my public statement, cuatro menos uno

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
got out today for a few hours of snowboarding at camel back. was one of the first people up so i managed to get some "good" snow. put in close to 15 runs before calling it quits as the madness of a holiday started to take over. as a general rule, as soon as i start seeing people with team jackets on, aka giants, jets, eagles, etc. i try to leave. it turned out to be a really good idea. so, while i didn't attempt any 3's i also didn't get hurt so that's a good thing. no clue what the trails are like but i may visit LM at some point tomorrow if time allows.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
today was my first mt. bike ride in almost a month. yikes. ventured out this morning to LM and ran into none other than mr. clif bar himself, norm. i was privvy to being part of, at least for a little while, a round of the loser's bracket in the great clif bar showdown.

it was great to get out and the conditions were maurice's wish come true: LM paved! :D

all in all a good ride and a hair under ten miles in about a hour of saddle time. i was gonna cruise but with norm, there's really none of that...even though he was probably just loafing around.

either way, good winter fun.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the thought of getting on a trainer this morning in the cold garage was more than my tired self could bear. so i decided to give the wife's new treadmill a(nother) shot (now that it's fixed, two weeks later after i broke it in under 35 minutes...but that's another story) and run a bit. i have to admit, it was one of the first times that i actually enjoyed being on a treadmill. as much as i hate to admit it, i'm probably going to be switching back and forth between the trainer and the tread for the next few months. i may even do "two a days", getting on the tread in the am and riding in the afternoon. i mean, why not?

all that to say i don't think it's going to be a big deal if i'm on a treadmill now and then. a couple years ago i would have argued differently since i was really trying to build base fitness on a bike and as we all know, the best way to get faster on a bike is to: yes, ride a bike more. and since i'm not a racer and i just want to keep my level of fitness up to the level that it is now, who cares.

oh crap, i forgot to start a new blog!

ArmyOfNone

No doubt running is going to help maintain/build your fitness. Good thing for you that you can stand the tourture of running.

As for me Id rather:
0314dance8.jpg

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
last year i stole from the naked gun. this year, mexico (which is ironic since i was personally named in a lawsuit filed by our sister agency in mexico city during my big time ad agency days 10 years ago). who knows what 2010 will bring!

so, for those of you who haven't been playing along at home for the last few years, this is the time of year when i introduce my goals for the coming year (and myself to a degree) to the public at large with "my public statement". i'm a bit late but whatever.

a bit of background on why this whole thing started: it was intended to be a training blog where i would track my progress on a challenge i issued to a member here a couple years back which was to "rip his legs off on the needle climb" (@ KVSP). on a single speed. well, that never happened. neither me ripping his legs off nor even a head to head race. what did happen was a lot of back and forth between various parties here at the time and a lot of dedication on my part to mold myself into more of a cyclist. at that point i was every bit of 230 lbs. (down from 250 when i first got back on a bike) and still a fairly dedicated gym rat and recovering power lifter. turns out 5'9"(ish) slavic guys are pretty well suited for that stuff. cases in point: Mariusz Pudzianowski & Sebastian Wenta. google these cats and you'll see what i'm talking about. as a side note, if you've never watched the "world’s strongest man" competition you are doing yourself a great disservice. but i digress...

so, what's on tap for this year? well, this year will be no different except i'm not going to lay out lofty goals of riding thousands of miles or riding in some random number of races. this year there are only two goals:

(1) have fun riding
(2) ride more than last year

that's it.

i've found that if you can stick to the first one, the second one will naturally follow. maybe i'll do a race, maybe i won't. maybe i'll run gears this year, maybe i won't. it all depends on what i have time to do and what i feel like doing. i'm not a real race guy so who cares. i'm a guy who's name is pink for no reason other than steve thought it was funny. i'm strong like a bull, smart like a tractor (again, because steve thought this was funny). i'm a guy who rides a bike when he can. in short, i'm like most of you which makes this blog both incredibly relevant and interesting to some, and incredibly boring and useless to others. but it's my bandwidth, i'll waste it if i want to! :D

so there you have it, 2009 in a nutshell. welcome to the greatest show on the interweb.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have no idea what i just did but now the damn part deux is gone! WTF!

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i hopped on the treadmill again this am for another round of fun. again, to recap:

treadmill: inside, warm, tv to help distract boredom of being on a hamster wheel.
trainer: garage, cold, no distractions to chase away boredom of being on hampster wheel.

pretty obvious which one i'm choosing. hey, at least i'm doing something and who knows, maybe all this running will lead to a career as a triathlete!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
those two goals rock. it sounds like you are taking the 'soul surfer' approach. i'm on board - looking forward to seeing how things go.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I hate treadmills. I did run xc in high school and am thinking about doing some trail running for winter cross training. Out of the two options, I would go for the cold garage. I can't get the temp low enough in my house when I'm on the trainer, I would love a cold garage to put it in.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
trust me, like the waterboy's mom, i think treadmills are the devil! part of this has to do with the fact that all i have in the garage to look at is an outdoor rocking chair, a lawn mower, two barbie jeeps, two little kid bikes and a bunch of other crap. the treadmill has espn and cnn. the tread wins.

i was never a cardio guy, period. running was for punishment and conditioning, not fun. i may have a different take on that if i can get down to the 180s. but that's 20ish lbs away and i'm a happy 200lb man right now. i eat whatever, drink a few brews. so, there ya go.

maybe in a month after the boy is born i'll start thinking about dropping some lbs.

jimjo

trust me, like the waterboy's mom, i think treadmills are the devil! part of this has to do with the fact that all i have in the garage to look at is an outdoor rocking chair, a lawn mower, two barbie jeeps, two little kid bikes and a bunch of other crap. the treadmill has espn and cnn. the tread wins.

i was never a cardio guy, period. running was for punishment and conditioning, not fun. i may have a different take on that if i can get down to the 180s. but that's 20ish lbs away and i'm a happy 200lb man right now. i eat whatever, drink a few brews. so, there ya go.

maybe in a month after the boy is born i'll start thinking about dropping some lbs.

ha ha LOL...no offense..but chances are youre going back up after the kid... a house and two kids later im still about 15lbs away from fighting weight which is about 10-15 less then when i started.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
ha ha LOL...no offense..but chances are youre going back up after the kid... a house and two kids later im still about 15lbs away from fighting weight which is about 10-15 less then when i started.

this is number three and it's a confirmed only one this time (i have identical four year old girls too) so i know what the dealio is. i'll likely be on the trainer or tread at three in the morning. ugh..

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
it's hard to believe that it's only been three days since i hit the treadmill last. honestly, i feel like a huge bag of poo.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, so i put another 40 minutes on the treadmill today. it's becoming somewhat less mindnumbing than it used to be but it's still not great. i still just watch the mileage tick....tick....tick....tick...

one thing i noticed today while i was staring at the screen was that my caloric usages for the 40 minutes were not that far off from what i normally get on the bike. in a minutes-to-minutes comparison. so, one of two things is going on: either a) the two use a very similar formula for calculating the total calories burned or b) i'm slacking on the road bike

my guess it that it could be a some of both which is interesting. if the weather ever breaks (i'm not adverse to the cold or ice, just being out on the road if my wife decides to go into labor) i'll get a quick ride in and see exactly how it compares. i think what it means is that i should be moving along faster on the road bike. figures.

either way, i did something today other than sit on my arse and shoot at other video game dorks playing call of duty on PS3.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another 30 minutes on the treadmill this am. I had planned on getting on the trainer but I got up a little too late. 30 minutes on a treadmill (aka running) is a halfway decent workout for me. 30 minutes on the trainer is about 1/5 of what I'm capable of doing and therfore seems completely useless. No, I'm not writing off the trainer. I'd like to, but I'm not. If it wasn't for the fact that I actually have to *go* to work today. Ugh.
Anyway, "tales from the trainer" likely tomorrow. Hopefully Fred &/or Maurice will chime in and tell me how great CR was today so I can imagine I was there too. :(

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
another 30 on the tread. :whoopdedo

i was hoping to get on the trainer afterwards but that don't look like it's going to happen. i really wanted to get up this morning and do all this but with my wife's c-section scheduled for tuesday i figure i should sleep all i can now. maybe tomorrow we get tales from the trainer..

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I hope I never reach the dark place where I want to ride the trainer, in your situation though, I can see it being an option.

Top Bottom