What have you done to your bike today?

SAM

Just finished lower leg service on the Fox 36 Float Grip2 fork and the air sleeve service on the Float X Shock. Replaced the o-rings and seals on both.

I wasn't sure if it was time. It's only been seven months since new and they still feel okay. I have just over a 1,000 miles on them, which is way over the recommend 30 - 50 hour service interval, so I thought I'd learn how. They looked pretty good when I cracked them open. Seals were in good shape too.

In the future, I think I'll do it on an every six months schedule but maybe not replace the seals every time, depending on riding conditions.

Fox recommends sending them in for the full service rebuild every 125 hours or once a year!! I'm not sure if people follow this schedule but it seams excessive, especially considering the cost and downtime. For what it costs, you could buy a brand new fork after about five years, and half that time if you ride a lot and follow the 125 hour recommendation. I'm thinking I'll wait until the suspension feels like it needs it. Or, will I regret this?

Cassinonorth

In the future, I think I'll do it on an every six months schedule but maybe not replace the seals every time, depending on riding conditions.

Seals every other service is pretty normal. Foam rings every time.

Fox recommends sending them in for the full service rebuild every 125 hours or once a year!! I'm not sure if people follow this schedule but it seams excessive, especially considering the cost and downtime. For what it costs, you could buy a brand new fork after about five years, and half that time if you ride a lot and follow the 125 hour recommendation. I'm thinking I'll wait until the suspension feels like it needs it. Or, will I regret this?

I think the issue is your fork doesn't go from "hey this is great" to "oh this is terrible" overnight. More of a slow degrading thing. That said, I don't think most people send their fork out annually...If I kept my bikes for longer than a year I'd probably send out both shock and fork every other year. Which would be a nice thought if I didn't have a smattering of Rock Shox, Fox and DVO between my bikes.

ebarker9

On this topic, I've searched for a place to buy Fox foam rings without the seals for a while but haven't had any luck. I'm mostly rebuilding a Fox 40, which I haven't even found random off brand options for. Anyone have a source?

Ironjunk

I just bought a seal kit for my boxxer 05 it came with wipers oil seals and foam rings. Do the foam rings replace the oil seals?

ebarker9

I just bought a seal kit for my boxxer 05 it came with wipers oil seals and foam rings. Do the foam rings replace the oil seals?

I don't remember if an 05 boxxer had foam rings or not, but the purpose is different. The foam rings are meant to be a reservoir for oil just below the seals. They serve to aid in the lubrication of the seals/bushings, especially if the bike has been sitting for a while.

Edit: It looks like RWC carries replacement roam rings separately for anyone who wants to do that, along with the Fox crush washers that you go through every time you do a lower leg service (I'm sure you can get away with re-using them, but I've never tried given how cheap they are.)

SAM

Seals every other service is pretty normal. Foam rings every time.

I think the issue is your fork doesn't go from "hey this is great" to "oh this is terrible" overnight. More of a slow degrading thing. That said, I don't think most people send their fork out annually...If I kept my bikes for longer than a year I'd probably send out both shock and fork every other year. Which would be a nice thought if I didn't have a smattering of Rock Shox, Fox and DVO between my bikes.
Yeah, I heard about the slow degrading thing making it difficult to know when it's gone really bad. I think sending out every other year is reasonable. Maybe I'll find a trail section to run to better assess the slow degradation and feel of the suspension over time.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have been sending mine out every year, but i tend to ride 200-250 hrs/year per strava records. Now with another bike in the rotation i will likely do it a little less frequently but it sure does make a difference and it will be only slightly more than 12 months in between services by hours.

Cassinonorth

Good to know propain warranty process is quick and easy. Didn't like how wide the rear end was at hub interface , made starting thru axle somewhat difficult. It was close to 8 mm to wide . Once axle was tight everything lined up properly. An email , some pictures and a week later got my new swingarm.
View attachment 207937

I think I have the same issue. The rotor is rubbing on the chain stay. What did you send them?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I have the same issue. The rotor is rubbing on the chain stay. What did you send them?
Also any 2 piece rotors and or hope rotors are just to finicky to get right . My evils didn't play well with trp 2.3 2 piece rotors it was just to bulky . The reg trp steel rotors fit fine albeit tight but most frames are now .

Cassinonorth

Also any 2 piece rotors and or hope rotors are just to finicky to get right . My evils didn't play well with trp 2.3 2 piece rotors it was just to bulky . The reg trp steel rotors fit fine albeit tight but most frames are now .

It was a SRAM HS2 Rotor (2.0mm wide) but I could tell just putting the thru axle on it was compressing the rear triangle inward quite a bit. It wasn't just skimming the frame either, it was making a decent connection with it.

I'm gonna measure later but my first thought was "...this isn't a super boost frame, right??". It was wiiiiide.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finished swapping parts over to new dj frame , she's smooth . Can't wait to actually hit some dirt jumps this year .
20230316_170226.jpg

Top Bottom