any trail reports?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm trying to plan my ride today and i'm wondering if anyone got out and what the conditions are like. obviously i'm talking about up north...away from the 501. anyone?

damn do i wish i took brett's advice and bought cross county skis this summer!

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
not up here, we got all snow.

my experiments with the nokians last year yielded that unless the conditions are ICE they are no better or worse that a well spaced tread.

xc62701

I was just in the Tourne about an hour ago. It's too deep at the moment. It was almost rideable. Once it compacts a little more it'll be good to go. Tomorrow at best.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
x/c skis boots and bindings maybe $150 tops and I'm sure you can find a good deal right at the moment...

Maurice

Round Valley was rideable this morning, though a hell of a workout. A crust of ice that's just weak enough to break under your weight. Still, very nice out, lots of grip, considering (Nevegals 2.35, around 25 psi pressure). Awesome.

Tomorrow should be ok in the morning, but if it thaws it will be unrideable, guaranteed. I really can't tell what it's going to be like looking at the forecast...

olegbabich

It was very rideable today. A mix of mud and ice on the trails. All of the log piles and water crossing bridges are covered in sheet of ice. Little bit cold, my water bottles were frozen solid in just over an hour. Tomorrow will be better.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
x/c skis boots and bindings maybe $150 tops and I'm sure you can find a good deal right at the moment...

I just priced a pair of rossi's at dover ski & sport and for everything it was $300. I didn't think that was too bad. I exercised a little restraint (for once) and didn't leave with them.

Well, I figured that the woods would be dicey today so I opted not to go. I still may hop on the CXish raleigh and cruise around a bit. Who knows what this next storm will do...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just priced a pair of rossi's at dover ski & sport and for everything it was $300. I didn't think that was too bad. I exercised a little restraint (for once) and didn't leave with them.

Try princton ski or pelican I have found dover to be a little pricey, it has been a few years since I bought my last pair. Also go to high point and rent a pair and play, they groom the trails there or use too. Not sure with all of the state cut backs if they got affected....

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Skied at Harriman (close to Ringwood) today. About 9 inches and very good cover. Had some density. Should be good to tomorrow as well, and now there is a track set :rolleyes: for any less ambitious.

Half way into our ski, a hiker asked if a machine came through to lay the track. We looked at each other and chuckled, .. "your looking at it" "runs on waffles and fig newtons!"

Enjoy it while you can.:)

p.s. I have heard that Waway, Minni and High Point may be closed due to ice storm damage. May be wise to call first, if you are heading up there.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Skied at Harriman (close to Ringwood) today. About 9 inches and very good cover. Had some density. Should be good to tomorrow as well, and now there is a track set :rolleyes: for any less ambitious.
Half way into our ski, a hiker asked if a machine came through to lay the track. We looked at each other and chuckled, .. "your looking at it" "runs on waffles and fig newtons!"

Enjoy it while you can.:)

I skied the local golf course this afternoon. Conditions were ok, the snow was a little too glassed over and frozen which made it tough to control but it was fast.
Any x-country skiers using a metal edge on there skis(back country skis). I was wondering how it works out, I currently have a touring set-up. A touring set up has its limitations on ice & crust.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been really itching to get a pair of back country, I'm also on the touring ones but everytime I go out and see someone on a set it's i like got to get them! Impulse is a terrible thing I've now owned a pair of snowshoes for like three years and yet to use them:confused:

mtn_goat

Did some snowshoeing up in West Milford, tried to get to the flagpole on the top of Upper Greenwood Lake. Had to park at the Utopia deli, since the trail head parking area was not plowed, so heading to the flagpole was going against the ridges and pretty far away, lots of ups and downs over ravines and streams etc... about 8-9 inches of snow, absolute perfect snowshoeing conditions. Did not see any exposed rocks or logs, and all of this was on zero trails, it was just forging through the woods, following the dear tracks. Saw 6 or 7 deer beds in one area where they spent the night, little round spots in the snow where they slept, they must have been covered wiht snow in the morning. Want to get out some more either Sunday morning, or Wednesday morning.

Panhead

Try princton ski or pelican I have found dover to be a little pricey, it has been a few years since I bought my last pair. Also go to high point and rent a pair and play, they groom the trails there or use too. Not sure with all of the state cut backs if they got affected....[/QUOTE]

High Point is open, just called them this morning. Heading up there tomorrow to XC for the first time.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I skied the local golf course this afternoon. Conditions were ok, the snow was a little too glassed over and frozen which made it tough to control but it was fast.
Any x-country skiers using a metal edge on there skis(back country skis). I was wondering how it works out, I currently have a touring set-up. A touring set up has its limitations on ice & crust.

Breakable is as breakable crust does, no matter the skis. I have metal edges and only need them when traversing a ravine edge.

jimjo

unrideable

dont bother today... just got back from a long hike a bike.... picture pedaling track stands

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Sorry for being so brief with my last post. Too much tequila.

In more detail, I have had both cheap touring and cheap metal edge back country, and although the back country have a bit more stability, they still land you on your face with breakable crust. Back country skis tend to be slower, but are more stable. If you are into walking around they are great, but if you like the glide action, the touring stuff is better. If I had the choice to do it again, I would go with a partial metal edge, waxable touring style ski. Personally a comfortable supportive boot does more for me than the ski. Either way it is certainly hard to justify a lot of money with the little snow we get here.

I went out again today, and it was magical. Another 3-4 inches up north. I am thankful for whatever skis I have, and my health so I can be out there with team AARP Extreeme!!!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I had the choice to do it again, I would go with a partial metal edge, waxable touring style ski. Personally a comfortable supportive boot does more for me than the ski. Either way it is certainly hard to justify a lot of money with the little snow we get here.

I went out again today, and it was magical. Another 3-4 inches up north. I am thankful for whatever skis I have, and my health so I can be out there with team AARP Extreeme!!!

I hear ya, I am looking to kick & glide when it comes to x-country.
Going to try the downhill at Mountain Creek tommorrow, I'll be sure to have my medal edges for that.;)

G

Greenman

I went out snowshoeing in Norvin Green State Forest yesterday and today and had a blast. I'm waiting for trails to firm up again to take the mountain bike out in the snow.

Top Bottom