How awesome is New Jersey????

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1. How long is the riding season? Do you guys do it year round?

all Year long, I would check the winter gear thread to get an idea about what to expect.

2. What is the bike of choice in these parts? XC/Trail/All Mountain etc.

You see everything from rigid SS to all mountain bikes. There is a huge variety of terrain in NJ.

3. What is the nearest suburb to Manville for a family with two kids?

Bridgewater, Hillsborough, Somerset... There is also a huge variety of areas.. from ghetto.. and five miles away there are multimillion dollar houses.. all close to manville..

4. What is the closest trail to Manville and the answer to #3?
Chimney rock, six mile, sourlands,

5. What is the best LBS near Manville?

Id agree with halters

6. What is the best resource for trail desctiptions and directions to trailheads, preferably adresses or coordinates for my Tomtom?

see the trail directory.. all you need...

7. Baggies or spandex?

doesnt matter

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a fake ID for 18 from US1 Flea Market when I was 15 so I could get into Franks....GREAT soda!

On a totally separate note....my wife teaches in Hillsborough. Nice town, HUGE...also growing...has some of everything, including a lot of homes with larger lots if that's what you want, a great school system, very close to 6 mile run & Manville....

i'm actually glad this thread came up. the wife has been looking at houses in that area. well, one in particular. and it's close to six mile (and halters) which i really like. we'll see. i'll know how next year is going to pan out in about two weeks.

BiknBen

...and it's close to six mile (and halters) which i really like.

Have you actually been to Halter's yet. All I read are lame excuses for you not getting there. C'mon, bring the kids. That's what I did. They practically grew up at Halter's. ;)

ArmyOfNone

i'm actually glad this thread came up. the wife has been looking at houses in that area. well, one in particular. and it's close to six mile (and halters) which i really like. we'll see. i'll know how next year is going to pan out in about two weeks.

Sweet! the south jersey riding crew will grow stronger!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you actually been to Halter's yet. All I read are lame excuses for you not getting there. C'mon, bring the kids. That's what I did. They practically grew up at Halter's. ;)

actually, ben, for your information :)D) i have been to halters. i bought fred's bike there. and i am planning on bringing the kids...that's the only way i'll get to go!

Sweet! the south jersey riding crew will grow stronger!

larger (heavier) maybe. stronger is debatable.

antgold

How awesome is New Jersey? New Jersey is the mutha-blinginest-mac-daddy-friggin' state ever created!! Nuff said bee-otch!!

-Jim.

:confused::confused:

NJ has many people like me who are not master in the local slang... :cry:
is it English ?!

BTW - still need to check "Jim loop" in Hartshorn ... last time I've been there is was all cover with snow - too awesome to push myself that day ...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
NJ has many people like me who are not master in the local slang... :cry:
is it English ?!

Sorry son (FYI: son is like man or dude. EX: "Sorry man"), I live a block away from Plainfield and needed to learn the native lingo to survive on my road rides. It's also one of the reasons I got fast:rofl:

-Jim.

VanDbtRiver

Sorry son (FYI: son is like man or dude. EX: "Sorry man"), I live a block away from Plainfield and needed to learn the native lingo to survive on my road rides. It's also one of the reasons I got fast:rofl:

-Jim.

"esse" or "vato" are the key components of my slang arsenal

antgold

-Jim.

thanks for the explanation son!:cool:

idbrian

Crotch Rot
You people would honestly say the season is all year here? I'd say that is pushing it. Early spring is taboo to be riding on the trails. And in the winter while you can ride, it is pretty painful. I gave up on trying to winter ride, just too much work.

I mean technically you can water ski during the winter, and you can snowboard down sand dunes during the summer but i would call that the right season.

Being from Maine your threshold for cold may be pretty good. But if someone curious to moving here asked me the question i would say that while you can ride all year long the season is typically March through November.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I'd have to disagree. I hate the cold weather as much (if not more) than anybody, yet even living up North I've been riding 2-3X per week. Visiting places where there's good crisp hardpack like Sprain Ridge or Chimney Rock and traveling a bit down to Hartshorne & Allaire once in while is all part of the love of the sport.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Nah, it's only year round if you're hardcore.
'Us people' will find the right place or accommodations to ride in any weather and there are a bunch of 'us people' around.

JoeC sounds like he'd fit the profile.;)

Dealing with the cold... you just get used to it.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
No doubt you guys are more hardcore than i am about it.

But i still wouldn't say it is a year round mtb season. I would especially not say that to someone from Texas. I would say you can ride all year long, but it gets to the 20's and 30's in the winter, so it depends on your tolerance with cold.

No practice has ever helped me get comfortable to being cold and i lived in one of the coldest areas of the US.

I don't want to really start anything i just wanted to clarify for the original poster. When i ask about riding in areas i'm interested in moving to i really like to hear the good and bad. I wouldn't want the scene to be sugar coated.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
We had a group ride 2 sats ago at 6 mile. it was 8 degrees. We had 12 people.

Top Bottom