The DIY thread - DIYourself

xc62701

Recommendation is 60k for the first swap and then every 30k after that. I did this one at 80k and I’ll probably do it again at 140k if it goes that long.

ekuhn

Haven't done much DIY for a while and got sticker shock with 'cheap' HD paint. $40-50 a gallon is nuts. Found some passable colors in the Oops isle as well Doesn't seem like Sherwins going to have 50% off sales again this year in August. #covflationView attachment 192083
You can always ask them to add in some white, or other color if you want to modify it a bit.

What color is that paint chip. Looks very similar to what I just painted - Frosted Jade

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How many miles and did the plugs need to be swapped? My Elantra had over 130K and the plugs were still in good shape.

this is unlikely, they may have looked fine but measured gap was unlikely to have been near where it should be

w_b

Bought my 4Runner with 30K on it, finally changed the plugs at 200K. They were fine. Gaps maybe a RCH large, but fine. Truck ran fine.
OEM was: 3 NGKs on the L side, and 3 Nippondensos R side. Replaced them with Champeens and never looked back; except to notice the fuel milage dropped a lil with the new plugs..

Not recommended, but IWWIW.

JerseyPete

this is unlikely, they may have looked fine but measured gap was unlikely to have been near where it should be
I am old and still have feeler gauges. I measured the gap and it was really close. I changed them anyway because if you are going to remove them, may as well change them and I had already bought a set.
I also change the oil filter with every oil change too.
I don't do the TPMS gasket with every tire change though. I wonder about that.
I also get new rotors when I do the brakes instead of cutting the old ones. I don't know where I would even get them cut.

Last edited:

qclabrat

You can always ask them to add in some white, or other color if you want to modify it a bit.

What color is that paint chip. Looks very similar to what I just painted - Frosted Jade
Something 'mint', was trying to match a color I found on the internet on my phone. HD said they could match from the phone but couldn't direct me to a chip to compare. I'm surprised they can't do that in today's world of data management

iman29

Todays mini project was to clean up the mess from the hornet nest infestation. Glad the expanding foam suffocated them and it was an easy clean up to scrape it off.

Of course the old shitty wood kept splitting so I just added some extra screws to keep everything in place. When I do the annual “paint the deck because I can’t afford to replace it” next spring this spot will look good as new.

The deck stain literally holds this thing together. 🤣

E0BD822F-B6CC-4C05-BEF4-0068CEB4C74E.jpeg7593C0A6-DA4D-4079-8445-5B4A0777623F.jpeg52B675E7-3467-4156-9E42-CB9316D9F560.jpegE43B9478-000F-43A4-926A-845ED8AEC1E0.jpeg

JDurk

Todays mini project was to clean up the mess from the hornet nest infestation. Glad the expanding foam suffocated them and it was an easy clean up to scrape it off.

Of course the old shitty wood kept splitting so I just added some extra screws to keep everything in place. When I do the annual “paint the deck because I can’t afford to replace it” next spring this spot will look good as new.

View attachment 192218View attachment 192219View attachment 192220View attachment 192221
Looking at the pics with the hornets and remains of their nest, can't help but think of this song.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am old and still have feeler gauges. I measured the gap and it was really close. I changed them anyway because if you are going to remove them, may as well change them and I had already bought a set.
I also change the oil filter with every oil change too.
I don't do the TPMS gasket with every tire change though. I wonder about that.
I also get new rotors when I do the brakes instead of cutting the old ones. I don't know where I would even get them cut.

im probably in the same school of thought, my currently 80 yo father taught me :/ tho i have yet to pull a set of plugs at the recommended interval that were not at least 20% oversized on the gap. . . .

wait do people really not change the filter with every oil change?!?!?!?!!!!!!
and i would have no problem cutting rotors if i could find a place to cut them for less than half what a new one costs (i cant), never heard about changing tpms with every tire change, never had a problem there.

Karate Monkey

im probably in the same school of thought, my currently 80 yo father taught me :/ tho i have yet to pull a set of plugs at the recommended interval that were not at least 20% oversized on the gap. . . .

wait do people really not change the filter with every oil change?!?!?!?!!!!!!
and i would have no problem cutting rotors if i could find a place to cut them for less than half what a new one costs (i cant), never heard about changing tpms with every tire change, never had a problem there.

Last time I had it done, Norwood was pretty cheap. $10-15 a rotor, brought in... But new rotors were $25, so...

qclabrat

View attachment 192218View attachment 192219View attachment 192220View attachment 192221
What type of paint are you using? Been using porch paint but have a bunch of exterior paint I'm thinking to blend together for a custom color. Paints too expensive now to waste. But concerned it may be slippery

iman29

What type of paint are you using? Been using porch paint but have a bunch of exterior paint I'm thinking to blend together for a custom color. Paints too expensive now to waste. But concerned it may be slippery
Been going to Lowes for years and just getting the Valspar low end brand. The deck is so old I just need 2 coats each season to last from April - September. I would say it could get a little slippery after the rain or when we come out of the pool but no one has ever slipped and fell on it.

3B7811E3-2BB0-4E4E-B4EF-AC9FA545EC67.png

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last time I had it done, Norwood was pretty cheap. $10-15 a rotor, brought in... But new rotors were $25, so...

where is norwood? my cars have more expensive rotors than yours 🤣 🤣 🤣

only downside to having them turned is the wait to finish the job :/

Karate Monkey

where is norwood? my cars have more expensive rotors than yours 🤣 🤣 🤣

only downside to having them turned is the wait to finish the job :/

Norwood Avenue in Long Branch :] (they have other stores in Monmouth/Ocean County, but that's where the machine shop is). I just checked "online", and they're apparently owned by a large conglomerate now--I think I recall hearing they sold out.

Anyway, ~7 years ago, when I needed rotors resurfaced, I asked the local mechanic [who does have a machine, but only for large truck rotors], and he said they could do it, or I could just bring them to Norwood myself. I just bought new rotors, cause, price, ya know?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norwood Avenue in Long Branch :] (they have other stores in Monmouth/Ocean County, but that's where the machine shop is). I just checked "online", and they're apparently owned by a large conglomerate now--I think I recall hearing they sold out.

Anyway, ~7 years ago, when I needed rotors resurfaced, I asked the local mechanic [who does have a machine, but only for large truck rotors], and he said they could do it, or I could just bring them to Norwood myself. I just bought new rotors, cause, price, ya know?

yea i hear ya, thats too far to be worth the trip for me, o well ill just keep making more scrap metal

qclabrat

Do they make spacers for electrical work to compensate for sheetrock thickness? Seems the last work the just tried their best resulting in every outlet being loose
PXL_20220801_131510056.jpg

Top Bottom