What have you done to your bike today?

qclabrat

Put Le Crüst on a diet:

View attachment 191498

In preparation for:

View attachment 191499

Even after bending the "tombstone" more upright [wow that's hard tubing], the rack had to move forward to accommodate the decaleur. The original fenders (559x60mm, look for them for sale soon) were too short in the front to keep the bag dry, so they had to be replaced...

The Tanaka fenders (which are one of two options: them or $$$ Honjo $$$) were a supremely huge PITA, since they were delivered 1) with holes punched in them [which they were not supposed to have, according to the copy...], and 2) the rolled edge was rolled too much to squeeze the wire in for the taillight. Also, I bought what I thought was a bargain: Tanaka struts that supposedly fit Nitto racks [they do!]...except rather than selling pairs like everyone else, they're sold singly. Three strikes, and all that. My stay woes were not done, though, as the bent struts from Nitto had their length measured before they were bent--Too short! JFC, man! Luckily, the [old] front struts were long enough that I could bend them myself. The fenders were more dicey, and wound up with more slotting than I normally would have liked to get everything set in place. I wound up having to use a hooked-pick to lever out the rolled edge, install the wiring, then crimp it back in place with a pair of smooth-jaw pliers.

While I was going along replacing all the hardware, I took the time to replace all of the original steel hardware with titanium/aluminum parts, as well as chop the crap out of the overly-long seatpost. The seatpost will eventually get replaced with a lovely (and much lighter) Nitto, but this will suffice for now. The titanium screws, for the sake of ease of ordering, I bought longer than necessary for most of the parts. Ti makes lovely white sparks while cutting, and is otherwise a b****-and-a-half to shorten. Also almost set my belt sander that I never clean the crap off of on fire (yay!).
What's the current bagless weight

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
1658715938365.png

Dean S

Put Le Crüst on a diet:

View attachment 191498

In preparation for:

View attachment 191499

Even after bending the "tombstone" more upright [wow that's hard tubing], the rack had to move forward to accommodate the decaleur. The original fenders (559x60mm, look for them for sale soon) were too short in the front to keep the bag dry, so they had to be replaced...

The Tanaka fenders (which are one of two options: them or $$$ Honjo $$$) were a supremely huge PITA, since they were delivered 1) with holes punched in them [which they were not supposed to have, according to the copy...], and 2) the rolled edge was rolled too much to squeeze the wire in for the taillight. Also, I bought what I thought was a bargain: Tanaka struts that supposedly fit Nitto racks [they do!]...except rather than selling pairs like everyone else, they're sold singly. Three strikes, and all that. My stay woes were not done, though, as the bent struts from Nitto had their length measured before they were bent--Too short! JFC, man! Luckily, the [old] front struts were long enough that I could bend them myself. The fenders were more dicey, and wound up with more slotting than I normally would have liked to get everything set in place. I wound up having to use a hooked-pick to lever out the rolled edge, install the wiring, then crimp it back in place with a pair of smooth-jaw pliers.

While I was going along replacing all the hardware, I took the time to replace all of the original steel hardware with titanium/aluminum parts, as well as chop the crap out of the overly-long seatpost. The seatpost will eventually get replaced with a lovely (and much lighter) Nitto, but this will suffice for now. The titanium screws, for the sake of ease of ordering, I bought longer than necessary for most of the parts. Ti makes lovely white sparks while cutting, and is otherwise a b****-and-a-half to shorten. Also almost set my belt sander that I never clean the crap off of on fire (yay!).
I think it's a good thing to have the decaleur and tombstone a little offset. It helps support a bag more to have it a little stretched out.
My favorite fenders have been berthoud steel. Rolled edge is easy to slip wiring in. I like the simple low profile hardware thought I break a strut every 5 years. Just make sure the tightest spot of your fender line is where debris would enter - the bottom. Anything that gets in, should get out.
What tires ya runnin?

Karate Monkey

What's the current bagless weight
Without, also what wheels you got? Dyno front right?

2.3" Rat Trap Pass tires, Velocity Aileron rims, Lazer spokes. Schmidt front hub, White Industries rear. I've got the 'poor man's' SON SL--the co-axial connector for the hub allows the wire to pull free when you drop the wheel.

Bike with fenders weighs in ~26 pounds. Saddle is portly, so are the pedals. Could drop ~1 pound (more besides, but this is a mostly-metal bike) with lighter pedals/seatpost, and another bunch of grams with hollow fender stays (you can get 5mm OD aluminum tubing from McMaster/Grainger, plug the end with an appropriate screw/plumbers tape, fill with water, plug off the other side, and bend away). Without fenders, and the above modifications, I'm confident that I could bring the bike down to 22-23 pounds.

I could use a star-nut in the steerer instead of a daruma, which would save 2-3 grams, but I'm not down that far, and frankly, probably won't ever be there.

Weight is irrelevant other than for bragging rights, anyway. I've got the Serotta if I need to get somewhere in a hurry, and there's no way the fatty randonneur will get close to that weight.

Dean S

2.3" Rat Trap Pass tires, Velocity Aileron rims, Lazer spokes. Schmidt front hub, White Industries rear. I've got the 'poor man's' SON SL--the co-axial connector for the hub allows the wire to pull free when you drop the wheel.

Bike with fenders weighs in ~26 pounds. Saddle is portly, so are the pedals. Could drop ~1 pound (more besides, but this is a mostly-metal bike) with lighter pedals/seatpost, and another bunch of grams with hollow fender stays (you can get 5mm OD aluminum tubing from McMaster/Grainger, plug the end with an appropriate screw/plumbers tape, fill with water, plug off the other side, and bend away). Without fenders, and the above modifications, I'm confident that I could bring the bike down to 22-23 pounds.

I could use a star-nut in the steerer instead of a daruma, which would save 2-3 grams, but I'm not down that far, and frankly, probably won't ever be there.

Weight is irrelevant other than for bragging rights, anyway. I've got the Serotta if I need to get somewhere in a hurry, and there's no way the fatty randonneur will get close to that weight.

I think it's a good thing to have the decaleur and tombstone a little offset. It helps support a bag more to have it a little stretched out.
My favorite fenders have been berthoud steel. Rolled edge is easy to slip wiring in. I like the simple low profile hardware thought I break a strut every 5 years. Just make sure the tightest spot of your fender line is where debris would enter - the bottom. Anything that gets in, should get out.
What tires ya runnin?
I measured this morning, my decaleur is about 2" forward of my tombstone. Looking around at other pics this seems common. It seems a nice way way to keep some tension on the bag to keep it from flopping.

Karate Monkey

I measured this morning, my decaleur is about 2" forward of my tombstone. Looking around at other pics this seems common. It seems a nice way way to keep some tension on the bag to keep it from flopping.

Mine is still ~1" off on the top. The particular rack had a very aggressive (30-33°) cant on the upright.

Flopping shouldn't be a problem, and I haven't really experienced it since switching to using the stiffener setup that Ruthworks suggests.

qclabrat

Got pics? Trying to rectify a floppy bag as well

qclabrat

Also in the market for front basket struts strong and stable enough for a 12 lb dog, she may be a pandemic 14 now so let's round it up to a 15 lb limit

Karate Monkey

Got pics? Trying to rectify a floppy bag as well

Try this method:

PXL_20220728_151156408.jpg

You can see that Berthoud has Velcro to attach their bag stiffener (folded cardboard) in place, but this works as well, and is lighter, to boot (though I do need to stick some Velcro on to keep the pockets out of the way).

1/8" aluminum strip, folded, with edges rounded, then drilled to fit your decaleur. If you don't have provisions to mount the front of the stiffener, you can use more nuts/bolts...or copper rivets if you want some real street cred.

Top Bottom