Juicy 5 Problems

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hi,

I just bought a used bike (Stumpy Comp), came with Juicy 5's. The rear tire had a flat so I took off the wheel to switch out the tube. After I put the wheel back in, I found the rear brakes were rubbing and not spinning very well. I adjusted the rear caliper, but it still has a slight rub and makes a bit of noise. It is spinning pretty good, like 99.5% but not quite 100%. Is this somewhat normal and I just need to use the brake for a while for it to go away? I spent like 2hrs trying to get the caliper exactly right, but the slight rubbing/noise is the best I could do.

In my effort to adjust the rear caliper, I took off the front caliper to see if it would help me figure things out. I didn't find anything different and put it back on. Everything bolted back on fine, but found that the front brake lever is now too de-pressed. When I brake, the lever touches my fingers, not good. Why would this happen? Do I need to bleed?

I guess one mistake I made was not putting something in between the pads when I took off the wheels. Found this out when I did some research on the web.

Any suggestions short of taking it to the LBS?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is the rear rotor bent slightly?

Did you have the bike upside down for an extended period of time?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is the rear rotor bent slightly?

Did you have the bike upside down for an extended period of time?

I think rear rotor being bent is a possibility. When the wheel turns you hear the rubbing sound about every 1 rotation. Can this be fixed with the rotor tru'ing tool?

I had it upside down for couple of hours. Still waiting for my workstand to come. Could that have something to do with the front lever depressing to much?

Jimmy

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ive never used a rotor truing tool so i really cant help you out on that. But for a juicy 5 that cant cost more then 30 bucks?

And as for leavign the bike upside down it can cause problems. Somebody correct me if i am wrong as i am far from a mechanic... but when you leave a bike with Hydraluic brakes upside down, air bubbles in the fluid can acend to the top where the caliper is. and this can cause the brakes to grab like you are describing.

I would head to an LBS for a bleeding.Jim Vreeland at High Gear did my Juicy 5's and they were night and day afterwards...

As for the rear rotor, if its not that bad I would just ride it...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
When I brake, the lever touches my fingers, not good. Why would this happen? Do I need to bleed?

Try squeezing the front brake lever over and over until it "pumps" back up. Usually that's all they need after being upside down. If it doesn't work, it will need a bleed. If you're a DIY guy, buy the bleed kit and have a go, it may take a few shots but it's not rocket science. As for the rear rub, Jeremy is right, just ride it, if it really bugs you, get the truing wrench. Have fun tinkering:D

-Jim.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks! The squeezing over and over technique mostly worked. It still isn't perfect yet, but definitely rideable. I'll try squeezing more later.

Forgot rotors were relatively inexpensive ... I checked into the tru'ing tool options and it would cost $$ to do it properly (tru'ing stand, tru'ing tool, measuring tool). I guess I could try to eyeball it with just the tru'ing tool, but as suggested I'll just ride it since it doesn't bug me too much.

Jimmy

ellbiddy

Maybe it's me...but the I just mush the rotor gently with my hands and that has solved 99.99% of my rotor truing issues. Just have to eyeball the right spot.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I'll try squeezing more later.

I enjoyed taking this quote out of context, thanks! :D

Disc truing for the ghetto garage mechanic: Hands first, like elbid said. Just clean the rotor afterwards with your choice of carcinogenic compound. If that doesnt work, use a small adjustable wrench. Tweak real lightly. If all else fails, buy an ipod and listen to good music. The squeals just go away, its like magic.

Top Bottom