What have you done to your bike today?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
can anyone confirm a BB90 mtb crank can use a Shimano BSA BB? The interwebz is all over the place, some say that its compatible, while some say the bearing sizes are different. I believe BB90s are also 24mm, and the 90 is just the BB width, so why does bearing size matter? @Karate Monkey will know as BB90 is a Trek thing

BB90 the bearings press into the frame with no cups.

Karate Monkey

can anyone confirm a BB90 mtb crank can use a Shimano BSA BB? The interwebz is all over the place, some say that its compatible, while some say the bearing sizes are different. I believe BB90s are also 24mm, and the 90 is just the BB width, so why does bearing size matter? @Karate Monkey will know as BB90 is a Trek thing
The 24mm crank will work with both.

It's FSA being shits (okay, maybe Shimano, too). They're both 24mm spindles, though using a different manufacturer's bottom bracket might wind up with a tight fit. BB90 is technically, like, a couple of millimeters narrower than a 73mm BSA external bottom bracket, but I really doubt it wouldn't fit.

qclabrat

Coffee bike ready for Jersey shore mornings
Doe missing my cup holder somewhere in the abyss...
PXL_20220721_022448441.jpg

pkovo

I am sidelined with a neck/back injury thanks to a self induced pile driver (surfing accident) so I'm doing bike upgrade/repairs.

• Finally installed a new Jumbo Jim on to my newly built up fat bike rear wheel and got that bike back in service (cracked rear hubshell months ago). I took forever to straighten it out, but I'm very excited to have that bike working again. I used a fatty stripper for the first time rather than gorilla tape or split tube which is what I've used in the past. It setup easy enough and seems like a solid option; basically a lighter split tube setup. Thanks for the wheel build Jim!
  • Installed a new box freewheel (108 POE and and slightly obnoxiously loud) on my daughters BMX cruiser along with a new chain and sprocket. She is running slightly taller gearing now...her basement squats are paying off.
  • New Grips on her class bike after a few too many crashes left the old ones looking shredded. ODI Longnecks for the win.
  • Tried to install new fork on my DJ tonight, but lower headset bearing felt notchy and was oozing some six mile looking reddish goop. Tried to clean and repack it, but it's shot. Fork install on hold, but excited to try out the new Manitou expert on the BMX track once my neck is healed and I am no longer a bobble head.
  • Tried to replace some spokes on a BMX race wheel, but failed. The spokes were cut too long. The nipples would run out of threads before I got the right tension. I threw in the towel and took the wheel to a shop to let them sort it. I suck with wheels.
  • Installed a new Stem on my daughters MTB last week. Same length, but the one I had on there was a cheapie. Although she is light as hell, her jumps are getting bigger and she is riding more and more aggressively so I figured not worth the risk to run a garbage stem. She went OTB in the Bulldog rump on Sunday and I felt good about my choice.
  • Installed new sprocket on my daughters class BMX bike...dropped one tooth up front. We geared her up a bit but went too high. It's a balancing act getting het to a point where her starts are good but she still has torque on the track. Her gearing is tall and I know she should learn to spin to win, but she is a masher and this is working so....

I might do a lower service on my fat bike fork. Then I need to chase a really annoying creak on my full suspension bike. I also want to build a makeshift gravel bike for my daughters to share, out of an old 90's Barracuda. Sucks being off the bike, but nice to catch up on maintenance

serviceguy

Finally setup the fugitive after a full suspension upgrade, Fox 38 to replace the original Fox 36, same 160mm travel, Fox X2 replacing the Fox DPS2 and the newer Fox transfer 150 in place of the original Fox 175. The older component to go on the Honzo ST whenever it will be built. I got the bike ready for the group ride today but then I was sick last night and didn’t make it.
B56C1C4D-8D06-4685-877A-8917E42C0F04.jpeg

Also bottoned up the El Gravelachi with a fresh wheelset and Ergon SR saddle.
AB7C7472-0A33-4C5F-A906-C55B3587D66B.jpeg

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

Put Le Crüst on a diet:

PXL_20220725_002625394.jpg

In preparation for:

PXL_20220724_235504099.jpg

Even after bending the "tombstone" more upright [wow that's hard tubing], the rack had to move forward to accommodate the decaleur. The original fenders (559x60mm, look for them for sale soon) were too short in the front to keep the bag dry, so they had to be replaced...

The Tanaka fenders (which are one of two options: them or $$$ Honjo $$$) were a supremely huge PITA, since they were delivered 1) with holes punched in them [which they were not supposed to have, according to the copy...], and 2) the rolled edge was rolled too much to squeeze the wire in for the taillight. Also, I bought what I thought was a bargain: Tanaka struts that supposedly fit Nitto racks [they do!]...except rather than selling pairs like everyone else, they're sold singly. Three strikes, and all that. My stay woes were not done, though, as the bent struts from Nitto had their length measured before they were bent--Too short! JFC, man! Luckily, the [old] front struts were long enough that I could bend them myself. The fenders were more dicey, and wound up with more slotting than I normally would have liked to get everything set in place. I wound up having to use a hooked-pick to lever out the rolled edge, install the wiring, then crimp it back in place with a pair of smooth-jaw pliers.

While I was going along replacing all the hardware, I took the time to replace all of the original steel hardware with titanium/aluminum parts, as well as chop the crap out of the overly-long seatpost. The seatpost will eventually get replaced with a lovely (and much lighter) Nitto, but this will suffice for now. The titanium screws, for the sake of ease of ordering, I bought longer than necessary for most of the parts. Ti makes lovely white sparks while cutting, and is otherwise a b****-and-a-half to shorten. Also almost set my belt sander that I never clean the crap off of on fire (yay!).

Top Bottom