A Hiking Trip @ The Delaware Water Gap (Mt. Tammany) on 12-23-08!!

B

Baskharion

Hi All,

I am planning a hiking trip to Mt. Tammany on December 23rd, 2008. We are meeting there at approx. 9:30- 10:00 A.M. If anyone wants in on an AWESOME winter hiking trip, come join us and let's have some fun!!:getsome:
The weather is suppose to be partly cloudy or something like that! At least, it won't be raining or snowing (So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! ;) )

We can even carpool, since its a long drive...hit me up with an email if u r interested in carpooling & don't feel like driving :)!!

Weather:

Partly Cloudy High
28°F
Wind: WSW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Avg. High: 38°F
Sunset: 4:37 PM ET

Directions:

Dunnfield Parking Area in Worthington State Forest
is the trailhead for:
ϑ Mt. Tammany (Red Dot/Blue Blaze or Tammany Trail)
ϑ The Appalachian Trail northbound in New Jersey
ϑ Sunfish Pond NJ (Worthington State Forest)
ϑ The "Dunnfield Loop" (Dunnfield Hollow Trail to Holly Spring Trail to the Appalachian Trail southbound back to Dunnfield Parking Area)

From Interstate 80 westbound, New York, New Jersey
Continue on Interstate 80 westbound about 3 miles past Exits 4A/B/C, Stay in the right lane and take the rest area exit on the right. Continue on the service road down past the rest area, and up an entrance ramp as if to re-enter Interstate 80 westbound. Turn right from the ramp before it re-enters Interstate 80 into Dunnfield Parking Area. (part of Worthington State Forest)
If you miss the exit for the rest area ...
Stay in the right lane, and continue 1 mile farther on Interstate 80 to NJ Exit 1 "Millbrook/Flatbrookville." Turn hard left at the end of the exit ramp, and continue 3/4 back eastward along the service road, passing Kittatinny Point, and turn left at the underpass. Turn left again on a ramp that re-enters Interstate 80 westbound, but turn right from the ramp before it re-enters Interstate 80 into Dunnfield Parking Area. (part of Worthington State Forest)

From Interstate 80 eastbound
Continue on Interstate 80 eastbound through the toll plaza at the Delaware River. (No toll eastbound) Stay in the right lane and take the first exit ramp (unnumbered) in New Jersey. Continue 1/2 mile along the service road, passing Kittatinny Point, and turn left at the underpass. Turn left again as if to re-enter Interstate 80 westbound. Turn right from the ramp before it re-enters Interstate 80 into Dunnfield Parking Area. (part of Worthington State Forest)

B

Baskharion

If you do this on December 24, I'd be there! Can't make the 23rd :(

You know what Mare45, if you are serious about hiking there on the 24th, then I will reschedule it to the 24th, and probably go to RV on the 23rd for a quick hike with some friends (who are newies to all the aspects of the outdoors, I am just scared they would complain from the steep hike @ mt. tammany, and RV's hills should be no problem 4 them, at least that's what I think!!)
Then this way, I would get a gr8 two day hiking trips, which would be awesome 4 me!!! Lol ;)

Let me know if you still in for the 24th then!!

ellbiddy

I'd be down for another Tammany trip, I just got back from there not too long ago. Hopefully it's not to gross given the weather we've had. That way I can get in some skiing Wed. and hike Thurs. Let me know if you move it!

Mare

You can count me in for the 24th if you don't expect me to stop during the climb. Actually don't expect me to stop much at the top either. :) How intense are you up for?

ellbiddy - hike would be Wed, not Thurs.

Last edited:
B

Baskharion

Actually, checking out the weather now, there is some new changes!!! Unfortunately it will be raining on Wednesday, Dec 24th!!!!
But the good news is that it'll be partly cloudy (38°) on Thursday, dec 25th!!
So that being said, I am officially reschudling the trip to the 25th (Thursday) which I guess is good new for Ellbiddy but sort of bad news for Mare45 ;) Lol...
I'm still going on thursday, so ellbiddy if you want to tag along, let me know!
In the meantime, Mare45, I'm always up for a hike @ anytime, how about another trip after the holidays??? ;)

So, It's official now, Thursday the 25th!!!! Let me know if you are still in on it!!

Mare

I am off all next week, so we can plan another hike. The 25th won't work for me :( I'd much rather hike, but I already committed to family stuff.

I like Mt. Tamminy, Mt. Minsi, and other Water Gap hikes, would like to explore more of Harriman, and I love Breakneck Ridge, however I think it will be too icy to do that hike now. I am up for anywhere, pretty much.

lou_b_83

You can count me in for the 24th if you don't expect me to stop during the climb. Actually don't expect me to stop much at the top either. :) How intense are you up for?

ellbiddy - hike would be Wed, not Thurs.

I would be up for the 24th or the 26th. I live there:D

B

Baskharion

Or why don't we try to find a day when we can ALL make it?

You know what Mare45, I agree with you one hundred %!!! ;)
I am free anytime!! Off from school & have lots of free time on my hands!! Lol ;) (I know you all wish you were in my place now :D) Lol

Mare

How does Dec 28, 29, or 30 work for everyone? If it is perfect riding weather though, I vote we do a ride since they may not be as frequent these days with the crazy weather and I would like to ride as much as I can over the next 2 weeks.

B

Baskharion

How does Dec 28, 29, or 30 work for everyone? If it is perfect riding weather though, I vote we do a ride since they may not be as frequent these days with the crazy weather and I would like to ride as much as I can over the next 2 weeks.

Couldn't agree more, Mare45!! We should use the good days for biking and leave the so-so days 4 hiking ;) lol

Top Bottom