Winter Cooking Thread

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Make anything good lately?

I don't cook all that much, but mr pixy put in a request for pulled pork. With super bowl near, I can easily find boston butt, and made it last weekend. It is very easy.

Pre heat oven to 325. Cover meat in southern dry-rub (brown sugar, salt paprika). Brown meat on all sides in oiled pot under high heat. Cover and place in oven for 3-3.5 hours until it shreds apart easily. Add bar-b-q sauce.

Post some of your favorites. .....

rocknrollgirl

I love to cook and in the winter, I am the soup queen. I usually make 2 pots of soup per week. They are all relatively easy to make and healthy. I would be happy to post recipes if anyone is interested.

White Bean and Potato
Ribolitta ( sorta like a minestrone)
A version of Italian Wedding
Heartland Chicken and Veg ( taste like it could be pot pie filling)
Maryland Crab Chowder

Let me know if you want any recipes

Shaggz

A strong 7
Make anything good lately?

I don't cook all that much, but mr pixy put in a request for pulled pork. With super bowl near, I can easily find boston butt, and made it last weekend. It is very easy.

Pre heat oven to 325. Cover meat in southern dry-rub (brown sugar, salt paprika). Brown meat on all sides in oiled pot under high heat. Cover and place in oven for 3-3.5 hours until it shreds apart easily. Add bar-b-q sauce.

Post some of your favorites. .....
Use a little liquid smoke to get a more enhanced BBQ flavor.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Made a big batch of "mexican" black bean soup this past weekend, along with a rack of ribs in the slow cooker. I just finished the last bowl of soup tonight :drooling:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Shaggz, tell me more about the rack in the slow cooker. I tend to use mine in spurts, then forget about it for months. Ribs would be a guaranteed winner with my son. Nice idea to add liquid smoke.

Pixy, my sis-in-law made chicken legs and thighs in the slow-cooker and overcooked them by mistake. When the meat fell off the bone, she drained the fat, removed the bones and skin and added a bottle of BBQ sauce. Voila!! Pulled chicken. It's become a family fav!!

rocknrollgirl, I'd like the chicken and veg soup recipe. My daughter loves soup! And funny you should mention, I'll make pot pies using roll out dough and leftover home-made soup. Just boil the soup down a bit, add some frozen peas and carrots, maybe a tbs of flour to thicken. Pour the warm soup into the shells and bake until the crust is ready. Nobody ever turns that one down! Individual size or in a regular 9" shell both work well.

I just tried this recipe the other night:
http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenbreastrecipes/r/parmesanchicken.htm
It was really good. Leftovers made nice sandwiches for lunch too.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I recently got a cook book from Horizons Restaurant in Philly, which is a totally vegetarian (i think vegan). If you have ever eaten there, it is probably the best vegetarian food around. I know most of you wouldn't be into the recipes but the couple I have made are killer and pretty easy. I can post some up if anyone cares. The simple marinade for tofu was the best i have ever had.

trener1

I love soup in the winter.
I recently made a Spanish Garlic soup, it was spicy, yummy and perfect for cold winter nights.
Got it out of a Spanish cook book that I bought after I got back from Spain.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Made a big batch of "mexican" black bean soup ...:

let me be the judge ;)

winter cooking....:hmmm:...we cook all year, well my wife does :D

For example, I just had some CHICKEN PIBIL tacos with cheese :drooling: Great for my gain weight diet...wait a minute, i'm supposed to lose weight :rolleyes:

Cochinita Pibil (also puerco pibil) is a traditional Mexican slow-roasted pork dish from Yucatán. Preparation of traditional cochinita or puerco pibil involves marinating the meat in strongly acidic citrus juice, coloring it with annatto seed, and roasting the meat while it is wrapped in banana leaf.

wife prefers to do it with chicken & skip the banana leaf :(

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
the other night i felt like having fish(as in always, lol). so i went to the store and got some nice talapia filets. crushed up some fresh garlic and spread it on the filets add a few pieces of butter on top and some lemon juice and drop it in the oven at 350 for 10-15 mins till just about cooked. take it out of the oven and put a dash of breadcrumbs on top and a little bit of parmesian cheese and a lil black pepper and put it back in the oven and BROIL it for about 2 minutes just enough to brown the edges a bit. i sauteed some fresh mushrooms with a little canola oil and a tiny bit of butter and top the fish with em. delicious and healthy!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Sandie: Ribs are ridiculously easy. 1 rack of St. Louis or Baby Back ribs. Rub with yellow mustard and coat with dry rub of choice (up to 24 hrs before).

cut ribs to fit into cooker (usually 3 pieces). mix 3/4 cup of H20, 3/4 of bbq sauce, liq. smoke, pour over ribs and cook on low 4-5 hours, when bone pulls easily separates from the meat. My cooker seems to run on the hotter side, so your cook time may take longer.

Place ribs aside. Separate fat from liquid and reduce the liquid in a sauce pan. cover ribs with sauce, broil until glaze becomes slightly crispy. eat.

El Z: That's why I wrote "Mexican" ;)

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Last night I prepared seared sea scallops over a mango peach salsa, rissotto, spinach, bottle of wine, 2 percocet - life is good.

Mare

I am a baking fool. I have been making wheat bread (YUM!), carrot cake with the typical cream cheese icing, banana bread, and cookies.

Then I cook up a ton of veggies and have them in the fridge to counteract the guilt of the baked goods.

lou_b_83

Am I the only one still cooking on the grill?? I am making BBQ chicken and pork chops tonight. I only cook on the grill. If it is inside my wife cooks:D.

Does anyone have a good chicken orzo soup recipe? I want to make some.

My favored is T-bone steak marinaded in Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke for 24 hours. Cook over hard wood (Not charcoal). And salt and pepper.

jimjo

That's what she said :rofl:

Seriously, HW is the only way to go when it comes to stuff like that. Charcoal can not reach the temps to get the perfect sear.

I like to use a mix of hardwood and charcoal Hardwood= real hot real fast
charcoal will maintain a consistant temp longer... i like to get real thick cuts of meat so the mix allows me to sear then cook the middle just right ..... RARE!!!

Top Bottom