Pickups and bike racks

MTB Aussie

Cool news for me, I got a new vehicle finally (I had hoped to get a replacement bike before the replacement car but it was not to be). Anyway, I got a Honda Ridgeline pickup and now want to poll pickup drivers on how they carry their bikes. I see three options, hitch rack (uggghhh - dont want another bike death on my hands), roof rack (it has a factory rack) or some kind of bed mounted rack or rear of cab rack with fork mounts.

Please chime in if you have experiences with the bed mount stuff (I have done roof and hitch before). Of course, when it's just me I can carefully lay the ride down in the back and roll, but I like to posse up and then I need to be more organized.

Cheers,
Tim

al415

Banned
I don't own a pick-up but the two guys I ride with each drive trucks. I found the Thule 501 Insta-Gater Truck Bed Bike Rack when one of them asked me to look for an upright truck-bed rack. He never bought it, so I don't know how well it works. Also, it would seem to me that a little creativity would enable you to mount a traditional upright rack (designed for a car's roof say) in the bed of a truck.

BiknBen

Please chime in if you have experiences with the bed mount stuff (I have done roof and hitch before). Of course, when it's just me I can carefully lay the ride down in the back and roll, but I like to posse up and then I need to be more organized.

While I have never owned a pick-up, I ridden with others who had one. I always found the bed-mount options to be the most convenient and cheapest options. I know someone who used U-bolts to secure an actual front hub to the truck bed.

You can get the fork mounts and secure them to the rails or the bottom of the bed. There are other types that use a load bar across the bed with fork mounts on it. One caution, these truck bed fork mounts tend to be the least secure from theft. They are often just a quick-release. Get a decent cable lock.

I'd be tempted to just through them in the bed and go.

MTB Aussie

<snipped>

You can get the fork mounts and secure them to the rails or the bottom of the bed. There are other types that use a load bar across the bed with fork mounts on it. One caution, these truck bed fork mounts tend to be the least secure from theft. They are often just a quick-release. Get a decent cable lock.
A lock is a must! the truck has a bunch of solid looking tie downs that will be good mount points for locking.

I'd be tempted to just through them in the bed and go.
The way I drive I don't want them banging around, but I the first couple of efforts will be done like this. - Thanks!

lou_b_83

I just got rid of my truck. I have these you can have for $15. They worked great for me. Used them for less than a year. They are made by Rec Rac. They have built in "D" rings so you can use a cable lock.

Attachments

• truck bed rack.jpg
    truck bed rack.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 108

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Also, it would seem to me that a little creativity would enable you to mount a traditional upright rack (designed for a car's roof say) in the bed of a truck.

Creativity...
A buddy of mine mounted a couple of floor racks onto a 1' x 3 1/2' plank. He puts this in the back of his van, rolls the bikes in and secures them further with tie downs or bungees. It does an amazing job of keeping the bikes solid and stable and it's a conversation piece that brings a smile.

After a charity ride this fall when everyone else was leaning their pricey bikes against cars and trees and curbs, Leigh pulled the rack out of the van for it's second purpose. I tell you, our bikes were looking pretty hot standing there all pampered in their dual rack. It was just so special.

I'd vote for creativity rather than chancing your bike getting scratched or tossed around in the truck bed, at least until you settle on your permanent set-up.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

THULE insta-gator

That's the only way!!!
I have one. Land one on sale at EMS when they have a sale. Worth the money. It's really strong. It's held my downhill bike up and in addition to that I have bungeed two other downhill bikes to it. That one thing can hold 3 downhill bikes! And the setup barely budged while driving.

Does the Ridgeline have a long enough bed to fit bike in? :hmmm: If not you're gonna have to just go with the fork mounted option.

Wobbegong

I have a pick up and use a hitch mounted Tule T2. I used to use a basic bed mount rack but found it to be a pain. I love not taking the wheel off the bike. The T2 is just so easy.

If you plan to get a tonneau cover, the hitch rack works best.

Climbing to the roof rack on a pick up isnt ideal.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You have made a excellent choice in truck IMO only because I own one too I got roof rack only because I pull a camper and leaves room for packing the bed up but sometimes find if I'm riding local I just throw it in the back bed. Did you get a roof rack? If not go to http://www.cheaphondaparts.com this is where I got my accessories for alot less. by throwing it up on the rack it leaves the nifty trunk in the bed accessible...

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
if you can weld, make something like this...it holds the bikes sturdy, allows me to lock them up, and cost me about 70 bucks in steel and hardware

Attachments

• P1010365.JPG
    P1010365.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 114

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
i had the hollywood rack whaen i had a truck not bad at all except there were no locks on it. i used it at the begining but after a while i just tossed the bikes into the bed i got lazy and if it was just me why take the wheel off if the whole bike fit. also think about the type of bike u and the guys u ride with. if u don't have a qr axel the bed blocks won't work

don

if you can weld, make something like this...it holds the bikes sturdy, allows me to lock them up, and cost me about 70 bucks in steel and hardware

Not that I have pickup but that setup looks good. Seems like it goes with the ease of having the open bed of a pickup - not just tossing the bike in but also not taking up time strapping things down. Nice job.

djm

I just got rid of my truck. I have these you can have for $15. They worked great for me. Used them for less than a year. They are made by Rec Rac. They have built in "D" rings so you can use a cable lock.

Still have em? I'll take em off your hands. What truck did you have these on? Did you have a bedliner? I have a 98 Sierra long bed with liner.

Last edited:

VanDbtRiver

yakima locking bed heads. they are inexpensive and can be clamped to the rim of the bed or modified to fasten to a 2x6 inside the bed. rocky mounts are good too.

brybry57

just use tie downs and pull it to the cab side of the bed ... no need for anything to hold the front wheel I have transported my dirtbikes like this for countless years the only thing is when you have a mtb or road bike strapped down like this do not pull the tie downs too tight or the back wheel will lift off of the bed

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a great method for putting bikes in my T-100. Place in bed, dont lay on derail., drive away. Have yet to have any damage. If I get crazy, ill lock the frame to the tow hook. Best of all....FREE!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One more trick open backseat doors pull up benchseat with one flick roll bike in shut door and press lock the beauty of the ridgeline as advertized...

mwlikesbikes

I newer under stood why guys with open pickup beds use a roof or hitch mount rack. In my F-150 I have 3 fork mount holders bolted to a 2x6 and secured to the tie-down cleats in the back of the bed. I've got a cap so security is not an issue.
On my old truck I had an open bed with a plastic cargo box in the front of the bed I and bolted the fork mount holder directly to it.
The ridgeline bed is half the size of mine I believe so your results may vary.
Your options are pretty open if you like to fab stuff. Good luck with the new wheels. :cool:

MTB Aussie

I have a great method for putting bikes in my T-100. Place in bed, dont lay on derail., drive away. Have yet to have any damage. If I get crazy, ill lock the frame to the tow hook. Best of all....FREE!

So far this approach sounds good... :):) I like free, especially after laying out for this vehicle, and soon to lay out for a bike, and Christmas bills to pay and and and and :(

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
pick-ups & bike racks

my last auto was a ford ranger w/sport pack

in the bed of the truck i had a liner and i had a sweet cover on top of flat bed

now i have ford taurus and tule rack

the set-up leaves much to be desired

sice my two month old yukon fx (giant) has sustained significant damage not so much on the trail, but in transporting the bike in the car

when i put bike in the back of the station wagon front wheel first, the handle bar gets stuck on the rear seat belt straps

this messes up the bike cables, ( how the pro's spin the front handle bar w/o getting cables stuck i dunno )

So after taking bike to lbs and getting rear break cable fixed, i took off wheel, but must have jammed the front brake caliper by forcing the front wheel in , i asked can i re mount the front wheel via turning the bike up side down and lbs mechanic said yes

also, when i put several bikes on the tule (3 - pack ) bike rack, the 3 bikes seemed to get damage

lbs already pointed out not to scrach the "shiny" part of the front fork, as it may cause seepage to the stuff in the fork (t.m.i. ....)

Top Bottom