PVC to Brass?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trying to figure out what I'd need to connect a new slop sink to an existing brass/copper drain. I'd prefer not to cut for a rubber coupler, so trying to see if there is anything that could potentially thread on so I can use the existing p trap.
IMG_7650 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I doubt a tail piece will thread on. Take the trap piece to the plumbing store, see what they got. If not,....

Cut the copper stub-out and put a female sweat on threaded coupler (plastic always threads inside metal so it doesn't crack when expanding) the transition to PVC slip joint, then std p-trap

If it is bathroom, it might be 1.25"

1.5"cu x 1.5"FPT
1.5"PVC MPT x 1.5" slip
P-trap kit

I'll grab the links in a seconds.

Here is a sweat on transition.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
This is a "maybe" to thread onto the current trap

or a giant sharkbite so no torch involved

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Why not, it's the easiest repair that will work.
Cut copper pipe were it joins copper 90, use fernco coupling to adapt 1.5pvc j trap. Done.

I did this for one of my drains. It's still easy to take apart to clean out.

It works - but if exposed it is ugly!
Make sure it is the armored/banded coupling - code compliant.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
One more reason to cut it and add a slip joint. There is no way to ensure the drain of the sink will line up over the trap.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One more reason to cut it and add a slip joint. There is no way to ensure the drain of the sink will line up over the trap.
Yeah, I may like that sweat slip joint best. It's just a laundry sink so I don't care what it looks like, but just don't trust the Fernco stuff as much. They always look like a hack repair. I also found a double sided 1 1/2 Sharkbite that should work. I did 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 slip joints in the bathrooms, but those are all moved to PVC. This section of the house has concrete under the floor by garage and can't replace existing piping here easily, especially after tiling already.

Patrick

Staff member
Top Bottom