10 Tips To Avoid Looking Like Cycling n00b

ArmyOfNone

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/10-tips-to-avoid-looking-like-a-cycling-rookie/3/

or the ridiculous yellow spoke Spinergy Spox wheels that he has; no, those reasons are not the source of my laughter

Wait a sec! Those wheels rock!!!!
419231090_zuG4m-L.jpg

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
was that bike up on the rack at halters this week? if so the spokes caught my eye as soon as i walked in the door. lol.

p.s. this my 1000th post.lol

ellbiddy

That whole link just describes why I loathe a good chunk of those roadie clowns....

Shave my legs?
Wear a medium jersey when I wear a large T?

HA

The only good thing coming out of there was to not screw up a paceline and no pro kits. The rest was for road monkeys. I mean it wasn't a super serious article anyway, but sheesh! I admit I own my share of lycra, but to preach about it like you're an evangelist of the 3rd lycra church reformed is a whole new level.

Btw those yellow wheels do look awesome ;)

J-Dro

Thanks for making me laugh on a Monday morning Fred. I think comment #38 summed it up best. "This guy wreaks of douchebaggery."

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
the replys to the artical are great

no sleveless jerseys
#11: Don’t ride w/ a bento box
#12: Booties should always be black…white is OK on race day.
@LostViking:
Dude, if you’re a cyclist then you ride your bike. Riding a bike with chewbacca legs not only makes you a rolling bugtrap and a dirtbag, but it looks completely ridiculous. If it’s not “cool beyond cycling,” and that concerns you, you aren’t a cyclist.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I love the irony that not shaving your legs makes you rediculous and a dirtbag. These people are truly in their own little world.

pinkshirtphotos

I shave my legs, for a few reasons.

Spandex and socks get real itchy with hair underneath.

Easyer to clean out cuts and scrapes.

I find that most girls actually like it on guys once they get past that taboo only girls shave hump.

Makes me look faster.

Pisses the heck out of my dad (I am 18) even more then me wearing spandex... because it just "isn't the manly thing to do"

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Yeah i don't doubt that it is helpful. But I just don't see how in any situation a guy that shaves his legs has the right to make fun of a guy for not shaving theirs.

Sircrashalot

That whole link just describes why I loathe a good chunk of those roadie clowns....

I am with you. I could care less what I 'look like' when riding. If on the road, all I care about is that I am as visible as possible. In the dirt, I want to be comfortable.

For dirt, maybe the rules from the end would read more like this:

* pointing out potholes and other objects in the trail for the person behind is polite, so that they can jump or plink off them too- don’t ever bunnyhop potholes without forewarning those behind you so that they can line up to also hit them– Hogging trail obstacles is just rude- (I was guilty of that behavior)
* indicate with your hand to people behind when the group ahead is slowing so that they can jokingly check you or grab your shirt and pull you off balance as they go past you.
* If you do not make abrupt and unannounced speed or direction changes you will hit a tree almost immediately.
* never overlap wheels unless you first bang your front wheel into the rear wheel of the rider ahead a few times, making that cool knobby on knobby sound, so they know you are right there.
* if you get a flat in the middle of the pack, don't get mad at the guy behind you for laughing when you dump in the next turn. Rather than blowing by you, count on that rider to help you change the flat, while still laughing of course.
* when standing out of the saddle, be careful not to hit your head on low branches.
* if you are in a fast group and don’t have the energy to pull the other riders, stay at the back out of the rotation. Don't worry, someone will drop back to 'sweep' to make sure you don't lose the group. Mountain biking is about the ride, and riding in a group is about the group enjoying the ride- nobody gets left behind. The point is to get out & ride & have fun, together!
*If you want to turn a fun hobby into an anal retentive pursuit of perfection, ride the road with a group that shaves their legs, only drinks water from a bottle, and wants you to wave so they don't have to slow down if you get a flat!!

Sircrashalot

The above post was being written during the postings here about leg shaving & was not a result of that or a shot at anyone.....people on MTBNJ ride both and do not fall into the category of roadies being mocked!

MST.ESQ

The above post was being written during the postings here about leg shaving & was not a result of that or a shot at anyone.....people on MTBNJ ride both and do not fall into the category of roadies being mocked!

Love the comparison between roadie-MTB etiquette... :rofl: Reminds us why we love our group rides so much around here.

BTW, I don't think the leg shavers on this board took it as a shot against them. Now if you made fun of my riding thong, that would have been another story :getsome:

pinkshirtphotos

I have a downhillers etiquette when it comes to riding. Ride over everything, and "drift" <yup I said it>.... all seriousness now when I am on the road bike my ONLY concern is getting a flat far from home. As long as the bike is riding nice, and quiet it can be a good ride.

ArmyOfNone

Yea sometimes ppl can get carried away w/ etiquette. I think the biggest thing is to be considerate of others and be safe. Especially on the road.

Well i guess i can never road ride, because i am sure as hell not shaving my legs.

I will NEVER shave my legs!!! NEVER!!!!

Fred, That's an awesome shot! I forwarded the link to Jeff, at Ergon.

One of two of my fav pics from the cross season. This is the other:
419231780_gUJHa-L.jpg

Top Bottom