Regarding the hunters....

wonderturtle

two things:

1) I've noticed a number of hunters in Hartshorne over the last few weeks. Arent they restricted to certain time periods in January(i.e., before noon on Tues & Thurs)? What gives?

2) Even though I could never do it, I have nothing against hunting per se (especially of deer which need thinning), but dont you think its kinda lame to be hunting in parks like Tatum/ Hartshorne/ Huber which are surrounded by suburbia? I dont know. I just think setting up a blind (or whatever they call those things up in the trees) within sight/earshot of residential subdivisions is just lame. is it really fun to hunt in a place where you can hear kids playing nearby or hear garbage trucks backing up?

At Tatum I dont think they even have restricted time frames. A few weeks ago I passed a hunter on the trail and then minutes later I passed a family with a jog stroller. its kinda ridiculous. If I was a hunter sitting up in a tree and spotted a soccer mom pushing a stroller I would think - maybe this isnt really a place to be hunting. just lame.

know what I mean? kindof like "mountain biking" on the canal path.

I would think you would want to go somewhere up north where its actually SOMEWHAT "wild".

larkin42

I was thinking the same thing when riding through Hartstone. The deer are so used to seeing people around, you can almost feed them out of your hand. I am not against hunting, but I think it should be atleast a challenge. You don't even need Camo in some of these places. You could walk around the trails and pick'em of 1 at a time.

al415

Banned
Augiland posted the following information about the upcoming hunting in Hartshorne:

"Jan 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, and 29. for bow, shotgun, and muzzle loader, from half hour before sunrise- 11 am... Park will reopen at noon"

Were the "hunters" you saw armed? Perhaps they were just setting up their hides for the January bloodbath?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
what are the laws for # of yards from a residence/building (unless on private property ofcourse) that you can hunt near? I think in PA it is at least 100 yards but for some reason 300 yards sticks in my head

wonderturtle

you know al415, now that I think about it I didnt see any weapons. I saw a guy on Sunday morning and he was carrying one of those tree-thingys. so may have just been trying to find a spot for it. to set it up for the slaughter to come. and the guy I saw today in the upper parking lot was packing his car so I couldnt see what he had (although he was wearing camo). so I guess I'll have to assume that neither were hunting.

with that said, I still think its really lame to hunt in a place like Hartshorne, Huber and ESPECIALLY Tatum. what's that saying - like shooting fish in a barrel?

al415

Banned
you know al415, now that I think about it I didnt see any weapons. I saw a guy on Sunday morning and he was carrying one of those tree-thingys. so may have just been trying to find a spot for it. to set it up for the slaughter to come. and the guy I saw today in the upper parking lot was packing his car so I couldnt see what he had (although he was wearing camo). so I guess I'll have to assume that neither were hunting.

with that said, I still think its really lame to hunt in a place like Hartshorne, Huber and ESPECIALLY Tatum. what's that saying - like shooting fish in a barrel?

Funny really. If they are not yet hunting, why the camo? I mean, if you were going to hartshorne without your bike would you dress like a cyclist? I guess clothes really do make the man for these guys... :D

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i kinda agree that hunting in such small parks is kinda lame. especially when there is a lot of foot/bike/horse traffic there as well. kinda like shooting brids out of trees in your own yard. prolly not such a good/safe idea.

Panhead

what are the laws for # of yards from a residence/building (unless on private property ofcourse) that you can hunt near? I think in PA it is at least 100 yards but for some reason 300 yards sticks in my head

Jersey is 450 feet unless you have permision from the property owner in hand.

wonderturtle

the Tatum situation (where I saw a hunter and a family with a stroller on the same trail just minutes apart) really says it all.

it has to immasculating to see a mom pushing a stroller underneath your tree. kinda deflating to the ole hunter image.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I belive its muzzle loader season at least in some parts of the state. I used to go in berkshire valley during this week probably 15 years ago though. Never got into hunting though, too much sitting and waiting for me. Love the deer jerky though!

wonderturtle

"Do hunters a favor and stay out of parks during hunting season."

well thats kind of a hard thing to do at certain parks since there dont seem to be too many restrictions on hunting. if we were to stay away completely "during hunting season" there would barely be any parks to ride in "during hunting season"

believe me. during those posted times when Hartshorne is closed to hunting - the LAST place I would want to be is that park!!

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

Well in New Jersey on state land you cannot hunt on Sunday. Save your riding for Sundays and quit your bicchin.... I dont know anything about nothing when it comes to your silly small parks down in the south NJ. Big parks have enough room that killers, and pedalers can coexist in peace.

wonderturtle

okay, not exactly sure what anyone was "bicchin" about. but whatever.

psst....Monmouth County is NOT south Jersey :hmmm:

Last edited:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Is it any lamer than you walking your smart ass into a grocery market? I can only imagine what the guy in camo thinks about some weekend warior decked out in lycra tip-toeing around in a pair of italian shoes. The deer and hunters where in Hartshorn well before suberbia and bikes. Oh, and on top of taxes - NJ hunters contribute directly to parks and services, what do you contribute besides criticism? Give me a wave next time you see me in a tree.:2guns:

Panhead

psst....Monmouth County is NOT south Jersey :hmmm:

Anything south of the Driscoll bridge west to Somerset Co. is South Jersey to us Northern folk;).

I agree with FFT, hunters contribute millions to the state through taxes and licences. Hunters wear camo to blend in, the deer might be able to be hand fed, but when they see something up in a tree that doesn't belong there they tend to leave. Not going to go into the whole overbreeding thing. Bottom line is its hunting season, people are in the woods with weapons and yes some don't belong there, but if a biker or even a hiker gets hit with some spray unless its 12 pellets in the boiler house, I'd say not the hunters fault. Just use common sense, would you go road riding at night with no lights dressed in black?

wonderturtle

never said I had a problem with hunters and I said that I understand the need for them. I made that point quite clear actually. I guess you missed that.

I never put down hunting in general. just think hunting in suburban parks is lame. not much of a "hunt" really. looks like we have some overly-sensitive hunters here. :cry:

"but if a biker or even a hiker gets hit with some spray unless its 12 pellets in the boiler house, I'd say not the hunters fault." do you REALLY think a hunter that mistakes a hiker or biker for a deer should have a weapon in his hand? Really? of course you dont.

at some parks like ( I think Tatum, 6 Mile, Allaire) there dont seem to be too many restrictions - they are "multi-use" parks (or some term like that) - so that BY DESIGN bikers/hikers/hunters are all in the park at the same time. I NEVER COMPLAINED about that. never did. but some of you seem to suggest that if the hunters are in the park then all others should stay out. if that's your point, then who is the one bitching here? not me.

I have no problem being in a park when hunters are around. never said I did. I just trust that hunters can tell the difference between a human on a bicycle and a whitetailed deer. doesnt seem that hard. hey Panhead - if you are unable to tell the difference, just let me know when you are going to be hunting so that I can stay away.:getsome:

Panhead

Wonderturtle- Ain't starting crap here just stating where there are deer there are hunters. The 12 pellets mean a point blank shot, with buckshot the pattern expands the further out you go. Dont worry about my shooting I don't fire unless I know 1 shot will drop the deer, I hate hearing about how "that thing was running so fast I emptied my gun trying to hit it". Or the guy from Paterson that shot a goat. FWIW- I try to stay out of the woods during the 6 day firearm season just because alot of guys don't belong out there.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I still disagree about the lameness, here is why:

Hunter pays $$ to gain access to a public park, buys arrows, clothes, stuff that smells like deer piss, applies deer piss scent to the clothes, wakes up early, humps gear into woods, has less than 10% chance of taking a deer, gets lucky, kills deer, takes deer to butcher - or butchers himself, eventually feeds his family meat that he put on the table.

You go to Wegmans or Wholefoods and buy tofu or raisins or whatever you live off, kick back infront of your computer and criticize the dumbass who sat in a tree all day?

If there were deer walking around the parking lot at Pathmark - I'd hide under my truck and shoot him in the ass just to get fresh meat that I took on my own. BTW deer meat is very low in fat and mightly yummy, if you get a chance at some fresh steaks - give em a try, it will shed some light as to why those guys are freezing in a tree with less than a 10% chance.

Top Bottom