How's the winter going for the ladies?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
The girls have been quiet lately. I hope the boys didn't scare you off.

So, have you been riding? ... indoors or out? .... doing winter sports or taking a break? Anyone (females only) care to chime in and tell us what you have been up to. Winter is about half over, so spring is coming sooner than later. Your stories may help motivate a few other women.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I'll start: ..... I have been doing some riding, mostly Allaire, Ringwood with studs and road ss and geared, some strength training, and a few days on XC skis as well. I went to Hunter last Friday for my first alpine ski in five years. It was a tad boring for me. I may stick to bikes for now. If the weather stays close to or above 30, I am gearing up for some hilly road riding soon, which will hurt to start, but is always better with some friends.

Mare

I have been getting out about 3 times a week, mostly to Allaire. Hartshorne or Clayton every now and then, but as I type this, I realize more it's all about Allaire these days! They been long rides, but I am dreading the first real climb I hit (this weekend if conditions allow).

I hike on the days I don't bike and I am spending an awful lot of time laying around and relaxing. I wish I discovered relaxation years ago because it feels sooooo good to do nothing!!

The clocks will be changing shortly, right? Looking on the bright side. :)

rocknrollgirl

Hi All,
I have been riding a few days a week, with Mare, Sherry and my hubby, mostly Allaire since it seems to be the most rideable at the moment. I have also been running and swimming and doing strength training. Making tons of soup, drinking wine, reading books and lounging about. :)

Balance is good.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Hey all,
Great Idea for a thread Pixy!

During the cyclocross season I developed a "patella tracking" problem and I was physically burned out from riding/racing in general. The last cyclocross race was at Phillipsburg, NJ the second week of December. The patella tracking is more of a discomfort now. I haven't been on the mountain bike since the last race of NY State MTB series which was sometime in October. For now the mountain bikes are on the shelf until possibly March. I do all training on the road bikes. Last year I just rode my MTB bikes and when it came to racing I sucked! This year I need to get base fitness by doing specific training and logging road miles. I do miss riding off road ... :cry: Maybe Tommy and I will do a few rides at Allaire :D

RC ... :)

Last edited:

NJ Jess

I'm thinking,...

about biking, but haven't done any since that November. I'm still working at the Meadowlands which is very windy, which makes it even more cold. On the weekends,...I just don't want to go outside. I've gone to the gym and swim a bit. I just did a spin class which killed me. I'm looking forward to spring.

S

Shar0se

biking = great skiing!

Good thread idea-- I have to admit that aside from the occasional mtn ride or spin class I've put the wheels aside for my skis!! During the winter months if I have any free time I'm hitting the slopes.

Props to the cross training aspect of biking - my legs are stronger then they have ever been going into a ski season and I attribute it directly to biking since I rode more this past spring/summer/fall then I ever have before. :)

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Hellloooo Jess!!!!!
We miss you!

Today was my first ride after 2 1/2 weeks off the bike.

I'm feeling the time off more than I think I should. My inclination is to work harder to get back to where I was at summer peak and to get there by the end of Feb. Not gonna happen. Sigh.

New plan: to keep myself injury free and ride the road to keep fitness from slipping further. Then head back into the woods when the ice is gone and my shoulders are capable of handling the next big hit.

rockstar

girls on bikes rule :D; boys on bikes........

'best thread in the whole forum'​
been riding CR and Alliare...trying hard to keep the skills and learn more...enjoying every minute...:D

My kids say I am a much happier mommy after I ride:hmmm:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Good thread idea-- I have to admit that aside from the occasional mtn ride or spin class I've put the wheels aside for my skis!! During the winter months if I have any free time I'm hitting the slopes.

Props to the cross training aspect of biking - my legs are stronger then they have ever been going into a ski season and I attribute it directly to biking since I rode more this past spring/summer/fall then I ever have before. :)

Awesome to hear! It is always good to mix it up, and biking seems to be good for many other things. I originally tried biking to strengthen my legs for skiing after a lay off from back surgery. I just got hooked from there.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Hellloooo Jess!!!!!
We miss you!

Today was my first ride after 2 1/2 weeks off the bike.

I'm feeling the time off more than I think I should. My inclination is to work harder to get back to where I was at summer peak and to get there by the end of Feb. Not gonna happen. Sigh.

New plan: to keep myself injury free and ride the road to keep fitness from slipping further. Then head back into the woods when the ice is gone and my shoulders are capable of handling the next big hit.

Good idea not to take too much risk. Road riding can help wonders in times of injury. Just be super careful about ice on the roads. Not sure of your schedule, but I have a B*/B in the masterlink for Feb 8, thanks to your idea about posting as a leader to give myself a incentive to go out in the cold, knowing that others are depending on me.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Not sure of your schedule, but I have a B*/B in the masterlink for Feb 8, thanks to your idea about posting as a leader to give myself a incentive to go out in the cold, knowing that others are depending on me.

Excellent, Pixy!

I'll be there.
It may be the only chance I'll ever get to keep up with Art!:rofl:

Oh, and you're always welcome to jump in on one of mine too. But RSVP first, we do alter the time, route or meeting place based on rider ability.

Last edited:

Eileen

about biking, but haven't done any since that November.

During the winter months if I have any free time I'm hitting the slopes.

Glad I'm not the only one not riding. I've been doing a lot of snowboarding!!! My bike hasn't seen the light of day since Thanksgiving weekend :eek: I've also been doing some strength training. I'm looking forward to riding again, but I have to enjoy the snow while it's here :cool:

Kmoodymz3

I was doing really well, gym 1-2x/week for strength training and riding the trainer at night 1-2x/ week and getting out to Allaire on weekends. I managed not to gain any weight over the holidays which was my goal.

Unfortunately, Friday my hubby and I wanted to go out an enjoy the warmish weather and he decided he wanted to do a spin aroung Huber. Conditions were slick due to wet leaves on top of mostly frozen ground. Apparently his tires were not doing well and we were just about to head home when his bike went out from under him and he landed on his hip on a BIG tree root. Long story short, fractured femoral neck, emergency surgery, 3 big screws, no riding for months and months, praying it heals properly and he won't need hip replacement. John is home from hospital now but recovery will be long.

I will continue to ride and hopefully will get to ride with some of you at Allaire or Hartshorne, but we won't be doing the Cohutta 100 in April. I can't subject him to watching me train, then watching me race. That is just not fair. He is depressed enough as it is.

Plan is to just stay in shape now and see how it goes. Maybe this will be a year for some H2H races for me.

rocknrollgirl

Karen, I am so sorry. I will sending him speedy healing thoughts. Are you ok? Do you need anything????? Being the care taker can be very stressful. Yell if you need to vent.

Ruth

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Karen,
That's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear.
My brother in law did something similar last year. I feel for you both and I certainly hope it heals well and quick.

I know a little about the depression. It's tough going over it again with the if-onlys and should-haves and seeing the events you were looking forward to become impossibilities.

Give him time and extra love and he might just need you to get out there so he can live vicariously. I would recommend supplementing with a D and Glucosamine and a list of other things you might want to check out. I really think they've played a big part in my recovery, albeit I didn't break anything.

PM me if you'd like.

All the best!

Mare

Apparently his tires were not doing well and we were just about to head home when his bike went out from under him and he landed on his hip on a BIG tree root. Long story short, fractured femoral neck, emergency surgery, 3 big screws, no riding for months and months, praying it heals properly and he won't need hip replacement. John is home from hospital now but recovery will be long.

That is awful! So sorry to hear, and of all the places, right? Ugh! I'm wishing John a speedy recovery and both of you well through this.

MVMX

Karen/John,

I'm so sorry to here about this accident. John is very fit and that will accelerate his recovery, get well soon!

Keep us updated on John's progress. I look forward to riding with both of you again soon.

Marty

Top Bottom