iBike Power Meter

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
i had one
the 1st gen not bad for training but the calibration doesn't translate well to other units

it was always consistent with in its self
i would get similar read outs on the same rides but something tells me that my avg watts on 40 mile ride is not 480

if you are training on it using the read out for zone work out it will do as long as you always use that one and not try to compare it to another meter

so the short answer is it is good for training and great for bragging 480 avg with a 2100 max looks great on a read out

one of my guys has the newer one the black one its calibration is better there are more test to calibrate it

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If you buy an Ibike I'll kick you in the nuts the next time I see you:D

PowerTrap is the only way to fly. Trek is blowing out the RXL Aero P/T rear wheel like I have on my bike. They're normally $2,000. Now they're down to something like $850. It's crazy, that's less than what I paid EP for mine when I bought it!! They also do a normal hub that's still wireless but not carbon and you can lace it to whatever kind of rim you want...Son...

-Jim.

ArmyOfNone

If you buy an Ibike I'll kick you in the nuts the next time I see you:D

PowerTrap is the only way to fly. Trek is blowing out the RXL Aero P/T rear wheel like I have on my bike. They're normally $2,000. Now they're down to something like $850. It's crazy, that's less than what I paid EP for mine when I bought it!! They also do a normal hub that's still wireless but not carbon and you can lace it to whatever kind of rim you want...Son...

-Jim.

:drooling: im done with major bike purchases for a lil bit after this year. unless i rob a bank....:hmmm:

Steve Vai

Hmmm....

I was thinking about hitting up some old-age homes and becoming a "boy-toy" for some of the ladies. Find me a suger-granny. Get her to hit me up with her inheritance. EC90 wheels don't pay for themselves you know;)

-Jim.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yeah, I was moving toward a PT as we moved into this winter, but the funds had to go to more immediate concerns. But I expect to have one by the time 2009 is over.

Steve Vai

I would highly recommend one, it's a great training tool. They have a new line-up for '09 with 4 wireless hubs, 2 under mine, 1 above. The PowerTap Elite+ is the base wireless system...It's a G...You can get deals on closeout wheels, or from guys selling them for new ones or whatever. I sold my old wired wheelset for $600 with a matching Dura-Ace front wheel, too bad no one was into power then, someone would've gotten a sick deal!!

http://www.saris.com/p-363-powertap-elite.aspx

I would at some point really like to get one for the MTB, for me it's more of a weight issue, 29ers are a little porky to begin with so I don't need to add to that.

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would at some point really like to get one for the MTB, for me it's more of a weight issue, 29ers are a little porky to begin with so I don't need to add to that.

You need a training bike and a race bike. And a PT for the trainer bike.

And here I thought you were serious about all this. :rolleyes:

Fred - I was really into the power forums maybe 2 years ago when I was seriously considering one. Now, leaving aside the fact that at that point it would have been like giving a monkey a laptop, everything I read suggested you not waste your money on the iBike. Since then there have been various attempts to "shock the market" with new and innovative PMs. But they never pan out. It seems like every year at Interbike there's a new PM, and it fades into the sunset in very short time.

BiknBen

The iBike PM made some waves in its early days. Enough to make it a cheap option for someone not willing to spend a grand plus on another system. Reviews were always mixed. There seemed to be many more Cons than Pros.

I'd compare it to trying to measure the distance of your ride using a street map and a ruler. Sure...it can be done...but it is so inaccurate and variable that it is nearly useless.

While I was once a data freak, I now prefer to ride more and analyze data results less.

ArmyOfNone

Im really in no rush to get one. I have been very loosely working within some sort of training "structure." I think in the future I may look to something to make my training to the next level. Who knows. Or I could just ride my bike.

Top Bottom