The Kalmyk's Tinfoil Hat Happy Hour (aka Most Useless Thread on MTBNJ)

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Very long read but a fascinating exposé of Nick Clark, the ultimate cycling fake, phony and fraud.

View attachment 191742

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/04/exposed-by-a-strava-kom-the-many-lives-of-a-fake-pro-cyclist/
Holy crap that took me 3 days to get through in pieces but what a story! I have known 2 people in my life with what seems to be pseudologica fantastica but their stories were not as elaborate as his and definitely didn't hurt anyone! One was my wife's college roommate who made up a brother and later made up where she was attending grad school. That was a funny/awkward moment when she invited my wife over her parents' house one summer and my wife asked where the sibling's room was. Or when she roadtripped with my wife to visit me at college because her "brother" also went to the same school. We didn't see her the whole weekend, WTF did she go??? The other one is a current neighbor who also changes where he went to college, what his job is, or embellishes his kids sports coaching accomplishments. He's also on team Brandon with @rick81721 but way off the deep end with conspiracy theories.

rick81721

Lothar
Holy crap that took me 3 days to get through in pieces but what a story! I have known 2 people in my life with what seems to be pseudologica fantastica but their stories were not as elaborate as his and definitely didn't hurt anyone! One was my wife's college roommate who made up a brother and later made up where she was attending grad school. That was a funny/awkward moment when she invited my wife over her parents' house one summer and my wife asked where the sibling's room was. Or when she roadtripped with my wife to visit me at college because her "brother" also went to the same school. We didn't see her the whole weekend, WTF did she go??? The other one is a current neighbor who also changes where he went to college, what his job is, or embellishes his kids sports coaching accomplishments. He's also on team Brandon with @rick81721 but way off the deep end with conspiracy theories.

Yes an almost unbelievable story of concocted accomplishments.

rick81721

Lothar
Long winded but simply scroll down to bike weight for an interesting perspective. I found this while looking into Onyx hubs. They are notoriously attacked for being heavy. I concluded that the best rolling resistance and the instant engagement was worth the extra grams... 150g difference between them and I9’s. But does it matter....

Good read. I brought the weight of bike vs rider issue up in the ebike thread. Weight of the rider is far more significant.

So are onyx hubs still the gold standard for engagement/resistance? I have them on my 5 year old horsethief.

The Kalmyk

So are onyx hubs still the gold standard for engagement/resistance?

I believe they are and someone posted somewhere that Duke University did a test and ranked them as having the lowest rolling resistance on the market. I heard the comment in a comparison video against i9’s when J was pushing them on me.

Kevin mentioned in the past that they tend to drag over time. I don’t know how that’s possible with the way they are designed. Perhaps too much lube? They do highlight when servicing them that minimal grease is needed... idk what that means.

Last edited:

w_b

I believe they are and someone posted somewhere that Duke University did a test and ranked them as having the lowest rolling resistance on the market. I heard the comment in a comparison video against i9’s when J was pushing them on me.

Kevin mentioned in the past that they tend to drag over time. I don’t know how that’s possible with the way they are designed. Perhaps too much lube? They do highlight when servicing them that minimal grease is needed... idk what that means.
I'm pretty sure too much grease and you'll soon have no engagement, at least that's what friends have said (HIFAF.)

The Kalmyk

I'm pretty sure too much grease and you'll soon have no engagement, at least that's what friends have said (HIFAF.)

Yeah, good to hear real world experience. Has to be the design?

I then wonder... Does the brand of grease used really matter if they are designed to do the same thing? Is this a label game or are the blends really different? The design calls for low grease. Maybe there is a high intensity long life grease out there?

rick81721

Lothar
Yeah, good to hear real world experience. I was just guessing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I then wonder... Does the brand of grease used really matter if they are designed to do the same thing? Is this a label game or are the blends really different? The design calls for low grease. Maybe there is a high intensity long life grease out there?

paralysis-001.png

w_b

I think every SRC rear hub ever made for 157 except mine has failed. I’m like Kramer on the test drive, just can’t wait to see how far I can push it. Giddy up. I’ve started bringing my other rear wheel (DT treefiddy) in the truck JIC if I’m driving to a ride….

Top Bottom