Hot Tub / Spa

ekuhn

My goal for 2023 is that I'm going to purchase a hot tub for personal use at mi casa. We've decided we are looking for an 8x8 with 6 person seating, inclusive of a lounge chair. Since this is the go to website for all home improvements, looking to see if anyone has any pointers, guidance, needed/recommended upgrades, etc.

Stopped at National Pool the other night to chat with the sales guy, but the 24 year old Assistant Manager couldn't close an umbrella let alone a sale on a hot tub.

@Mtbdog whats the electrical code requirements? I have plenty of panel space for 220 50a. Do I need a disconnect within 5ft outside of the unit? GFCI breaker? Assuming its #8 wire for a run 50ft or less. Yes I plan on pulling a permit.

I still have paver work to do to slap this bad boy on, which I'll lock down once I purchase the unit.

Picture for reference, but this is the direction we are heading in:
IMG_9144.jpeg

How I'd like it to end:
AggressiveBoringBighornsheep-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_590a052abed6ee77944479412344386c_411d187f_1280.gif

ebarker9

I'm interested as well. The previous owners of our house ran wiring to an otherwise very odd, on grade wooden deck area, presumably for a hot tub and my wife has been bugging me about getting one. My main issue that isn't the cost is just dealing with the type of place that sells hot tubs and and the general "Tiger King" design aesthetic of the things.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Salt water with ozone for sanitizer.
Still need to shock after a heavy use but much nicer than bromine.

50amp gfci. Run #6 in conduit/flex with insulated #10 ground. Outside shut off visible from tub. I used an a/c pull.

Infinity edge means the water stays at same level no matter number of people. Keeps the water in. Which is more important with salt.

Don't put it too far from door to inside.
Having an app that lets you know status is nice. Esp if you run it in economy mode vs ready mode. They can put on about 1 deg every 15 minutes.

Dont believe what they tell you about electrical consumption. Going to be at least $100/mo in winter. $30 in summer.

Last edited:

JerseyPete

6 person because you want to invite friends or 6 person because you want the multiple positions and jets?
I am looking at smaller options but the bigger ones are nicer.

w_b

I have a Hot Spring Vanguard for like 15yrs now. Outdoor; bromine, runs 24/7 at 94deg. unless in use. Nothing major, problem wise, but not perfect. WAY better than the shitty Balboa crap I had at my other house. Been thru a couple covers. Disposable but pricey.
#Hottublyf once you go, you know.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
6 person seems like a lot to me too. I’m thinking of a 4 person

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Cover lift system is also important - this can be pulled onto the tub from inside it.

6 person 7x8 with infinity edge...

IMG_5105.JPG

can fit more kids tho - suntan lotion requires additional defoamer.
Waterfall is nice, but shut it off when not in use. it just adds to evaporation.
Notice same water level.

1673409095755.png

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Sundance spas
owner since 2003
Many DIY repairs at this point including rebuilding the frame a few years back.
6 is way big, more water, more chemicals and bigger utility bill.
Mine does not cost that much per month, but I have a thicker cover and add additional insulation during winter.
We require showers and hair tied up before entry. Always used dichlor

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Def do it. Works wonders after a ride or run. We had a stand alone in Hillsboro house - needed a subpanel for it. Here in FL it's attached to the pool so all integrated.

Mtbdog

My goal for 2023 is that I'm going to purchase a hot tub for personal use at mi casa. We've decided we are looking for an 8x8 with 6 person seating, inclusive of a lounge chair. Since this is the go to website for all home improvements, looking to see if anyone has any pointers, guidance, needed/recommended upgrades, etc.

Stopped at National Pool the other night to chat with the sales guy, but the 24 year old Assistant Manager couldn't close an umbrella let alone a sale on a hot tub.

@Mtbdog whats the electrical code requirements? I have plenty of panel space for 220 50a. Do I need a disconnect within 5ft outside of the unit? GFCI breaker? Assuming its #8 wire for a run 50ft or less. Yes I plan on pulling a permit.

I still have paver work to do to slap this bad boy on, which I'll lock down once I purchase the unit.

Picture for reference, but this is the direction we are heading in:
View attachment 204570

How I'd like it to end:
View attachment 204571

View attachment 204573
@Patrick pretty much nailed it. 👌 #6wire is recommended. You need to make sure to have 4 wires to tub. Two hots (black and black), one neutral (white ), and one ground. A disconnect between 5 ' to 15' from tub.

mfennell

My wife has been bugging me for, um, 20 years. We have a huge deck that's 12 or 15 feet up which would be perfect if it could work. Last year, I went as far as to ask my contractor friend over to take a look. He told me to call an engineer to look at it first. That's where I stopped. :)

I've been thinking it would be good for exactly what @rick81721 said. Post ride.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
My house had one when we moved in. We used it in the summer/fall but as soon as winter hit our utility bill went through the roof. Had a friend of a friend come over and told me the insulation around it sucked, and the cover was not thick enough. Once the cover got water logged and froze I was done. I couldn't believe how expensive the covers were and didnt want to deal with the higher utility bill. Took a reciprocating saw to it in the spring.

ekuhn

6 person because you want to invite friends or 6 person because you want the multiple positions and jets?
I am looking at smaller options but the bigger ones are nicer.
Go big or go home! Na, just in the ones I've used in the past, they've always been 6 or bigger and I like the extra space for friends. I'm not confined where I'm putting it.

Cover lift system is also important - this can be pulled onto the tub from inside it.

6 person 7x8 with infinity edge...

View attachment 204612

can fit more kids tho - suntan lotion requires additional defoamer.
Waterfall is nice, but shut it off when not in use. it just adds to evaporation.
Notice same water level.

View attachment 204613
What brand is this infinity tub?

Sundance spas
owner since 2003
Many DIY repairs at this point including rebuilding the frame a few years back.
6 is way big, more water, more chemicals and bigger utility bill.
Mine does not cost that much per month, but I have a thicker cover and add additional insulation during winter.
We require showers and hair tied up before entry. Always used dichlor
How do you add insulation? Just jam some bat insulation behind the panels?

Def do it. Works wonders after a ride or run. We had a stand alone in Hillsboro house - needed a subpanel for it. Here in FL it's attached to the pool so all integrated.
This. Plus I work hard and I want to relax, sleep better, and enjoy life.

My wife has been bugging me for, um, 20 years. We have a huge deck that's 12 or 15 feet up which would be perfect if it could work. Last year, I went as far as to ask my contractor friend over to take a look. He told me to call an engineer to look at it first. That's where I stopped. :)

I've been thinking it would be good for exactly what @rick81721 said. Post ride.
8.34#/gal at 400 gallons plus the tub is over 4k. 15ft up, I'd wanna run some quick math to check. Might just have a sleeper or two.

I can’t hear the words “Hot Tub” without thinking of this and singing the song in my head.

Hardest workin' man in sho business! Get down! Hot Tub!

ekuhn

I stopped at 3 places so far. Healthmate is in the lead - leaning towards the Caldera and saltwater system. Little money down, 0% for 5 years.

What I have noticed is that the build quality varies greatly from brand to brand. Insulation types vary from brand to brand. Its like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Saturn.

Havent pulled the trigger yet. But def getting closer.

Top Bottom