frame build #2

warcricket

Like a Jerk
this will be a build blog type thing for my second frame.

It will be a steel 26" hardtail ss. geometry wise, I'm still undecided on whether i want to go the freeride hartail route or if i want to essentially make an off road copy of my road bike. what ever i choose really doesn't matter, as the frame will probably be a stinker (cause it's my first metal frame).

i will be MIG welding all the joints because that's the only kind of welder i have access to. Most builders use TIG welding; however, the only advantages of TIG over MIG are that facts that it allows for greater precision and that it looks nicer. MIG, on the other hand, is a lot cheaper and easier to learn. In fact most car and motorcycle manufacturers use MIG welding on their products.

the reason I'll be making a 26er isn't treason but instead the fact that i have an unused pair of 26" wheels off my first bike which has been stripped for parts and probably will never see the light of day again.

so, what do you think i should attempt to build? :hmmm: maybe a trails frame, or a dirt jumper, or a tall bike,or a.....

p.s. expect an awesome paint job that might come close to rivaling pixy's.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
yup, gotta do the whole jig thing this time.

I've been toying with the idea of a tall bike, and i think that it'll be a separate project where i'll just weld two frames on top of each other. Just gotta find two frames... if this one comes out like poop, then i'll only have to find one. :)

but yea, i'll probably do the mutant bike first to practice welding a little.

Wobbegong

There is no shame in 26 inch wheels son!

This will be fun to watch, good luck! Take lots of photos.

Wobbegong

but yea, i'll probably do the mutant bike first to practice welding a little.

Get some scrap metal and spend a week or two on practice. This is how we learned in shop class. I'm sure you'll get a better result on the bike if you spend some time on scrap feeling out the process.

don

Sounds like a very cool project. What are you going to use for tubes? How are you going to bend the seatstays and chainstays? What kind of jig are you going to use or are you going to build from scratch.

I'd like to hear more of this as you go along. Building my own frame is something I've wanted to do for a long while now.

I'd say build a DJ frame myself. If you have any questions on geometry let me know - I've had a couple custom DJ rigs made.

ArmyOfNone

Where do you find the time for all of this? However, I want to see that paint job! You may have a customer!

I say go for a DJ, something different. Have fun!

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Where do you find the time for all of this?

it's Christmas break!!! and i have winter break in a month!

I would for for a DJ frame or a frame with EWR geometry.

ewr geometry is just down right scary. i think i'll go for something simpler for my first build.

If you have any questions on geometry let me know - I've had a couple custom DJ rigs made.

any dj frames whose geometry you would recommend?

Last edited:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i threw this together on bike cad...

frame.jpg

effective top tube length: 595mm - 23.4in
seat tube length: 330mm - 13in
seat tube angle: 72*
head tube: 114mm - 4.5in
head tube angle: 69.5*
chainstay length: 406mm - 16in
bottom bracket height: 310MM - 12.2in

kind of a mix between jackal and p series geometries. dirt jumpers, please feel free to make any suggestions.

i'll be using 4130 chromoly tubing because it's cheap, strong, and several bike manufacturers use it. However, it's heavy as balls. whatever.

Good for you, Adam! A few friends and I are considering taking a welding class at Somerset County Tech, at least to do repairs and minor fabrications (for starters).... but to create your own jig and build a frame from scratch is certainly quite ambitious! Maybe you should consider taking the UBI frame building course... and set your sights on even bigger and better horizons.

Good luck... Go get em, O brave young pioneer!

Peace,
BB

liong71er

i have little experience or as a welder(wrought iron crafmanship) stick(spot) and MIG welding. and i also would like to know if anyone knows where i can find a school(frame builder school near tristate area)

go for it man,..we like to see it when you're finish with your project!!

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
have you welded lots of tubing before?

tubing is a totally different animal than welding in a line. make sure you practice plenty on spare notched pieces before you take on the frame.

how will you be notching the tubes to fit?

don

effective top tube length: 595mm - 23.4in
seat tube length: 330mm - 13in
seat tube angle: 72*
head tube: 114mm - 4.5in
head tube angle: 69.5*
chainstay length: 406mm - 16in
bottom bracket height: 310MM - 12.2in

kind of a mix between jackal and p series geometries. dirt jumpers, please feel free to make any suggestions.

i'll be using 4130 chromoly tubing because it's cheap, strong, and several bike manufacturers use it. However, it's heavy as balls. whatever.

Numbers look really good. If you want some 2nd opinions check out the DJ forum on Ridemonkey. There are some very knowledgeable people on there: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Speaking of the chromo tubing (which I think is the best way to go) what diameters and wall are you going? It could change a lot in the weight of the bike.

FBM and T1 shows some wall and tube diameters:

http://www.fbmbmx.com/products/frames/maneaterST.php

FBM used to have wall measurements for the top and down tubes but they are using butted stuff now.

http://terribleone.com/FRAMESmain.htm

Just found Liquour has some wall measurements:
http://www.liquorbikes.com/?page_id=17

I know these are BMX companies but might give you an idea of what to use.

How are you going to handle the chainstay to BB junction? Here is a pic of what Chris @ Thick did for me a few years ago. A tad overbuilt but could give you and idea or 2: http://www.thickbikes.com/Thick_Bikes_Mtn_Jumper_6.html

Top Bottom