front is used. Like a tap on the front = holding down the rear for a couple seconds to get the same momentum killer. Or are you referring to the sensation when you let go the front brake and the bike decompresses and it feels like you are springing forward again? Well you have decades of riding over me so I may just sound like an ass :D

ItsWin

I know this is environmentally incorrect (and for the record I don't do this anymore, knowing this), but if you're going all-out on hardpack, nothing speeds you around a corner like brakesliding with the rear brake, a really subtle technique that I never fully mastered. Done right, it's fast and feels sweet. Done wrong, it scrubs off speed. I know most of you more experienced old-school riders know exactly what I'm talking about.

THATmanMANNY

i've been looking at some old skool mtb pics and i see them sliding through turns like that and tearing up the terrain. Those guys gave us young'un mtb'ers a bad rep :p

dhsean

BRAKE Rules

Few simple rules to braking without loosing speed.

1. Brake hard and fast where there is traction. Squish the bike down to the ground to get more traction. Wedge your feet in-between the pedals. Don't drag the brakes.
2. Brake when going straight before the corner entrance. Release the brake as you enter the corner. Get all your braking done before you corner.
3. Don't drag your brakes around the corner. If you slowed down enough you should flow around the corner carrying speed.
4. Front brake is for stopping - rear brake is for adjusting direction around the corner if you didn't slow down enough.

BONUS from Shaums March himself. You have to slow down enough to flow around the corner. Smoother is not as exciting but when it comes to the clock it is faster.

BLEEDING BRAKES is for skilled magic bike mechanics only who dabble with sorcery and black magic. Often some sort of sacrifice is necessary for a perfect bleed. :D

ellbiddy

I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but +1 on the halters props, just got my bike back with a new headset and uppers for my fork. The price was right and the guys were awesome. I need to unlazify myself to get my DH bike in there for them to smooth out. As much as I love tinkering on my own stuff, I can't but stop and notice how awesome they are there. Once my paycheck clears I'll be back for more goodies that's for sure :D

The Kalmyk

I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but +1 on the halters props, just got my bike back with a new headset and uppers for my fork.:D

This is Proof that Rock Shox has an awesome warranty program...Brand new upper:cool:...Rock Shox is waaayyyy easier to service than Fox

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This is Proof that Rock Shox has an awesome warranty program...Brand new upper:cool:...Rock Shox is waaayyyy easier to service than Fox

SRAM seems to think that their stuff should be easy to service and work really well. Simple can be good.

In the case of Leo's fork, the upper crown had a creek in it that SRAM knew was an issue. They covered him with a new crown.

Keep in mind that he was NOT the original owner. It wasn't an issue. They just wanted to make it right.

btw.. His upper tubes were pretty badly corroded. They needed replacement any way. This for should have been taken apart a long time ago.

Lucky Guy.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
:confused: I think the front kills more of your momentum, no? Since it does provide more stopping power of the two. It may be how the front is used. Like a tap on the front = holding down the rear for a couple seconds to get the same momentum killer. Or are you referring to the sensation when you let go the front brake and the bike decompresses and it feels like you are springing forward again? Well you have decades of riding over me so I may just sound like an ass :D

feather 'em manny, nice and easy. Front brake is where it is at.

ellbiddy

SRAM seems to think that their stuff should be easy to service and work really well. Simple can be good.

In the case of Leo's fork, the upper crown had a creek in it that SRAM knew was an issue. They covered him with a new crown.

Keep in mind that he was NOT the original owner. It wasn't an issue. They just wanted to make it right.

btw.. His upper tubes were pretty badly corroded. They needed replacement any way. This for should have been taken apart a long time ago.

Lucky Guy.

grouphug.bmp

Now I can finally love it as my own after giving it some proper attention

Top Bottom