WTF is up with those SRAM brakes?

BPaze

After shipping one of my bikes across country with some rough handling I noticed that I had a leak at the brake line- lever interface. I was loosing my bite every few weeks even with rebleeding. I cut off the last inch and resealed the connection and it hasn’t been a problem since. If you have the room to do so, I would start with resealing the ends of the brake lines and re-bleeding. I would do that before the piston seals. Not saying they’re bulletproof, just think they’re as good as the others. To me all else seems like preference.
No they are definitely as good as any other brand which is why I am still holding them I really want to figure them out. they define 1 finger braking with ease. Will definitely try this out, think I am going to try them again on a new bike build I am doing soon.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
contaminated rotor? try someone else bike with sram brakes for confirmation?

carvegybe

So I had my bike in for a service and asked the bike shop to look into my SRAM G2 RS brakes: are they performing as a SRAM brakeset would be expected to perform? The bike shop technician kindly cleaned the brakes, did some magic with the pads and handed me the bike saying the brakes are fine. So now I know this is just normal SRAM brake performance and not any contamination issue, but coming off 2-pot XT brakes I just can't get used to the G2.

So I decided to pull the trigger and replace. Will be posting the G2s for sale here in due course for those of you who prefer modulation over actual braking. Will include rotors too.

That said, I would welcome advice about what to get. Based on my 2-pot XT experience, I don't think I need 4-pots, so thinking the following with a 160/180 rotor setup:

XTR 9100s
Magura MT8 Raceline
Magura MT8 SL

or

"Shigura" with XTR calipers and Magura levers - apparently this works. Magura levers have more adjustability than 9100s

Any advice?

My default assumption is to go XTR, but the Maguras look great and are cheaper....but not too many reliable reviews.

Thanks!

one piece crank

Call me crazy, but I put G2 RSC brakes on my fat bike and they are fantastic in both power and modulation.

Also, a bicycle mechanic is not always a disc brake mechanic - if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

serviceguy

If going to Shimano I would consider XT 2 or 4 pots, are XTR worth the price hike for s few grams? Also, if considering a mix Magura/Shimano, what fluid would you use and would that require some updating of the seals/gaskets given that Magura uses DOT and Shimano mineral oil? Just curious.

P.S. Magura does use mineral oil, sorry for the brain fart.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shimano brakes are so easy to bleed and have a ton of power. 2 piston XTs are enough for 99%. XTRs are lighter but you need the little hex key to adjust the lever position.

All that said I have SRAM level ultimates on my Epic and they are just as powerful as the XTRs I had on my Turner.

ebarker9

If going to Shimano I would consider XT 2 or 4 pots, are XTR worth the price hike for s few grams? Also, if considering a mix Magura/Shimano, what fluid would you use and would that require some updating of the seals/gaskets given that Magura uses DOT and Shimano mineral oil? Just curious.

Magura is mineral oil based as well. I've seen some discussion that there isn't perfect compatibility between Shimano and Magura fluids/seals, but there are a ton of people seemingly riding the "Shigura" setup with no issues.

I have MT5s on both of my bikes and I'm really happy with them. Only real downside that I've seen is that the pads and general service parts are a bit harder to come by and can be really expensive. I'd consider Shigura if I didn't like the Magura levers, but they seem to work well for my hands.

Also liked the Shimano brakes that I've had in the past, but I definitely had reliability issues similar to what others have described. Namely, wandering bite point and lever just straight up going to the bar without warning a few times. These issues may be overblown but it wasn't something that wanted to risk.

carvegybe

Call me crazy, but I put G2 RSC brakes on my fat bike and they are fantastic in both power and modulation.

Also, a bicycle mechanic is not always a disc brake mechanic - if you know what I mean.
But he rides bikes. He knows what brakes should feel like, no? If he says they are performing normally then I guess the problem is me. I don't like them.

carvegybe

Magura is mineral oil based as well. I've seen some discussion that there isn't perfect compatibility between Shimano and Magura fluids/seals, but there are a ton of people seemingly riding the "Shigura" setup with no issues.

I have MT5s on both of my bikes and I'm really happy with them. Only real downside that I've seen is that the pads and general service parts are a bit harder to come by and can be really expensive. I'd consider Shigura if I didn't like the Magura levers, but they seem to work well for my hands.

Also liked the Shimano brakes that I've had in the past, but I definitely had reliability issues similar to what others have described. Namely, wandering bite point and lever just straight up going to the bar without warning a few times. These issues may be overblown but it wasn't something that wanted to risk.
Shimano and Magura use mineral oil. {Edit: replied to the wrong message, there was a separate post on this]

carvegybe

So I am looking into Hope dealers in the USA..there seem to be none on the East Coast. Where did you get your Hopes?

Top Bottom