Belgian beers. assphynctersayswhat?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
in my experience, belgian beers are hit and miss. some are great, some are good, some are blah, some are bleh, some are disgusting, and some are just fucking wierd. many are good, and flavors seem to range from wet dog, to fruitcake, to dirt, on purpose. in the interest of enhancing the belgian beer shopping and consuming experience, list the belgian beers you coherently remember trying and their qualities or lack there-of:

all opinions are highly opnionated and based entirely on opinion.

*Urthel Samaranth. a belgian quad that tasted like cream soda and went down waaaay too fast. good beer for getting drunk in 20 minutes or less. 12%

*Delirium Tremens. cool label. good beer.

*Delerium Nocturnum. cool label. mediocre beer.

*La Fin Du Monde. good enough. nothing spectacular

*Monk's Mistress by Midnight Sun Brewing Co. drinkable, 11.5%. nothing spectacular, but good and worth the purchase.

i've drank others, but don't remember them quite so vividly...:hmmm:

Last edited:

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
now i'm thirsty

belgium: waffles

stella artois na (non-alcoholic), i really thought stella artois was italian beer

last year stella artois was the top high profile beer

this year "Ommegang" seems to have taken over. be that as it may, i let my baseball hall of fame membership expire, and i lost my sunglases in lake ostego

do you folks do any cycling near cooperstown

cooperstown, more of the leather stocking region but today i came accross this western ny mtb website

But unlike a new front fork or a replacement derailleur, you can't just run down to the your local bike shop and pick up a new stretch of singletrack.

http://www.wnymba.org/portal.php

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Hey Sean- it's Delirium Tremens, for the record. ;) And yeah, it's good.

La Fin du Monde and all the other Unibroue beers are brewed in Canada, although their Belgian cred is intact since their head brewer is the former brewer for Chimay. I like most of their beers- Maudite, Don de Dieu, Trois Pistoles. Not so fond of anything they brew that has to do with fruit. And their annual anniversary brew is basically beer champagne.

Stella Artois is Belgian Budweiser- cheap, mass produced and lowest common denominator. It's a joke that they market it as some sort of high-end beer here in America.

I recall liking one Ommegang beer, but disliking the two others. Since I don't recall which was which, this sentence is now worthless.

I remember ordering a Flemish farmhouse ale at Spuyten Duyvil that was one of the worst beers I've ever consumed. Again, couldn't tell you which it was.

Brooklyn Local #1 is a Belgian-style trippel, and I was impressed. My expectations were rather low since most American breweries destroy Belgians when they try, but Brooklyn did a good job with theirs.

My favorite Belgian used to be Grimbergen Dubbel, but that was years ago in the mid 90's when they had it on tap at my favorite beer-snob dive bar. Apparently the Grimbergen brewery was sold and the quality took a nosedive, so the bar stopped carrying the beer.

The Chimays are alright for me. I wouldn't choose them if there are other good choices on the menu, but in a pinch I'll order one.

I much prefer dubbels over trippels or quads.

syadasti

Wet Rag
Stella Artois is Belgian Budweiser- cheap, mass produced and lowest common denominator. It's a joke that they market it as some sort of high-end beer here in America.

Yeah that beer has as much appeal as a Walmart bike. InBev owns Bud now too :rofl:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Corsendonk Brown- good, not great.

Careful with the smaller label Framboises, too- they're not all sweet like Lindemans.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
A lot of my favorite stuff...

Stuff I've had:

Ommegang: I've been a fan for a while. The Rare Vos (an amber ale) is my favorite, but I think they do well with any style they attempt. I tend to pimp their beers to my friends.

Duvel: Classic Belgian golden ale. Yum.

Grimbergen: I've only had the Blonde. I liked it.

Leffe: Another Blonde ale that I keep around pretty regularly. I prefer it to the Grimbergen.

Chimay: I prefer the Premiere, which is the burgandy label, but all three are good for me, particularly with the right food.

De Koninck: An interesting and unique ale; the only style this brewery produces.

Unibroue: I've had the Maudite, didn't dig it so much, but I agree that this brewery has pretty solid cred. I'll try their stuff again at some point.

Corsendonk: They do a pale ale, and a brown, which I prefer.

Affligem: My experience with this one hasn't thrilled me. Heavy funk factor, which seems to be the downfall of Belgie brews when things go wrong.

dhsean

Great Info!

*Urthel Samaranth. a belgian quad that tasted like cream soda and went down waaaay too fast. good beer for getting drunk in 20 minutes or less. 12%
SOUNDS AWESOME!

BUT STEVE PEAT DRINKS IT SO IT MUST BE GOOD.

Ommegang: I've been a fan for a while. The Rare Vos (an amber ale) is my favorite, but I think they do well with any style they attempt. I tend to pimp their beers to my friends.
WHERE"S MINE? :D

mwlikesbikes

River Horse Brewing

Just had some of their Tripel Horse belgian style ale. 10% abv Didn't blow me away, but drinkable and good. It's actually a bit on the sweet side with a hint of a vanilla type taste to it.

ArmyOfNone

I have something to say in reference to this matte r but becuase I have been sippin on some sizzurp for a wihile now I cant quite contribute as i would like. Ill ceck back in on this later.

Part of sizzurp for today included brooklng local 1. much like duvel wich is good!@

ArmyOfNone

So good fun at work and an extra bit of nerergy had me wanting an ocld one.

SO out the fridge comes FLOREFFE a delicous belgian dark ale that has a slight hing of spice and citursj notes. Now I can type with one i oepn...NItE!@

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Tried a Leffe last night.

It was pretty consistent.
It smelled bitter, tasted bitter and the aftertaste was bitter. I thought oak sap might have a similar flavor. Good if you like that sort of thing. Beyond that, I've not much to say. I'll leave the rest of them for Chris.

It did make me think fondly on the fun of Holy Grail Ale- which I need to try again, though that might be too sweet. Anybody else try the HGA?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Okay, First impressions are not always the best.
I invited Leffe Blonde out for another try.
This time it was significantly more palatable. Is this a brew that has to grow on you? 'Cause it certainly has. Last time I had poured it into a glass, today, straight from the bottle. Bottle = better... go figure.

Top Bottom