using your mtb instead of your cross bike

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
just as a disclaimer, this is not a thread to call anyone out or anything like that...just to start a discussion.

at the race in phillipsburg yesterday there was a guy racing with the C's that brought both a mtb and a cross bike with him. he kept talking about how he left his cross bike in the pit and rode his mtb for the race because he thought the course favored a mtb.

i have to say that i dont feel like that is really the point of cyclocross. I like the fact that you can use a mtb for a cross race, it helps to bring in more people, but if you have a cross bike, you should be racing it regardless of the course, thats kind of the point of a miserable cross race...

thoughts?

ArmyOfNone

That guy put him self at a huge disadvantage with that decision. The course did require some technical bike handling ability, but it was far short of anything requiring a mtb.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
yeah sounds it kinda defeats the purpose to me. kinda like going to a nascar race and being like "you know what, ima use my formula one car instead".

THATmanMANNY

I agree. He shoulda raced his cross bike and pit his mtb.
But whatever floats his boat. Until they put a ban on mtb's tho I don't have any complaints.

Maybe he was just too scared to admit he didn't want to hear his rim brakes go to shat. (ccccuuuurrr grinding away cuuuuurr)

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I try not to focus on the bikes other people ride when I'm racing them. It doesn't affect my experience one way or another and getting your head wrapped up in worrying about what someone else chooses to ride is a bad way to lose focus on your job at hand- riding faster.

It's up to promoters to design courses that favor the bikes they want people to ride on them. I don't care for mtb races that prohibit cross bikes- if promoters are putting together such weak courses that cross bikes would have an advantage, then they get what they deserve. By the same token if a cross course doesn't have enough high-speed hammer sections to put mountain bikes at a disadvantage, then it's doing the racers a disservice.

Gotta love C racers showing up with multiple bikes and plotting out strategy like that, though. ;)

BiknBen

Gotta love C racers showing up with multiple bikes and plotting out strategy like that, though. ;)

I'm glad this was said. I'd like to expand on that but don't want to be called a troll, start a flame war, and be banned.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
at the race in phillipsburg yesterday there was a guy racing with the C's that brought both a mtb and a cross bike with him. he kept talking about how he left his cross bike in the pit and rode his mtb for the race because he thought the course favored a mtb.

That my friend, is why he was racing with the C's!! How long did it take for him to get lapped?:D

-Jim.

Top Bottom