Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

I had 4 beers in January. Each one was great and I looked forward to each one. I will keep to my lessened alcohol schedule but I’m going to try to only have when I really want one. I’ve been riding the seltzer train so that has helped. Oh and it’s been 6 months since I’ve had soda. That’s the bigger struggle. Both are big wins for me!

Hey. It's February! Congrats to those who abstained or dialed it way back.

As a daily drinker for the last 10 months of last year, with some very poor decisions sprinkled-in, breaking the habit was important to me. Hopefully roll along with a new normal.

Cheers!
With cherry seltzer, of course.

My last beverage was 11:36am on 1/2/22, a pint o' Guinness, when we cleared the fridge of all the food and beverages not permitted on the fitness plan. Dry January just happened to be the same time. Successfully fought the urge to have any beer or bourbon. The fitness plan does allow alcohol during the 1 weekly cheat meal and max of 2 drinks.

Sleep is way better, weight is down, general aches and pains are non-existent. May break the cycle this Saturday with a visit to the new Tonewood location and cheat meal at the local.

Definitely going to keep up the limited consumption for awhile.

I am going to ride this train and Whole 30 thru Feb and maybe longer. Just kinda of locked down anyway so might as well be a bit more healthy.

Well done, I wrapped my Whole30 today too.

Actually we did ~25 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then started again on Jan 3rd. I'm feeling good and down 15 lbs just from cutting the crap (0 bike time or other exercise). I'm looking forward to a beer but planning to keep it reasonable, not devolving back to "weekend" drinking from Thurs-Sun. It helps to have the Mrs on board for all of it. We've done a bunch o W30 over the last 5-6 years, but it had been quite a while since the last one, and a well needed reset.

Well done, I wrapped my Whole30 today too.

Actually we did ~25 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then started again on Jan 3rd. I'm feeling good and down 15 lbs just from cutting the crap (0 bike time or other exercise). I'm looking forward to a beer but planning to keep it reasonable, not devolving back to "weekend" drinking from Thurs-Sun. It helps to have the Mrs on board for all of it. We've done a bunch o W30 over the last 5-6 years, but it had been quite a while since the last one, and a well needed reset.
Nice. Sounds like a great ride! Well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb
I dropped out of the pack for the weekend and I feel like trash. The Mrs has the same assessment. I picked up some nugget nectar on Friday just because. They were good going down, but by the end of the night/Saturday morning I was swiftly reminded of what I don't like about drinking. Rinse and repeat Saturday night since we had a date night planned and yep, the second test of the hypothesis yielded the same results.

Going forward the plan is to keep it mostly Whole 30 and limit the drinking. Sticking with the green when needing to unwind.

I dropped out of the pack for the weekend and I feel like trash. The Mrs has the same assessment. I picked up some nugget nectar on Friday just because. They were good going down, but by the end of the night/Saturday morning I was swiftly reminded of what I don't like about drinking. Rinse and repeat Saturday night since we had a date night planned and yep, the second test of the hypothesis yielded the same results.

Going forward the plan is to keep it mostly Whole 30 and limit the drinking. Sticking with the green when needing to unwind.
Don’t look back, just move forward! Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves of what we already know. At some point I am sure to have some beers and have the same experience.

Joined the falling off club yesterday. Dropped into Tonewood's new facility during the afternoon. It was packed. Had 1, then walked across the street to the local and had 3 more. Feeling it today from the crappy sleep.

Don’t look back, just move forward! Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves of what we already know. At some point I am sure to have some beers and have the same experience.

Agreed 100%. Between lack of exercise and consistently waking up early to chase the little ones I needed the reminder. This is also making me want to get back on the bike which I'm looking forward to!

Ordered up a couple 6s of the new BrewDog AF
Will report back.

I continue to be amazed at how quickly i can wake-up in the morning.
Open eyes around 5:00 most days. Maybe sleep a bit more, or just jump up and get rolling.
Get quite a bit done before anyone else starts stirring.
Now to do something useful with the time! (a whole different problem)

Back
Top Bottom