Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

xmonger

As a follow-up; I had a great time at the group ride at Hartshorne Woods! Thanks to everyone that worked so hard to create a great experience for old and new alike.

I was quite impressed with my big box store bike. With a few mods (air fork, brakes, dropper, saddle, and pedals), I didn't feel too hindered by the equipment. Of course there was one major problem with the bike. (An embarrassing one at that.)

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_130846.jpg
    IMG_20230110_130846.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20230110_130857.jpg
    IMG_20230110_130857.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 107

xmonger

The problem is that dreaded kick stand. I fixed that today.

Here the best solution I could come up with...a new (to me) bike.

Thanks @Chris(NJ) for brokering the deal with his friend Derek. The StumpJumper is in like new condition. I already put more marks on her during my test runs around at the local parks than she had before me. (White is a tough color to keep clean? lol)

Attachments

• NBD 1.jpg
    NBD 1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 101
  • NBD 2.jpg
    NBD 2.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

xmonger

@xmonger I'm in the Hartshorne area working on a house. Let me know if you want to get that bike dirty sometime. Btw, do you have your own half pipe?
Haha, I wish. There is a skate park in Hazlet. I like to go there and pretend I'm 16 again.

On Hartshorne, yeah anytime. The only issue with the "new" bike is I need to reseal the front tire, Probably need to dump fresh sealant in there and not retape?

So many things to learn...

Cole

Haha, I wish. There is a skate park in Hazlet. I like to go there and pretend I'm 16 again.

On Hartshorne, yeah anytime. The only issue with the "new" bike is I need to reseal the front tire, Probably need to dump fresh sealant in there and not retape?

So many things to learn...
How bad does it leak? I put new tires on and the rear is flat after 3-4 days. No issues on a 3 hour ride... Too cold to deal with that now, spring problems...

xmonger

How bad does it leak? I put new tires on and the rear is flat after 3-4 days. No issues on a 3 hour ride... Too cold to deal with that now, spring problems...
PO said it will go flat in a day.

I had no issues on a 45 min ride today. I will monitor and see how it is tomorrow.

xmonger

Check they are seated properly. Did you use a compressor to install the tires?
I bought the bike today already set up tubeless. I didn't ask the prior owner if the bike was converted by him or the Specialized dealer. I'm not sure if I should take the tire off to reseal and check the tape or just pour the sealant through the valve stem? If I take the tire off, I'll use my compressor to seat the bead.

Fat Trout

I bought the bike today already set up tubeless. I didn't ask the prior owner if the bike was converted by him or the Specialized dealer. I'm not sure if I should take the tire off to reseal and check the tape or just pour the sealant through the valve stem? If I take the tire off, I'll use my compressor to seat the bead.
If you want to look for leaks. Pump the tire up to 25 or 30 psi Mix a small amount of water and a heavy proportion of dish soap and get a small paint brush and paint the rim/tire bead interface, paint the valve stem. it may take a few minutes for slow leaks but you'll see the leak get foamy. you can try it on the spokes at the nipples too but thats a little more tricky. leaking at the nipples would mean its the tape. I've also had sidewalls of tires leak a lot for a while until they get coated with sealant. Usually non Tubless ready tires.
Alternately sometimes I can sit the tire on rim in water so its covering the spoke nipples (some sort of shallow pan or your bathtub) and slowly keep rotating the wheel looking for bubbles.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Try the stem fill option first

serviceguy

Unless you can pinpoint a specific leak using the soapy method previously described, I would take the tires off and possibly re-tape them if the inspection suggests to do so. If the bike had been sitting for a while and depending on the type and amount of sealant used, you may have a big chunk of gunk sticking to one spot. Unfortunately, whenever I bought a mounted wheelset my mental condition forces me to remove the tires, change the tape and scrub the inside of the tire clean, which is entirely unnecessary so I hope that is not the case for you!

xmonger

Unless you can pinpoint a specific leak using the soapy method previously described, I would take the tires off and possibly re-tape them if the inspection suggests to do so. If the bike had been sitting for a while and depending on the type and amount of sealant used, you may have a big chunk of gunk sticking to one spot. Unfortunately, whenever I bought a mounted wheelset my mental condition forces me to remove the tires, change the tape and scrub the inside of the tire clean, which is entirely unnecessary so I hope that is not the case for you!
The leak was coming from the valve stem and no amount of tightening helped. In the rear, there are no leaks, but it sounds like a marble is in the tire. No doubt the sealant has dried up good.

I think I'm going to tubes for continued light trail riding through this winter and going to re-do the tubeless setup come spring time. I ordered some tubes and tires from Specialized. I think the original tires will be fine after I scrub the insides to get the sealant residue off, so the tires are going to be spares.

Also, I think I will flip the chip to steepen the head angle and up the BB height a bit. I had some pedal strikes while climbing the other day.

Top Bottom