Nassau Trail conditions

CNJRider

Joker
Surprisingly better conditions than I anticipated this afternoon. Did both Springside and Nassau sides as well as some of Voorhees and Colombia. Little if any exposed mud or standing water on the trails. Think the leaf and pine needle cover helped as well as the recent windy conditions.

Lots of pine needles in sections with occasional squishiness hidden beneath.

20221118_140205.jpg

20221118_150005.jpg

And crunchy leaves elsewhere of course.

20221118_142729.jpg

20221118_142733.jpg

20221118_150309.jpg

Attachments

• 20221118_150005.jpg
    20221118_150005.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 50

Bikeworks

Surprisingly better conditions than I anticipated this afternoon. Did both Springside and Nassau sides as well as some of Voorhees and Colombia. Little if any exposed mud or standing water on the trails. Think the leaf and pine needle cover helped as well as the recent windy conditions.

Lots of pine needles in sections with occasional squishiness hidden beneath.

View attachment 200577
View attachment 200581

And crunchy leaves elsewhere of course.

View attachment 200578

View attachment 200580

View attachment 200582
Loving the Epic Evo?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am. Have not ridden my other bikes since. Perfect for the ride I did today which was equal parts backroads, gravel and single track with some descents mixed in here and there too. On my heavier alloy 140mm, I would’ve been fatigud by the end but the EE makes it easy.

View attachment 200619
It’s a great bike. And that’s my go to loop. There’s a lot of potential at Voorhees. I’ve reached out to the rangers offering to clean up the existing trail network in hopes to eventually expand and add, but i never heard back. I think they like it the way it is.

CNJRider

Joker
Ah good to know. I like to roadie my way through the south wstern section and only ride the trails north and east of the observatory. Rest of the park is too much hike a bike for me.

Love that zig zagging connector trail from the back of the high school down to Columbia too.

phillychris498

Ah good to know. I like to roadie my way through the south wstern section and only ride the trails north and east of the observatory. Rest of the park is too much hike a bike for me.

Love that zig zagging connector trail from the back of the high school down to Columbia too.

That's one of the best downhills around that area in my opinion. Such a gnarly descent, and you can really open it up if you start it from behind Voorhees.

This trail in Voorhees is a favorite descent of mine too. Some of the best gnar around.
1668976139779.png

CNJRider

Joker
That's one of the best downhills around that area in my opinion. Such a gnarly descent, and you can really open it up if you start it from behind Voorhees.

This trail in Voorhees is a favorite descent of mine too. Some of the best gnar around.
View attachment 200711

Regarding the trail behind the HS, so thoughtful of the school to add those little jumps in the blacktop. They must be mountain bikers too. 😆

Never tried riding that section you circled downhill. I have half hiked, half biked it going uphill and it was a royal PIA. Would need to leave my xc bike and take my burlier trail bike to tackle that going downhill. Definitely gnarly.

Bikeworks

Regarding the trail behind the HS, so thoughtful of the school to add those little jumps in the blacktop. They must be mountain bikers too. 😆

Never tried riding that section you circled downhill. I have half hiked, half biked it going uphill and it was a royal PIA. Would need to leave my xc bike and take my burlier trail bike to tackle that going downhill. Definitely gnarly.
Is this the part that leads to Nassau parking lot? If so, I've done it on the EE, totally doable. Not so fun to climb though, I agree.

CNJRider

Joker
Is this the part that leads to Nassau parking lot? If so, I've done it on the EE, totally doable. Not so fun to climb though, I agree.
That is the section in Voorhees that goes dh from the observatory and runs parallel to the road. Unless you can do trials, I don’t think this section is clearable going up.

pkovo

View attachment 200711
I concur. Such a fun section of trail and very easy to session. You can run it and ride right back up observatory road to do it again.

The section after it which starts on the other side of observatory road and eventually loops back to the road further down is pretty fun too. Definitely not as chunky but a good climb followed by a pretty fun descent and then a weird rock staircase that I've never been able to ride up. The trail at the bottom left of this circle above running over to the parking P.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

pkovo

Rode Nassau yesterday. Trails were nice and frozen but lots of leaves down on some.

After the winds we had this weekend there were several spots where trees and or branches had come down and blocked the trail. We cleared what we could as we encountered them, but some spots will likely require a saw....or maybe a team stronger than me and my 12 year old daughter.

Worst one was on Chips trail on the OG Nassau side. The west side of Chips Trail right where it crosses Nassau trail. Good sized tree down laying right along the trail. We cleared the branches, but effectively two sections of trunk are still laying there.

Attachments

• F916343A-BC26-4679-B8E2-44658BC2DB3B.jpeg
    F916343A-BC26-4679-B8E2-44658BC2DB3B.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 61
  • E5DBCF6E-BAD9-4279-AF81-1EF24F21F02E.jpeg
    E5DBCF6E-BAD9-4279-AF81-1EF24F21F02E.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Rode Nassau yesterday. Trails were nice and frozen but lots of leaves down on some.

After the winds we had this weekend there were several spots where trees and or branches had come down and blocked the trail. We cleared what we could as we encountered them, but some spots will likely require a saw....or maybe a team stronger than me and my 12 year old daughter.

Worst one was on Chips trail on the OG Nassau side. The west side of Chips Trail right where it crosses Nassau trail. Good sized tree down laying right along the trail. We cleared the branches, but effectively two sections of trunk are still laying there.

that area seems to lose trees - and they bring lots of vines with them.
I'm working over in the commons, so not sure i can get over there.

the locals take care of it pretty quickly when they find out.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode it this afternoon starting around 1:00 and trails were great. Only a few wet areas out to the Foran parking. The rest was dry. Almost prefect conditions, if not for some leaf cover.

As did we. In fact you may have passed us leaving as you were starting your ride. We were the GMC in the Foran Fields lot.

Reactions: SAM

SAM

As did we. In fact you may have passed us leaving as you were starting your ride. We were the GMC in the Foran Fields lot.
Actually, we parked in the Columbia Trail Parking lot. Took the trail to Foran parking as an out and back about half way through the ride. May have passed you at some point, though. What a beautiful day for late Nov!

pkovo

Rode today. OG Nassau trails were fine and mostly frozen or dry. The bottom of Springside had warmed and was damp. It wasn't crazy wet, and Springside up in the woods and out of the sun may have been fine, but I just stuck to the old side and did a few laps on the trails that were not wet.

krink

Eddie Munster
I am. Have not ridden my other bikes since. Perfect for the ride I did today which was equal parts backroads, gravel and single track with some descents mixed in here and there too. On my heavier alloy 140mm, I would’ve been fatigud by the end but the EE makes it easy.

View attachment 200619
any chance you would post that as a route?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions